Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pete78

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
My trusty HP photosmart printer recently died, so I'm looking for a replacement printer. I will be using it with my iMac, though I would like airprint capabilities to print from the iPad as well.

Any recommendations for a printer that works well with OSX/IOS, and can scan/copy and handle photo printing decently?

Thanks

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm happy with my Canon PIXUS MG62xx

It goes via wifi and speak AirPrint and can also scan to my iPad (Canon iEPP) and Mac.
Printing photos I don't do too often; I prefer real processed photos from those shops you find lots these days.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
All-in-ones tend to be not great at one or more of their functions; driver support on OS X can be variable for the non-standard print/scan functions.

If you liked your HP, why not get another model by them? HP have taken on board AirPrint across most of their range.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Mine just died too. I bought the hp officejet pro 8600 at staples for $150. Set up took under ten minutes. Scans and prints from both iMac wirelessly no problem. Print looks great. Air printed from iPhone and it even did dual sided printouts automatically. Faxes too if you need to communicate with someone from The 80s. Just see if u can get a test print of a photo cause I have separate photo printer and can't tell u how good this one is for photos. Oh you can also eprint. Which means u can send a file from anywhere in the world to a special email address which then sends it to your printer at home.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
This thread pretty much covers it, but the Epson Expression XP-600 is on sale right now for $20 more than the XP-400, which does auto-duplexing, prints faster than the XP-400 overall and does photos in high quality. Might be worth a look over the XP-400.
It also comes in an Epson Expression XP-800 flavor, with an automatic feed, Ethernet and a build-in fax.
61c1pE0H8YL._AA1316_.jpg
61qyMQskbQL._AA1171_.jpg

Apple sells you these along new Macs, so you known that they're decent and well supported.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's a good discussion on printers going on right now over at macintouch.com

Worth checking out...

jMunar

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Check out the Epson WF-2540, retails on Apple.com for $130, I got it on sale at my local Walmart for $70. Easy to setup, prints pretty fast for an inkjet. The quality of the print is pretty darn good when set to good quality. The wireless printing is smooth and it connects shortly after you press the print button. Only had it for a week so I haven't tried printing photos yet. Only con is the top flatbed cover feels flimsy like its going to break but what do you expect for a $70 printer. If you're looking for a decent all-in-one budget printer for OTA printing I'd take at look this one.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
This thread pretty much covers it, but the Epson Expression XP-600 is on sale right now for $20 more than the XP-400, which does auto-duplexing, prints faster than the XP-400 overall and does photos in high quality. Might be worth a look over the XP-400.
It also comes in an Epson Expression XP-800 flavor, with an automatic feed, Ethernet and a build-in fax.
61c1pE0H8YL._AA1316_.jpg
61qyMQskbQL._AA1171_.jpg

Apple sells you these along new Macs, so you known that they're decent and well supported.

I just picked up the xp-600 from staples .. setting it up now .. for anyone interested in this printer .. staples is selling it for 99$ until the 23rd

kcblosser

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
I just purchased an Epson Workforce WP-4530 from officemax for $180 a few weeks ago and have been thoroughly impressed with it. Cost of ink is reasonable with very high yields (3-5,000 pages) and speed is quick. I have it setup in a small office with 5 computers printing to it with no problems so far.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I've had similar excellent results with an Epson WorkForce 845. Had it now for 15 months with zero problems and only one change of the large capacity ink cartridges.

richard0403

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Suggestions

My trusty HP photosmart printer recently died, so I'm looking for a replacement printer. I will be using it with my iMac, though I would like airprint capabilities to print from the iPad as well.

Any recommendations for a printer that works well with OSX/IOS, and can scan/copy and handle photo printing decently?

Thanks

Hi there! Why don’t you try Brother or Kodak for your iMac. I actually use a Brother MFC7860DW Printer for my Apple products and they are just a perfect match. :) Those two brands are by far considered the top all in one printers. Hope I was able to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.