Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I'm sure most of you have noticed by now that firewire support is no more. [Confirmed by clayj] What does that mean to us Mac users?

iPod Tech Specs said:
Mac system requirements
Macintosh computer with USB port (USB 2.0 recommended)
Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

Well the new iPods are inpractical for me, even though I own a 17" powerbook. Yes, at one time they didn't come with USB 2.0, meaning I'm stuck with old USB for transferring songs with the new iPods. That isn't as big of a problem with the nano, but with a 60 GB iPod, it's simply impossible.

One implication for everyone, not just older mac users, is that one now cannot boot Mac OS from the iPod, since one cannot boot from USB external drives. It was rather nice to have a backup boot drive on my iPod in case of emergencies.

I'm not sure why they dropped FW as it was a distinctive feature of the iPod, but they do what they have to do. Unfortunately, my next iPod won't be this generation of iPods.

Bring back firewire!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
has anybody clarified that you actually get a message if you try to sync with FW like the nanos?
USB 2.0 has been in all macs for how long now? At least a year I'd say.
I'd rather have a thinner ipod then FW.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sky Blue said:
has anybody clarified that you actually get a message if you try to sync with FW like the nanos?
USB 2.0 has been in all macs for how long now? At least a year I'd say.
I'd rather have a thinner ipod then FW.
I understand the halo effect and all, but not everyone has a one year old computer. Many of us have older computers that work just as well. Apple did take a while to adopt USB 2.0 after all, I remember when I bought my computer that USB 2.0 was out for nearly a year if not longer. When I bought my computer, I figured that FW was a standard that was here to stay, and I see now I was wrong. With iPods anyway.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
True, but if I had to choose between thinner iPods or supporting older hardware, that'll eventually be replaced, i'd have the smaller ipod please.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Outside of Mac users, I don't think many PC users give a rat's ass for FireWire. Sad, but true. Ninety-five percent of those 6 million odd iPods sold last quarter were probably to PC users. Again, sad but true.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I understand that many people still use firewire, but at some point complaining about only having USB 1 is going to be like complaining that the Mac Mini doesn't have ps 2 ports or something.

I would go for a smaller ipod over firewire.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
mad jew said:
I'm also annoyed that if they kill FireWire, then we won't really be able to boot from most generic external drives (USB ones at least). :(

Hopefully Apple will add USB boot support on newer Macs to compensate, somewhat, for this. Although, obviously, this won't help current Mac owners (unless they can do it through a firmware upgrade).

Anyone know if this has been added to the new iMacs?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apple is behaving just like any stupid PC-centric company.
If they really cared about Mac users, they would at least produce a FireWire<->USB2.0 converter.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
cube said:
Apple is behaving just like any stupid PC-centric company.
If they really cared about Mac users, they would at least produce a FireWire<->USB2.0 converter.
I've been looking for such a device. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I have a 1GHz 17" iMac that I love, but without USB2 it's starting to have some problems. If there isn't such a converting device I hope one comes out soon, though as everyone has posted above, no one cares about Firewire and old Mac users so I guess I'll just suffer

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Original poster
I too have been looking for a Firewire to USB2 converter with no avail. I first looked because I was looking at getting a new scanner (they're almost always USB2).

I suppose I'm lucky enough that I can buy a PC Card to get USB2 support, but like the iMac user above, overall we're out of luck.

Very frustrating.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
you mean to say that if i buy a new iPod i can't just use the old firewire cable from my 4th gen iPod?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!!! i know apple hasnt shipped firewire cables with the iPods for a while, but do they absolutly not work with firewire?!?! if so im in serious trouble, i have a 1st gen 12"PB with only USB1 and no PCMCIA slot to upgrade to USB2 what can i do!!!

wPod said:
you mean to say that if i buy a new iPod i can't just use the old firewire cable from my 4th gen iPod?!?!!?!?!?!!?!!!! i know apple hasnt shipped firewire cables with the iPods for a while, but do they absolutly not work with firewire?!?! if so im in serious trouble, i have a 1st gen 12"PB with only USB1 and no PCMCIA slot to upgrade to USB2 what can i do!!!

Hook the new iPod up to your USB1 port, then clear your afternoon schedule and choose from anyone of the following rewarding activities:

Play poker with the methadone addicts at the local clinic.
Plant a tree.
Work on the platform for your mayoral campaign.
Write Haiku influenced by the photography of Ansel Adams.
Stare blankly into space; try to direct the drool out of the left corner of your mouth only.
Clean out your refrigerator and attempt to systematically categorize each species of green and white mold you find.
Make macaroni portraits of all the popes of the 15th and 16th centuries.
Take a shower. Wash, rinse, and repeat 9,276 times. Start over if you lose count.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Over Achiever said:
I too have been looking for a Firewire to USB2 converter with no avail. I first looked because I was looking at getting a new scanner (they're almost always USB2).

I suppose I'm lucky enough that I can buy a PC Card to get USB2 support, but like the iMac user above, overall we're out of luck.

Very frustrating.

The problem is that the device would more than likely be expensive and require AC power to run. It's possible, in concept, but there would be a slim market for that direction of conversion (even slimmer than the overall market for FW peripherals other than cameras).

The reason Apple can move away from Firewire with its new iPods is that they've been out for four years now, and people with pre-2002 (and perhaps the holdover model or two from 2003) have all had at least two years to buy an iPod. That iPod will continue working with your computer. In order to upgrade to a new iPod, you need to have a recent computer (which in this case means ones less than two years old). It's the best way to keep the technology moving forward and the prices low.

wPod said:

Absolutely no Firewire support. There is no Firewire hardware in the new iPod through which that support could be provided, and it will not be added. You should not buy a new iPod until you have a new computer.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I've got it, hopefully it would work at least for Powerbook 15 and 17 users.

Grab yourself a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and rock and roll.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I've got a FireWire-capable 60 GB iPod Photo (with FireWire cable) for sale over in the Marketplace forum, if you really need a recent FireWire-compatible iPod. :)

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Superdrive said:
I've got it, hopefully it would work at least for Powerbook 15 and 17 users.

Grab yourself a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and rock and roll.

The only people in trouble, I think, are early 12" PowerBook/iBook models and 2003 iMacs. The other computers can all be upgraded to USB 2.0 or have had it since 2003. It's marginalizing a small minority of Apple customers, who are in turn a small minority of iPod customers.

A little bit frustrating, but the Macintosh and the iPod, despite being from the same manufacturer, are sort of agnostic of each other, almost being two separate brands.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
matticus008 said:
The problem is that the device would more than likely be expensive and require AC power to run. It's possible, in concept, but there would be a slim market for that direction of conversion (even slimmer than the overall market for FW peripherals other than cameras).

The reason Apple can move away from Firewire with its new iPods is that they've been out for four years now, and people with pre-2002 (and perhaps the holdover model or two from 2003) have all had at least two years to buy an iPod. That iPod will continue working with your computer. In order to upgrade to a new iPod, you need to have a recent computer (which in this case means ones less than two years old). It's the best way to keep the technology moving forward and the prices low.

Absolutely no Firewire support. There is no Firewire hardware in the new iPod through which that support could be provided, and it will not be added. You should not buy a new iPod until you have a new computer.

Well, that's not completely true. As with the nano, you can charge your iPod with firewire, you just can't transfer files. :mad:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
anonymous161 said:
Hook the new iPod up to your USB1 port, then clear your afternoon schedule and choose from anyone of the following rewarding activities:

Plant a tree.

. . .

well, i do like that idea. but i think in the long run i would end up turning dallas into a jungle from all the trees i would get to plant! b/w loading video podcasts and (hopefully soon) fox TV shows (such as the simpsons!!) man, maybe im better off throwing down $20 bucks or so and putting a USB2 card in my (can i really say this out loud?) windows PC!!! its old, it has a PIII, but it has iTunes and since its a desktop i could drop in a PCI card. . . how ironic . . . i got a 1st gen iPod 10GB which was so cool i bought an iBook, and now with the 5th gen iPod im going to have to use it with a windows machine!!! maybe ill just turn my windows machine into a music server, that would allow me to clear a lot of room off the HD of my PB! then just listen to music and watch video on the iPod . . . kinda a rip off.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
jholzner said:
Well, that's not completely true. As with the nano, you can charge your iPod with firewire, you just can't transfer files. :mad:

That's not the case at all. The Firewire cable contains wires that carry power, which are connected to the +/-DC power pins in the dock connector. Nothing "Firewire" is being used to charge the iPod.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
matticus008 said:

um, want to give me a hand with buying a new computer? i think a new iMac would look great with a new iPod!!!!

matticus008 said:
The only people in trouble, I think, are early 12" PowerBook/iBook models and 2003 iMacs. The other computers can all be upgraded to USB 2.0 or have had it since 2003. It's marginalizing a small minority of Apple customers, who are in turn a small minority of iPod customers.

i feel so small and insignificant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.