Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking at my options for a Mac Mini in the studio, definitely want 2 thunderbolt displays one for logic session window and one for my mix window but they will be daisy chained together on one thunderbolt port, can i then use the hdmi to run a older dell ultrasharp for my BPM clock in my live room? would this work? can the mini drive 3 monitors?

Cheers

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi,
Looking at my options for a Mac Mini in the studio, definitely want 2 thunderbolt displays one for logic session window and one for my mix window but they will be daisy chained together on one thunderbolt port, can i then use the hdmi to run a older dell ultrasharp for my BPM clock in my live room? would this work? can the mini drive 3 monitors?

Cheers

My understanding is only the 2011 Mid-mini with the 6630M could run 3 monitors. The only way you can add a third is to use a USB to VGA/DVI/etc. connection. These aren't ideal, but the only way to push a third display.

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies, so the only way to do it is using one of those adaptors then, I can't do it how I said above?

Cheers

I've been told you can daisy chain TB but when I got mine I didn't shell out the cash so I don't really know. I think without the adapter or dongle you're out of luck.

I think the adapter is more expensive but my guess is that it's probably going to be a higher quality and less lag. I only have experience with the dongle (on an OptiPlex 780) and it works well with MAYBE a few millisecond delay.

sportster

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I've heard that the TB can power 2 TB Displays on the Mac Mini, could you then use the HDMI out to a 3rd display (via HDMI or DVI)?

It's not the most cost affect method, with the TB Displays costing around 1k each.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
The Late 2012 Mini will only natively drive 2 monitors.

When you plug-in the 3rd, one of the others will go black. I've tried it. There is also an Apple technical document available with the details.

The ability to drive 3 displays is one thing I miss about my old 2006 Mac Pro 1,1.
--

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
The Late 2012 Mini will only natively drive 2 monitors.

When you plug-in the 3rd, one of the others will go black. I've tried it. There is also an Apple technical document available with the details.

The ability to drive 3 displays is one thing I miss about my old 2006 Mac Pro 1,1.
--

care to post the link of the apple document? Im also planning to use 3 monitors on my mini. Thanks

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
question on possibly using 3 monitors on a 2012 core i7

My monitors
- 2 samsungs with DVI ports
- visio 42 hd tv with hdmi ports

my adapters and cables
- minidisplay (comes with the MM)
- mini display port to dvi
- iogear usb to dvi adapter
- dvi and hdmi cables

will this setup work?
1. MM thunderbolt port <-> samsung monitor dvi using the mini display dvi abd iogear adapter.
2. MM usb port <--> samsung using minidisplay adapter that came with the MM
3. MM hdmi port <--> Visio hd tv using an HDMI cable

~ Aloha! ~

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
The USB adapter could work. Your BPM meter isn't all that graphic intensive, like a 3D game or a CAD application. That adapter won't be crunching vertex calculation. It will only display a 2D screen of information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.