Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I read that there is a way to force install iOS 6 only apps (like Tapatalk 2 etc) on iOS 5.1.1 by changing the minimumiOSversion value using iFile or something. This file is the one related to the app so changes done will probably affect only this app (??).
Has anyone done this ? Are there any risks ?
I am on iOS 5.1.1 with an iPhone 4S and as of now i don't wish to go to iOS 6.x.x

bun.bhay

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
Seatown
I read that there is a way to force install iOS 6 only apps (like Tapatalk 2 etc) on iOS 5.1.1 by changing the minimumiOSversion value using iFile or something. This file is the one related to the app so changes done will probably affect only this app (??).
Has anyone done this ? Are there any risks ?
I am on iOS 5.1.1 with an iPhone 4S and as of now i don't wish to go to iOS 6.x.x

changing the system version from ios5.x to ios6.x doesnt work. whether from the phone itself or from itunes. you wont be able to purchase apps from the appstore from your phone because of the requirements. although you can possibly purchase apps through itunes but it wont install. good thing to know when an app goes on sale. ex. i was on ios5.x but tricked itunes i was on ios6.x so i can get the sale price of tapatalk. at that time it was $0.99. once i make the leap to ios6.x i can install it. i dont really see no effects from it but the appstore will look kinda wonky and not functional until you revert it back to ios5.x. jus a heads up.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
I do not intend to change the info.plist of the iPhone (if there is one, idk) but only for the specific app. I suppose that will not affect app store or anything else ?
I do not wish to trick the app into thinking my phone is on iOS 6, rather i want to edit the minimum iOS version in the app's info.plist to iOS 5.1.1 to enable getting the app installed.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Its very possible to install iOS6 apps on iOS5

I don't see the point, most apps wont work, a few apps might launch but crash during use, and a very very select few might work.

Worst case scenario you might even have to restore your device, its not likely, but trying to run untested syscalls and such on wrong firmware can do crazy stuff if some system part crashes.

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Its very possible to install iOS6 apps on iOS5

I don't see the point, most apps wont work, a few apps might launch but crash during use, and a very very select few might work.

Worst case scenario you might even have to restore your device, its not likely, but trying to run untested syscalls and such on wrong firmware can do crazy stuff if some system part crashes.

Yup i am only scared that i don't mess up to the point that restore become necessary. Since i am on iOS 5.1.1 and do not wish to go to 6.0 anytime soon, restoring is not an option and saved SHSH blobs are probably not useful.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
restoring is not an option and saved SHSH blobs are probably not useful.

Actually if you originally updated to 5.1.1 via iTunes and not OTA, and if you have full, complete SHSH blobs which include the APTicket, then you can re-restore to 5.1.1 using redsnow. But you need to meet all these requirements. Here's the link for more info...

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/33546509336/restoration-reinvigoration

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
It doesn't matter if you have 5.1.1 SHSH blobs for an iPhone 4S, there is currently NO way to downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5 with the 4S.

You can go from iOS 5.x to iOS 5.x on the 4S, but not iOS 6.x to iOS 5.x.

Regarding iOS 6 on the 4S, just upgrade. iOS 6 includes hundreds of new features, tweaks, fixes, etc, and it runs GREAT on the 4S, better than iOS 5 did.

There were a lot of API and core changes in iOS 6. On the outside, it looks just like iOS 5, but the "guts" are different. Trying to "fool" an iOS 6-only app to run on iOS 5 may just lead to crashes.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
It doesn't matter if you have 5.1.1 SHSH blobs for an iPhone 4S, there is currently NO way to downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5 with the 4S.

You can go from iOS 5.x to iOS 5.x on the 4S, but not iOS 6.x to iOS 5.x..

Great minds think alike! The OP, if meeting all the requirements, might be able to re-restore to 5.1.1. That's a beautiful luxury to have, but I COMPLETELY agree with you on the 4S and iOS6. My 4S has never run better than it does now with 6.1.2. Incredible battery life, safari is so freaking fast its hard to believe its the same browser I ditched back in the day, and the entire UI is noticeably better than it was on 5.x. Animations are very fluid.

So yea, having the luxury of re-restoring to iOS5.x is nice, but the 4S is a better device with iOS6.x installed. Who knows, maybe someday MuscleNerd and the team will release a tool to allow re-restores on iOS6.x like they did for iOS5. As far as I know, it hasn't been 100% ruled out yet.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Great minds think alike! The OP, if meeting all the requirements, might be able to re-restore to 5.1.1. That's a beautiful luxury to have, but I COMPLETELY agree with you on the 4S and iOS6. My 4S has never run better than it does now with 6.1.2. Incredible battery life, safari is so freaking fast its hard to believe its the same browser I ditched back in the day, and the entire UI is noticeably better than it was on 5.x. Animations are very fluid.

So yea, having the luxury of re-restoring to iOS5.x is nice, but the 4S is a better device with iOS6.x installed. Who knows, maybe someday MuscleNerd and the team will release a tool to allow re-restores on iOS6.x like they did for iOS5. As far as I know, it hasn't been 100% ruled out yet.

The iPad 2 as well, you need one 4.x blob, downgrade to that, then you need a 5.x blob and upgrade to it.

Done it before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.