Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday updated its investor relations page to note that it will announce its earnings for the second fiscal quarter (first calendar quarter) of 2013 on Tuesday, April 23. The earnings release typically occurs just after 4:30 PM Eastern Time following the close of regular stock trading, and the conference call is scheduled to follow at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

earningscall.jpg
MacRumors will provide running coverage of the earnings release and conference call.

The release will provide a look into the strength of iPhone 5 and iPad mini sales into their second quarter of availability amid reports of weakening sales at the company. Apple's stock has taken a bit of a beating in recent months with Goldman Sachs dropping AAPL from its 'conviction list' and continuing concerns about Apple's ability to innovate without Steve Jobs. Apple's stock is off nearly 15% since last quarter's earnings call.

Apple reported strong results three months ago with iPhone and iPad sales both up significantly year over year.

Last quarter Apple changed how it provides guidance, choosing to offer a range of guidance for what the company believes it can achieve, rather than a point prediction. Apple provided guidance for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 for revenue of between $41 and $43 billion and gross margin between 37.5% and 38.5%.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q2 2013 Earnings on April 23

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
you know what would be great ? that apple report another record breaking quarter and the stock would drop again. :rolleyes:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
A day in the life of Apple's current executive management team... Count our money... File lawsuits... and if there is any time left over for developing innovative news products... ah screw it, that can wait.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Apple called the "JC Penney of tech" this morning by Jim Cramer. I'm sure Tim Cook will issue an apology shortly.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
It's been almost 6 months since the last Apple product event (Oct. 16th), they need to announce something new soon!

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Just invested a bunch of my $$$ into AAPL... Hoping for an unexpected quarter, increased dividends, or split announcement! I know the latter is very unlikely. Lol

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
IIRC Apple announced WWDC dates the day after their Q2 2012 earnings. I think they often announce things the day after earnings so we may hear some news on the 24th.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i smell bad iPhone numbers over here in Europe.

i know i know own experience doesnt mean anything but all i see is Samsung nowadays and people seem to have a strong opinion on the new HTC One as well.

im the only one of my close 8 friends to still have an iPhone :eek: it used to be all iPhones

maybe announce 10.9 and iOS7 on the same day to keep all those analysts calm ;)

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Just invested a bunch of my $$$ into AAPL... Hoping for an unexpected quarter, increased dividends, or split announcement! I know the latter is very unlikely. Lol

So you just gambled a bunch of your money hoping for great results and in hopes for some profit without any analysis or sound judgement?

Way to carelessly throw your money away.

Might as well play the lottery and buy tickets equal to the amount of a share of Apple.

----------

Apple called the "JC Penney of tech" this morning by Jim Cramer. I'm sure Tim Cook will issue an apology shortly.

He said that? Ouch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
i smell bad iPhone numbers over here in Europe.

i know i know own experience doesnt mean anything but all i see is Samsung nowadays and people seem to have a strong opinion on the new HTC One as well.

im the only one of my close 8 friends to still have an iPhone :eek: it used to be all iPhones

maybe announce 10.9 and iOS7 on the same day to keep all those analysts calm ;)

When has Apple had good iPhone numbers in Europe? :confused:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
A day in the life of Apple's current executive management team... Count our money... File lawsuits... and if there is any time left over for developing innovative news products... ah screw it, that can wait.

Sadly, that resonates with me. The Board of Directors is in coast / maintenance mode. The Chair commented that the Board's main job is hiring / firing the CEO. Apple has lost 40% of its market cap since September - 7 months of dismal stock performance and still sliding. Stock price IS a major component of the Board's responsibility - returning value to the owners (shareholders). Cook at the helm is increasingly bad news. The Board needs to wake up and get a plan in place to solve the problem(s).

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
It's been almost 6 months since the last Apple product event (Oct. 16th), they need to announce something new soon!

This is a bigger deal than people think. Apple makes better gear than, say, Samsung... but when Apple goes long enough without putting anyone in the batter's box, even Samsung's blatant gimmickry is capable of manufacturing enough runs to build a lead.

- Where's the Mac Pro we were promised? (The "something great" Cook promised that was clarified to Pogue as a new Pro)
- Where's the new-iMac-style ATD refresh with USB3 ports in it?
- I know all the iDevices are only 6 months old, but an annual refresh is a tough row to hoe in the mobile world right now, so if Apple wants to stick to that, what else are they going to do to shore up the category?
- When will the iPod Classic finally be **** or gotten off the pot for?
- AppleTV: Let's have apps, let's be able to watch iTunes Extras please
- Um shouldn't we be talking about OS X 10.9 Ocelot and/or iOS 7 by now?
- iWork 2009, Four Years Out Of Date and Running Strong!

Apple is off the hook for the following only because we know that Haswell isn't out yet, though a spec bump wouldn't go unappreciated:
- Mac Mini
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro non-retina, or EOL of same

Apple is sorta-semi-off-the-hook for the following because obviously they are still being bought as quickly as they are made:
- iMac

GET IT TOGETHER, APPLE. Long periods of silence may work to your advantage as a defendant in a criminal trial. They work to your disadvantage in a vibrant technology marketplace. Guess which one you are?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
So you just gambled a bunch of your money hoping for great results and in hopes for some profit without any analysis or sound judgement?

Way to carelessly throw your money away.

Might as well play the lottery and buy tickets equal to the amount of a share of Apple.

----------

He said that? Ouch.

No, I didn't just gamble a bunch of my money "hoping for great results and in hopes for some profit without any analysis or sound judgement". I thought very hard about it and looked at a large number of variables.

Apple is a company with incredible sales, an outrageous amount of cash, $0 debt, a huge following, and impeccable timing for releasing products. Let's examine the last point I made. Apple COULD potentially release a new product (whether it be an entirely new product like the iPad or a better version of something that already exists like the iPod) but instead they choose to wait an average of about 3 - 3.5 years between each. Take a look:

iMac - 1998
iPod - 2001
AppleTV - 2006
iPhone - 2007
iPad - 2010

That puts us in the 2013 - 2014 time frame for a new, innovative product to be released... if you are looking at historical launches, of course. Obviously I can not guarantee this will happen but with the rumors of some sort of a watch, a TV (maybe a much better AppleTV), and some other products - it looks like it might. But again, this isn't the only reason I invested in Apple.

They have enough cash to cover about $150 per share. I even read something that said between Apples cash, inventory, additional assets, and pending retail sales (contract signed but products not yet delivered), it adds up to about $300 per share. That is STRONG!

Oh, btw... If I were to sell right now I would make $6+ profit per share now. ;-)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Oh, btw... If I were to sell right now I would make $6+ profit per share now. ;-)

And with the puny "dividends" Apple pays out, even if it went up $100 over the next 10 years, you still wouldn't be making that much of a profit compared to the money you spent to buy the stock.

stilted

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I'm wondering if they haven't saved the dividend hike to announce after earnings to act as a buffer to a disappointing quarter...

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
And with the puny "dividends" Apple pays out, even if it went up $100 over the next 10 years, you still wouldn't be making that much of a profit compared to the money you spent to buy the stock.

You guys apparently don't do very much investing. This isn't a long hold stock for me. As soon as it increases 8-10% I am selling it... Which I assume won't take more than a few weeks or couple month, at most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.