Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim_N_Tonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
I just got off of an online chat with the Apple store, and they're claiming that the phone will be in stores on Friday. Has anyone else heard this? I'm a little concerned because the employee was very confused at first, and I'm not convinced they knew what they're talking about, but I was very specific about my question.

I'll include the transcript below:

Welcome to Apple online chat, How are you doing today?

Hi matthew

is this the Canada store?

Hello, How may I help you today? and yes it is!

I'd like to pick up an iPhone 5 with AWS/HSPA+

How can I order one?

I'd be more than happy to help you with that!

That would actually be an in store only item, the online source doesn't specify which particular model is what so the store would be the only ones to separate which particular unlocked model you would get!

Is there anything else I can help you with in general today?

Sorry wrong chat!

Would that work for you?

I'm really confused now!

Sure Id be happy to explain!

The online store doesn't actually sell that particular model of iPhone unlocked, only the retail stores do, They have all 3 options as they also supply the carrier iPhones.

Which 3 options?

The online store only carries one model of unlocked iPhone which does not support those types.

The three iPhone types! Let me get you that link.

CLICK HERE FOR iPhone MODEL TYPES

Let me know if that link opens for you.

Yes

there are two types there

There are actually 3 in total if you look closely, but may I ask where you are traveling to? Maybe I can find you the best store to go to!

I'm really confused, is this still for the other chat?

I'm not travelling

Im sorry did you chat with someone previously, lets see if I can define what you are looking for!

No, you said something about it being for the wrong chat

You are looking for an iPhone with AWS/HSPA+

Yes

Correct?

Yes

Maybe we have our terms confused, could you explain what that is for me so I can better assist you find what you're looking for?

Probably the easiest way to describe it is to say the "T-Mobile" iPhone, but I live in Canada and do not wish to purchase it through t-mobile

Correct I did understand that correctly, okay that particular model isn't actually something we sell online in canada but we do sell it in store, what you need is the iPhone 5 unlocked model Here at chat we don't actually have access to the Retail Stores Inventory. You would actually have to contact them Directly By phone to find out their current inventory. Our other option would be to compose an order for in store pick up here online A1429.

model A1429?

I was 99% sure it was A1428

It actually is not as that model doesn't support the HSPA+, so you wouldn't have DATA essentially with that other model.

but A1429 would provide me with HSPA+ over AWS bands 1700/2100?

It would!

Can you show me that on the tech specs? I'm sorry to be so persistant, but everything I read online said the exact opposite

For example:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/iphone-5-att-aws-unlocked-plans-t-mobile/

I can! Let me get you that link.

CLICK HERE FOR iPhone 5 SPECS, LOOK UNDER CELLULAR AND WIRELESS

Let me know if that link opens for you.

So those definitely say HSPA+, but they don't support AWS

the T-Mobile phone would say something like AWS/HSPA+ (170,2100)

Thats normal but notice that the A1428 is CDMA not GSM like T-Mobile.

Actually, that link says that A1428 is GSM

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

I think this link is the most helpful one I've found

http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/04...5-will-support-t-mobiles-hspa-or-lte-network/

Oh I am sorry, my mistake I was reading one line down! So actually both models would work with the new T-mobile service!

Can you comment on that one?

I cannot as I only have access to the Apple online store sadly.

ok here:

As you all know by now, T-Mobile will begin offering the iPhone 5 officially from Friday this week (April 12). But, some of you will already have your own iPhones, and could be tempted to switch to the carriers attractive price plans. In years gone by, iPhones haven’t supported the Magenta-flavored 3G/HSPA+ bandwidths, leaving iPhone wielding Tmo customers stuck on a slow EDGE network. With the iPhone 5, it’s changed. There’s a chance that your device is compatible. If you have an A1428 model iPhone 5, it will connect to T-Mobile’s AWS bands (1700/2100), here’s how to check if yours does: Go to Settings –> General –> About. Check the last 4 digits of your serial number to see if they match these combinations: FH19 FH1C FH1D FH1F FH1G FH1H You can also locate your iPhone 5 box and verify that the label includes “1700/2100″ under the UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA bands.

Let me read through,

That is actually correct! My mistake earlier I was reading from the other line and the GSM unlocked model we sell here online is the A1428 so you would be good!

But I would need a model ending with one of those serial numbers

or that indicates 1700/2100 on the box

Correct which these would!

The only model GSM we sell online is the A1428 in Canada.

Yes, it will be the same model, but tweaked to include those frequencies

Now that depends on your time frame, those models with the new frequencies done release until the 12th, When do you plan on purchasing this?

ASAP

I'm going to be overseas by the end of the month, and would like the phone for that trip

I would personally recommend waiting then until the 12th to make sure you get the one with the information printed that you specially want!

Is there a way I could go about doing that on the 12th?

Yes you can, as I was discussing earlier the stores will have them for you!

So they will be in-stores on Friday?

They will be!

Simply ask for the model by name!

In Canada?

Correct!

Is there a way I can place a reservation? Or will there be more than limited quantities?

There is not, these models will be first come first serve.

Simply arrive in the morning and you should have no problem getting one!

That is most impressive, thank you very much for your help!

You're very welcome.

Glad I could help clear that up for you!

Is there anything else I can help you with in general today?

No thank you

Glad I could Help!

Thank You for Chatting In With Apple, Have a Fantastic Day!

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Seems like everyone was confused LOL

This is something the Canadian retail stores won't know much about.

I was thinking of possibly going to a Buffalo NY Apple Store or T-Mobile store and picking one up, as I live about 25 mins from the border.

Jim_N_Tonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Feel like picking up two? I am doubtful that there's going to be one waiting for me here on Friday morning... =p

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Have to see what happens on Friday!

$50 cheaper and cheaper taxes for an unlocked iPhone in the US compared to here in Canada lol

I already have an unlocked iPhone 5, but wouldn't mind getting full T-Mobile coverage when in Florida next weekend :)

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
US IP5 now listed as AWS HSPA+

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Jim_N_Tonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
I meant to post here, but it was updated in Canada this morning as well... at least partially.

If you look at the specs in the store, you'll see the updated phone:

http://store.apple.com/ca/buy/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5?product=IPHONE5#tech-specs

But if you look at them in the general iPhone page, they still show the old specs. I placed an order, and the folks online assured me that I would get the new version.

The store here is closed today (power outage), but I might check in there tomorrow for fun. My phone is slated to be delivered on the 18th either way.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I meant to post here, but it was updated in Canada this morning as well... at least partially.

If you look at the specs in the store, you'll see the updated phone:

http://store.apple.com/ca/buy/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5?product=IPHONE5#tech-specs

But if you look at them in the general iPhone page, they still show the old specs. I placed an order, and the folks online assured me that I would get the new version.

The store here is closed today (power outage), but I might check in there tomorrow for fun. My phone is slated to be delivered on the 18th either way.

Good eye dude

Jim_N_Tonik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Thanks, the race is on now to see who can get up and running first with Wind! My $2 SIM cutter is slated to arrive within a day or two of the iPhone, so I have a reasonably good chance of being up and running on Thursday next week.

Is anyone else planning on using their phone in Canada with one of the smaller carriers?

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks, the race is on now to see who can get up and running first with Wind! My $2 SIM cutter is slated to arrive within a day or two of the iPhone, so I have a reasonably good chance of being up and running on Thursday next week.

Is anyone else planning on using their phone in Canada with one of the smaller carriers?

Today, 12:41 PM

Attachments

• IMG_20130412_123419.jpg
    IMG_20130412_123419.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 294

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
That's not my IP5, just sharing the pic for confirmation.

Ops, maybe I should had stated that with the pic :)

Mimica

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Not selling at Eaton Centre (Toronto) yet

All,
I've just passed at the apple store at Eaton centre in Toronto and the info I got is that they still don't have such device (the iphone for AWS or T-mobile version).
The kid working there knew what I was talking about; and said they don't have any info on when they would start selling it.
I'm curious if if anyone got one. I'm looking into the alternative of getting one in the US and try here with my mobilicity plan.
Cheers

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Seems like someone picked one up at THAT exact store today and it works with WIND.

According to Mobilesyrup link

----------

Im curious if replacement iPhones will have the AWS tweak?

Mimica

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
I guess I'll try tomorrow at Eaton Center

Yes; I got the feedback today at Eaton that they don't have it and don't know when.
But also read it now: vhttp://mobilesyrup.com/2013/04/12/images-iphone-5-live-on-wind-mobile/

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iphone5-windmobile.png

"T-Mobile USA: Understanding network compatibility of an unlocked iPhone 5

Tap Settings > General > About and check if your serial number ends with any of these four-digit combinations:
FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

Note: You can also locate your iPhone 5 box and verify that the label includes "1700/2100" under the UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA bands.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720"

The screenshot from MobileSyrup doesn't match those serial numbers at all.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

"T-Mobile USA: Understanding network compatibility of an unlocked iPhone 5

Tap Settings > General > About and check if your serial number ends with any of these four-digit combinations:
FH19
FH1C
FH1D
FH1F
FH1G
FH1H

Note: You can also locate your iPhone 5 box and verify that the label includes "1700/2100" under the UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA bands.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720"

The screenshot from MobileSyrup doesn't match those serial numbers at all.

just wanted to point out that the serial numbers ending in those 4 digit combos dont match the pic...the pic still showing wind 3G?:confused:

also shouldn't it be "Carrier 14.1"...I am pretty sure 6.1.3 came with 14.1 for all....

Mimica

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Got one today at Eaton Centre but didn't work for Mobilicity

I bought an iPhone 5 today at Eaton Centre. I've just managed to cut the SIM card from Mobilicity at a shop on Younge St.; they didn't charge me anything.
Got home, but after searching for a network it got no result.
I simply get the "No Service" message on top.

I got a bunch of photos here.
Hope someone else got better luck (and can really prove it).
I'll go tomorrow back there to return it.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 211
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image10.jpg
    image10.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 165

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I bought an iPhone 5 today at Eaton Centre. I've just managed to cut the SIM card from Mobilicity at a shop on Younge St.; they didn't charge me anything.
Got home, but after searching for a network it got no result.
I simply get the "No Service" message on top.

I got a bunch of photos here.
Hope someone else got better luck (and can really prove it).
I'll go tomorrow back there to return it.

Might be a problem with your SIM or Mobilicity service. Looks like you got a new tweaked iPhone 5 by the model number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.