Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
I know that the TSA doesn't make people take iPads out of their bags when going through security. Since the rMBP is made up of more or less the same types of parts (i.e. it has flash instead of an HDD, and no optical drive) do they also let you keep it in your bag or is it the same as all other laptops?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
TSA is a joke. Ever traveled with a firearm (checked)? Its a nightmare, but completely legal (ammo isn't) and they act like you walk in there and its WW3.

Its a laptop though.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Its 15+ inches, has a keyboard, a folding screen, fans, trackpad, a huge ass battery, how is it anything like an iPad?

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Its 15+ inches, has a keyboard, a folding screen, fans, trackpad, a huge ass battery, how is it anything like an iPad?

Well, I guess it isn't quite like an iPad. I am just asking if the TSA is in any way reasonable, i.e. why should iPads get to stay in bags but not computers? The rMBP does have all of these elements. But doesn't the iPad also have a huge ass battery? (Indeed, the battery is probably the most dangerous element in any of these electronics, since batteries are combustible.) Either way it goes through the xray machine. I was just asking because I plan to get the rMBP when the Haswell update is available, I was just curious what to expect.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, I guess it isn't quite like an iPad. I am just asking if the TSA is in any way reasonable,
All I can say is, it is what it is. At some point they may treat iPads like laptops, i.e., pull them out.

Its really no big deal, or you can get a TSA approved laptop bag and no need to remove it.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Also depends which airport / country you go through, as well. Things also change as time marches on. I bet tablets get the same treatment soon... either that, or laptops will relax, as they are getting similar.

I have really sweet "checkpoint-friendly" bags for my laptops, and they are perfect in the US/TSA airports in that I don't need to remove it. However, at London Heathrow, for example, it doesn't matter, and any laptop has to be removed from the bag no matter what. Amsterdam doesn't make me take it out, as I recall from a couple months ago.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
With a little planning it isn't difficult at all

I travel a lot
A lot

I pull my MBA out and put it in a bin very quickly, leaving my iPad and iPad Mini in my bag

It really is no hassle at all
Wearing a jacket or a belt or shoes that tie is far more of a hassle
Which means, I don't wear those :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't travel as much as you, but I find it no problem. I whip out my rMBP, put that in the bin then dump everything of my pockets and what not. Its usually pretty quick.

I have a harder time getting my kids to prepare of that then getting my stuff x-rayed

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Well, I guess it isn't quite like an iPad. I am just asking if the TSA is in any way reasonable, i.e. why should iPads get to stay in bags but not computers? The rMBP does have all of these elements. But doesn't the iPad also have a huge ass battery? (Indeed, the battery is probably the most dangerous element in any of these electronics, since batteries are combustible.) Either way it goes through the xray machine. I was just asking because I plan to get the rMBP when the Haswell update is available, I was just curious what to expect.

1. The TSA is in no way reasonable. They have their rules and regulations, and if those regulations say that a Laptop must be taken out of the bag, then you have to take it out.

2. They don't scan your laptop to make sure your battery is fine. The main reason you have to take it out is that a laptop is a massive piece of metal and conducting materials, which makes it difficult to scan. They want to make sure that you are not either hiding dangerous materials inside your laptop or using it to hide other malicious goods in your bag.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
TSA is a joke. Ever traveled with a firearm (checked)? Its a nightmare, but completely legal (ammo isn't) and they act like you walk in there and its WW3.

Its a laptop though.

I hunt all over the Pacific Northwest and throughout the state of Alaska. I've had an issue checking my firearms in one time. And it was an in-state flight! You may have gotten an overzealous agent or crew. Usually they're pretty cool. I go to North Dakota in November every year pheasant hunting and bring a 12 gauge. Montana and Washington state for deer and cats, we transport rifles and handguns as well as bows. In state, we sometimes check a half dozen at once. A mix of hand and long guns. IMHO it's easier to transport guns than it is getting through security yourself ;).

Now that I've thought about it a bit...possibly it's exactly because of where I live that this isn't an issue. Here, everyone is armed. Everyone carries (in the woods)...& most coming to the state are doing so to hunt and/or fish. Even though we don't 'shoot' fish...all critters in Alaska come in extra large...and Many of them enjoy an easy salmon dinner too;). Always good to have protection regardless of where you're fishing.

With a little planning it isn't difficult at all

I travel a lot
A lot

I pull my MBA out and put it in a bin very quickly, leaving my iPad and iPad Mini in my bag

It really is no hassle at all
Wearing a jacket or a belt or shoes that tie is far more of a hassle
Which means, I don't wear those :)

I'm with ya. I'm on a plane at least three times a month. Sometimes 8-10 (summertime). I actually bought an 11" Air because I thought I'd be exempt in some cases. Doesn't matter. iPad good. Laptop, we need to look. I'm ok with the security. It sounds like a damn fine place to hide electronics if you were a 'bad guy' intent on destruction. I've found the same to be true as you. Don't dress up in a suit (& tie) if unnecessary. Take off shoes, pull the laptop. Bin 'em and roll

Act like you've been there before;)

J

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Don't dress up in a suit (& tie) if unnecessary. Take off shoes, pull the laptop. Bin 'em and roll

I know that suits can be a hassle because you need to take off your jacket but in my experience wearing one just makes them take you more seriously. I.e. less hassle.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I know that suits can be a hassle because you need to take off your jacket but in my experience wearing one just makes them take you more seriously. I.e. less hassle.

I wear jeans, no belt, tennis shoes pre-tied and slip on, and a pullover shirt with no jacket or sweater when I fly 2 or 3 times a month around the US

Heading to SEA and LAX the next 2 weeks actually

I have never been hassled or had any trouble of any kind
Just put your stuff in the bin the way they tell you and make sure your pockets are empty (I never carry change)
I put my phone in the bin with my wallet and shoes
MBA goes in a separate bin always
Bag on the roller and go

Easy peasy
The only wait I have is on others who didn't prepare or follow directions

It isn't hard, just remember you are going through security and plan for it

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I traveled from SEA to ORD in December for my Uncle's Death/Funereal, with my MPBr, and didn't have an issue. I didn't even have to turn it off, I just kept it in sleep mode all the time. The TSA didn't say boo about it.

TEG

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I hunt all over the Pacific Northwest and throughout the state of Alaska.
Montana and Washington state for deer and cats, we transport rifles and handguns as well as bows. In state, we sometimes check a half dozen at once. A mix of hand and long guns. IMHO it's easier to transport guns than it is getting through security yourself ;).
Pleasant country.

Now that I've thought about it a bit...possibly it's exactly because of where I live that this isn't an issue. Here, everyone is armed. Everyone carries (in the woods)...& most coming to the state are doing so to hunt and/or fish. Even though we don't 'shoot' fish...
Good to know.

:p

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
TSA lets me through with my iPad and MBA.
I have to take out my MBP 17in though.

TSA is a joke but its easy to get through with laptops.
Just throw them out in the security and they'll likely to go through.
Dont put them in other luggages other than carry on.
It can be damaged and even stolen (I had my watches, money, computer stolen) when going into the airplane's luggage compartment.

Again its easy to go through unless you are like me with a registered firearm.
They act like you're some kind of a terrorist.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
There are bags with TSA friendly laptop compartments, which let you leave the bag in its own pocket and go through security, I have a T-Pass backback by Tumi (below) with this feature and when traveled earlier this year did not had to remove it from the bag, but raher open the exterior zipper as shown in the second picture.

photo%25282%2529.jpg

photo%25283%2529.jpg

photo%25284%2529.jpg

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I am just asking if the TSA is in any way reasonable, i.e. why should iPads get to stay in bags but not computers?
It's a given that security theater has noting to do with reason. Do what they say whether it makes sense or not if you want to get through with minimum hassle. Whether it makes sense or is based on reason is an entirely different matter. Pick your battle.

If you want the latest info then check the TSA site. Unless they specifically state that the rMBP is exempt from the laptop requirement it's a laptop.

..and don't overlook Google:
http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/04/why-do-laptops-have-to-be-removed-when.html

Last edited:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007

They couldn't care less if you're in a suit or not. I used to be an airline pilot and I would get just as much crap from them, while in my uniform, as the guy behind me in ripped jeans and a t-shirt. All they do is (try to) follow whatever silly procedures they're told to enforce.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I hate the TSA with a passion. They pretty much hit on all levels a great way to annoy the piss out of you, then they'll do it again, and again.

Yes, I travel every week and they're the biggest idiots that deliberately try and make your day bad. They have no sense of humor either, I try and brighten their awful lives by injecting a little humor into their day, doesn't work well.

Yes, the rMBP is considered a laptop.

3rtaxc.jpg

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I know that the TSA doesn't make people take iPads out of their bags when going through security. Since the rMBP is made up of more or less the same types of parts (i.e. it has flash instead of an HDD, and no optical drive) do they also let you keep it in your bag or is it the same as all other laptops?

I think anything larger than 11.6" and they want you to take it out. I used to have an 11.6" MacBook Air and although technically it could stay inside the bag sometimes they had me take it out.

----------

1. The TSA is in no way reasonable. They have their rules and regulations, and if those regulations say that a Laptop must be taken out of the bag, then you have to take it out.

If you think the TSA is unreasonable, try going through security at Heathrow with an iPad (they make you take them out there) or liquid bag accidentally left inside your luggage. Unlike the TSA, they don't just yell at you, take the offending items out, and rescan. They yell at you, put your bag to the side, and then when they get around to it they remove everything from your bag and search everything.

tengtengvn

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2013
I travel 2 times a week from SFO to the east coast and I don't feel anything wrong at all. TSA agents are there to do their job and their job is making the airport and YOUR flight more secure. Only the people who travel 1 time a year think 2 minutes of taking out a laptop is a waste of their time. :confused: The rest get through security check point without any problems.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Here's a great bag for dealing with this, the Tom Bihn Cadet. The laptop goes in a sleeve that is attached to runners. You open the bag, slide the sleeve out (which comes out but remains attached), place it on the belt. It comes through then you just slide the sleeve back in. I love mine.

http://www.tombihn.com/laptop_bags/TB0740.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.