Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I'm getting a new 27" iMac tomorrow and I was wondering what the best way is to copy over all my music and photos from my old MBP? I don't want to restore from a time machine back up or anything because I want to set it up like a brand new computer. My documents and stuff I'll just move over on a flash drive since I don't have much. I was wondering if there's just some particular files or whole folders to copy to an external HD and just move them over to the iMac and where I'd copy them to. Thanks!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Migration assistant would work pretty quick and easy. It should ask you about this option when you turn it on for the first time. Connect with an Ethernet cable as its a bit quicker than wifi.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Migration assistant would work pretty quick and easy. It should ask you about this option when you turn it on for the first time. Connect with an Ethernet cable as its a bit quicker than wifi.

That will allow me to just transfer over only my music and photos? I don't want all of the other settings copied over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.