Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
This is what I just did in attempting to solve the battery problem:

I wipe the phone (Setting, erase all), set up the phone as new, then connect to iTunes to restore from a backup.

After that, I reset my settings.

I turn off location service, data, bluetooth, and turn my screen brightness to the lowest. I only keep my wifi on.(edit: correction, wifi was not connected)

I then do the music playback with the phone switched off, with occassional checking of the battery usage.

I was surprised to see that after 45 minutes (as of now), the battery stays at 100%!

This can't be right, can it?

I'm using a 64GB iPhone 5.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
sure it can, and it happens quite often to me, especially on a fresh wipe or restore.

sometimes even when not on a fresh install, ive had it stay at 100% for almost an hour and a half with almost 45 mins of use. it will then goto 99...then 98 within a few minutes. i unplugged this afternoon and it stayed at 100% for over two hours. the minute i left my house and drove down the street, it was on 98. then when i got to work (5 minute drive) it was at 97. sometimes it just takes awhile for the battery indicator to properly refresh.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
I'm now going to change one variable one at a time, starting with turning on my bluetooth speaker connection. At 46 minutes, it was still 100%. Let's see how it goes after 1/2 hour.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
as i stated, its normal. it will soon start going down. and when it does, it will go quickly in order to show the correct level. sometimes it drops to 99 immediately, other times ive had it stay at 100 for awhile. its perfectly normal.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Scenario: After I turned on the bluetooth speaker connection, it uses up 3% battery in half an hour.

Next scenario: I turn on wifi connection and would watch the drain rate in another half hour just doing music playback with the phone off.

Result: It still consumer 3 additional % in 30 minutes with the WIFI connnection made.
Conclusion: wifi on/off has no impact on battery when doing music playback, this is expected but good to confirm.

Next scenario: turn off wifi, and turn on LTE and Data for half an hour
Result: used up 4% in half an hour with data, LTE, and bluetooth all on.

Next scenario: Turn on wifi, data, LTE and Data but switch off bluetooth。
Result: Used up 2% in half an hour.
Conclusion: bluetooth, as expected, speeded up battery consumption.

Next scenario: Turn on wifi, data and LTE, off bluetooth, on location services, with a golf GPS software (Golf Logix) running in the foreground but device switched off.
Result: In half an hour, it consumed ??
Note: The music playback stopped and the phone crashed a few times with these test conditions.
I have to stop the test because the crash had disabled the battery consumption timer.

Last edited:

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
I discovered that the usage time in the battery usage page under-reports the actual usage time. In other word, the real usage time is longer than reported by the usage time counter by a few minutes.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Once location service is on, the battery consumption rate shoots through the roof. In half an hour (timed by looking at the clock and not by the battery usage report), it consumes 18% or equivalent of 36% an hour. This means with location service on, music playing in the background, but the device switched OFF, it could last less than 3 hours from full charge to complete drain.

----------

Next test scenario, stop music playing, stop Golf Logix, but leave the location service on. The phone is in effect only on standby mode. Will check the usage after half an hour from how.
Result: It consumes 5% in 30 minutes of standby, or 10% per hour with the location service turned on and the phone completely not used in any other way.

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Dude. Your tests mean absolutely nothing unless you're applying each "preset" for a full cycle, and then repeat it several times.

I mean, you're saying you got at least 45 minutes out of the first reported drained percent of the battery. That's on par with 75 hours worth of usage. Do you feel that's a believable number?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
lol I don't think the OP has read anyone elses comments and is in a conversation with himself :p

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
lol I don't think the OP has read anyone elses comments and is in a conversation with himself :p

Of course I had.

It's just that you don't understand how important it is for me to properly understand what drains the battery.

Do you understand it?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Of course I had.

It's just that you don't understand how important it is for me to properly understand what drains the battery.

Do you understand it?

Although, you don't seem to understand HOW to properly understand what drains the battery...

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Although, you don't seem to understand HOW to properly understand what drains the battery...

Don't need to pretend to be smarter than you actually are. None of us now really know.

The response by the previous posters were not the full picture, if I could put it in this way.

Let me explain to you.

When I started with iOS, my phone was dead in about 2 hours from full charge. With screen turned off (but not remembering if I had the other setting on of off in the earlier test), my phone could do music playback for just 4 hours.

Then I saw other posters having good battery usage, and tried to see what they had done differently in their upgrade. According to some of them, it involves upgrading using the update, and involves resetting the phone setting.

I followed what they did, and was surprised to see a low usage of zero percent being consumed in 45 minutes. (earlier I was doing music playback with screen off, and the consumption rate was 19% in 45 minutes)

Naturally, I became skeptical of how good this has become, and the responses of failed to satisfy me. Hence I tried to see if there could be a deeper reason for the difference.

Now, as evident, the location service application has a enormous impact, and would almost make it look as if the phone is having extremely bad rather than good battery consumption once again.
It would appear therefore that the usage rate might have little to do with the manner that I had done the upgrade and more with the way the phone was used.

Sorry if you don't feel that such findings are useful. Hopefully someone else would. ;)

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Don't need to pretend to be smarter than you actually are. None of us now really know.

The response by the previous posters were not the full picture, if I could put it in this way.

Let me explain to you.

When I started with iOS, my phone was dead in about 2 hours from full charge. With only music playback (but not remembering if I had the other setting on of off in the earlier test), my phone could do music playback with the screen off, and run for just 4 hours.

Then I saw other posters having good battery usage, and tried to see what they had done differently in their upgrade. According to some of them, it involves upgrading using the update, and involves resetting the phone setting.

I followed what they did, and was surprised to see a low usage of zero percent being consumed in 45 minutes. (earlier I was doing music playback with screen off, and the consumption rate was 19% in 45 minutes)

Naturally, I became skeptical of how good this has become, and the responses of failed to satisfy me. Hence I tried to see if there could be a deeper reason for the difference.

Now, as evident, the location service application has a enormous impact, and would almost make it look as if the phone is having extremely bad rather than good battery consumption once again.

Well someone else pointed out the first few percents can take a while to actually refresh....so it may stay at 100% for 45 minutes, but that is b.c the % has not refreshed yet. Location services is probably the biggest drain...things like wifi and bluetooth really have little to none affect if they are left on. If you are connected to wifi that will make a big difference b.c cellular data drains the battery much faster. Turn location services off, leave bluetooth and wifi on all day, I bet the difference if they were toggled off is minuscule.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
It would appear therefore that the usage rate might have little to do with the manner that I had done the upgrade and more with the way the phone was used.
Holy crap, really? Wow! Amazing! Here's another open door for you to kick in: http://www.braveheartwomen.com/serv...9165-13000164379-13000044410/Open Door 01.jpg

Sorry if you don't feel that such findings are useful. Hopefully someone else would. ;)
You clearly didn't understand what I said. Ironic, since it was about understanding.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
Well someone else pointed out the first few percents can take a while to actually refresh....so it may stay at 100% for 45 minutes, but that is b.c the % has not refreshed yet.

This is a phenomenon that I had never encountered before today, I had seen it remaining at 100% after a 2-3 minutes of use, but never 45 minutes. The thing is, for the next few half hour slots the consumption rate was quite consistently 3% per 30 minutes, showing no "catching up effect". So, the theory of taking a while to refresh does not seem to hold water either.

Makes me wonder if there is a bug in the reporting of the battery level.

Last edited:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
To me, it is appearing that IOS7 is dropping faster than 6.1.4 on the same phone after an install of 7 and a restore from backup.

Early public beta. The last time I did beta software was the last IOS 6 beta.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
To me, it is appearing that IOS7 is dropping faster than 6.1.4 on the same phone after an install of 7 and a restore from backup.

Early public beta. The last time I did beta software was the last IOS 6 beta.

It certainly does drop a lot quicker but this is to be expected with a beta 1 software. (although I have seen a few individuals who claimed that they have had improved battery life after the upgrade.)

You might want to make sure that your location service and is off. I had always known this to be a big battery consumer, but not THIS big. More importantly, make sure you manually close off any running GPS software even when the device is switched off.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I doubt there is any battery optimization in iOS7 beta 1. So i've turned off every location/background service besides Cell Network Search for now. Will wait for a future beta to play around with Frequent Locations etc.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
This is a phenomenon that I had never encountered before today, I had seen it remaining at 100% after a 2-3 minutes of use, but never 45 minutes.
I have, on both iOS 4, 5 and 6. If you take it off the charger when the battery is fully charged but hasn't yet started to discharge (which it does without letting you know that the battery is no longer at 100 %), you can play music in the background for like an hour before it starts ticking down.

The thing is, for the next few half hour slots the consumption rate was quite consistently 3% per 30 minutes, showing no "catching up effect". So, the theory of taking a while to refresh does not seem to hold water either.
See, if the first percent (and last, most often) takes "forever" to use up, the other percents will be faster.

If you charge your phone to full and start playing video for instance, you'll notice that if you look at the usage time, and divide it by the number of percent used, you'll see that it's a falling curve. After one percent it will tell you the battery can last like 50 hours, after five percent 35 hours, ten percent 20 hours, and so on. The battery indicator is not something that should be looked upon as some kind of truth teller, but simply an indicator to give you a rough estimation of how much battery is left so that you'll know whether to charge it or not.

Once you realise this, and accept the fact that real life usage (from fully charged to battery dead) is the only proper way of really knowing, you'll be much more zen...

Makes me wonder if there is a bug in the reporting of the battery level.
Either that, or you simply don't understand what the battery level indicator actually is.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
On my new i5 it stays on 100% for 30+ minutes and 1% for the same. The middle 98% is quite faster. Let the battery calibrate for a few cycles. What you are seeing is normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.