Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
The problem with auto app updates is that if you're in an area with poor coverage, an auto app update will initiate and then hang on "waiting". There's no way to delete the app, or force it to restart the load once you're in better coverage/connected to wifi.

I've tried a hard reset, powering on and off, and yet the app just stays there slightly dimmed with an empty status bar overlay, mocking me.

One time I was able to force start the update by going into the app store, finding the app, and touching the update button, but that doesn't work for all cases.

Yes I've gone into the multitask tray and quit the app as well.

Any workarounds? Thoughts?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
The problem with auto app updates is that if you're in an area with poor coverage, an auto app update will initiate and then hang on "waiting". There's no way to delete the app, or force it to restart the load once you're in better coverage/connected to wifi.

I've tried a hard reset, powering on and off, and yet the app just stays there slightly dimmed with an empty status bar overlay, mocking me.

One time I was able to force start the update by going into the app store, finding the app, and touching the update button, but that doesn't work for all cases.

Yes I've gone into the multitask tray and quit the app as well.

Any workarounds? Thoughts?

I wonder if you're using a developer beta version of iOS, where apps and such are not optimized.

Hmm. Could be that me thinks.

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
Had this same issue, but it was not an issue for me... App was hanging waiting for update but after connecting to wifi the app simply finishes updating.

No big deal. Toggle wifi off then back on if yours is stuck.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Wow you guys are relentless! I know it's a beta, I know things don't work properly, I filed a bug report. I'll make sure to include my awareness of iOS 7 being a beta at the start of all my future posts.

I was hoping for a workaround, and already some people have been helpful. Thank you.

----------

Interestingly enough, I'm able to still access the apps and use them through the multitasker tray and through going into the app store and going to the app page, where I get "open" instead of "update".

Kindakrazy

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
California, USA
Workaround:

Update apps within iTunes on your computer. Delete apps from phone (Sometimes this may not work, you can delete apps from within iTunes as well.)

Once the apps are updated on your iTunes just reinstall them on your phone through iTunes!

This is what I did the first time when I had like 30 apps update at once. If it is just one app you may want to just delete it and reinstall. (Again this sometimes doesn't work and you must delete it from iTunes.)

For those having problems downloading apps off the App Store just keep hitting retry, you will notice that it is actually making progress. If you hit done it does not store that progress and will restart the download at a later time.

Another solution is to connect over wifi. (During this time they are actually updating it just not show any progress, noticed this on a friends phone, they would go from waiting... to done)

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Workaround:

Update apps within iTunes on your computer. Delete apps from phone (Sometimes this may not work, you can delete apps from within iTunes as well.)

Once the apps are updated on your iTunes just reinstall them on your phone through iTunes!

This is what I did the first time when I had like 30 apps update at once. If it is just one app you may want to just delete it and reinstall. (Again this sometimes doesn't work and you must delete it from iTunes.)

For those having problems downloading apps off the App Store just keep hitting retry, you will notice that it is actually making progress. If you hit done it does not store that progress and will restart the download at a later time.

Another solution is to connect over wifi. (During this time they are actually updating it just not show any progress, noticed this on a friends phone, they would go from waiting... to done)

awesome thank you so much for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.