Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I want to buy an ipad mini primarily for games and because its very portable. Youtube, web and social media are just added bonuses. I already have other dedicated gaming devices which are both lacking in games for me right now. Theirs rumors that a new mini is coming out with retina, others say no the mini is only getting a new chip and/or more ram. Be honest do you think I should wait for the 2nd version or just get one now? Also do you think the price of the ipad mini 2 will be more than the current one?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I think you should wait, whether or not the mini 2 will have upgrades you like, the price of the ipad mini 1 will definitely drop once the 2 is out. So you'd either get the mini with specs you want or a cheaper one.

From what I heard a while back, if the mini were to include a retina display, the price could go up. I dont know by how much though.

sparky1499

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I agree with rgarjr.

There will always be 'something better' just around the corner and you'll find yourself perpetually waiting for the next big thing while trying to future-proof yourself.

Need now, buy now.

ayres

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
I want to buy an ipad mini primarily for games and because its very portable. Youtube, web and social media are just added bonuses. I already have other dedicated gaming devices which are both lacking in games for me right now. Theirs rumors that a new mini is coming out with retina, others say no the mini is only getting a new chip and/or more ram. Be honest do you think I should wait for the 2nd version or just get one now? Also do you think the price of the ipad mini 2 will be more than the current one?

my concern is less with the retina and more about cpu... the mini has ipad2 innards (I have a 32gb ipad2 and love it)... but the mini reminds me of the first ipad - rushed out to production and the next generation saw huge improvements. I'm perfectly happy with ipad2 resolution, and mini looks even better given the tighter pixels - so retina would not be a huge improvement. but to answer your question... wait. the mini2's hardware will be much better, while the ipad2 will be further left in the dust.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
The mini is just awesome for games.

I have been playing Carmageddon on it and even though it is not so graphically superior game, it still looks damn good. Oh , the joy of cruising through snow filled roads!. And plus, since the screen is bigger ,much bigger than any phone and very light also, this makes it the best touchscreen gaming device currently in my opinion.

The only thing i am disappointed in mini is while reading, i would have wanted the text to be a lil bit sharper.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
R
Refurb mini and 4 are only 279 and 419 that is a excellent deal for basically brand new ipad!

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

That's the route I took. $298 grand total.

Whenever I get caught up in the "it's not retina" nonsense, I remind myself it still has a higher DPI than my 15" MacBook Pro. And I use my MBP for everything, spending hours at a time on it.

The mini even has a higher DPI than the "hi-res" option for MacBook Pro. I remember plenty of posts here on MacRumors gushing about how crisp and sharp things were on the hi-res model. The mini also has a higher DPI than the Thunderbolt display or either of the iMac sizes.

Cool Web page listing the DPI of pretty much any popular device:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

Last edited:

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
On a side, note, the Galaxy Note 10.1 that my dad has, the iPad's main compeditor, only has 149 DPI according to that website, which is less than the iPad Mini's 163 DPI

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
my concern is less with the retina and more about cpu... the mini has ipad2 innards (I have a 32gb ipad2 and love it)... but the mini reminds me of the first ipad - rushed out to production and the next generation saw huge improvements. I'm perfectly happy with ipad2 resolution, and mini looks even better given the tighter pixels - so retina would not be a huge improvement. but to answer your question... wait. the mini2's hardware will be much better, while the ipad2 will be further left in the dust.

Yeah, there's a real chance that Mini 2 could have...well probably will have dual core Swift, probably 1GB, probably lets say 3 or 4 similar GPUs, if not the exact chip in the iPad 4... hmm. I don't know, but I agree that there's a good chance the Mini 1 may be dumped quickly, the way iPad 1 was. I don't like that it's running on a full 2 year old SOC/amount of RAM.

If you get it, I think there's even a real chance it won't be updated next fall, meaning it won't even be safe to use it online at that point (like how iPad 1 was dumped in 2012).

Aside from that, just the fact a new one's coming so soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.