Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I am pretty sure that my hard drive just died but I am curious if anyone knows what the error code I have means or if there is anywhere that I can look up the meaning of the error codes.

Short story is that the HTCD gave me this error on the mass storage check:
2STF/3/3:ATA-100 ata-6-master

Long version:
My 1.5 year old Powerbook was frozen when I got up this morning and making some odd sounds. So I shut it down for about 3 hours and then turned it back on. Same sound but it fully booted before crashing as soon as I tried to open disk utility. So that is when I ran the hardware test CD and got the above error code twice, once running quick test and once during extended test.

Any ideas as to the exact meaning, I don't want to buy another HD if that isn't the problem (it could be the controller maybe?).

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Hmmm... After leaving my computer off all night it seems to have fixed itself, running perfectly right now, fsck didn't even come up with any errors. That is very odd, second time my hard drive has done that. It is probably because it is being overworked as I never shut down or even sleep my computer.

Anyone have any idea what could cause that? Overheating maybe? Anyway, I will be sure to do daily backups from now on.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
yippy said:
Hmmm... After leaving my computer off all night it seems to have fixed itself, running perfectly right now, fsck didn't even come up with any errors. That is very odd, second time my hard drive has done that. It is probably because it is being overworked as I never shut down or even sleep my computer.

Anyone have any idea what could cause that? Overheating maybe? Anyway, I will be sure to do daily backups from now on.

I'd recommend you get a new harddisk if you are serious about your data :rolleyes:

Sometimes dying harddisks will "stick" a little and refuse to start up, only yielding when you smack it or something.. needless to say I already said those are dying drives :eek:

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. The hard drive had failed. After mine started making weird sounds (like a hair dryer) everything locked up. I shut it down and tried starting it back up. Nothing. Ran the Hardware test and got the same error. After carrying my laptop back home to be shipped off to Apple, the system started working again. I managed to get all my important data back off before the noise came back and the system locked up.

My advice: back up all your data NOW. The hard drive will most likely die again. If you still have AppleCare, give them a call and tell them what is happening. Give them the error you got and more than likely they will want you to send it in to get the hard drive replaced.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
my hard drive occaisionally makes a tiny quiet whining noise. it almost sounds like air escaping through a tiny hole. if you have a whistle blow it really lightly and thats the noise. ive been worrying about it so i backup every night before bed. anyone else have this noise? is this normal? did the OP have this problem at any time (therefore am i in for trouble in the near future)?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I like the blow dryer analogy, kind of like that, like the bearings aren't greased or something. I did call Applecare (although I am no longer covered) and they couldn't tell me what the error code meant other than "yea, that means it is something with your hard drive, run disk utility or disk warrior". So no help at all.

It happened again briefly this morning, I did notice that the processor was working on something when it crashed (about 60% cpu usage) but this time it only took 3 hours of down time before I am up and running normally. No errors with the disk even. Very odd.

This same thing happened once about three months ago as well. I would buy a new hard drive but if I don't have to it really would be best to not spend the money.

P.S. I do a full backup every night to an external drive so I am not worried about losing data. Plus I never do anything that important in one day anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.