Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should iOS7 allow 16:9 ratio, even at lower resolution than iPhone 5's native 8MP?

• Yes

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Still absent from B4?

Can anyone with code access can check if this mode is even present in the iOS 7 B4 code?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If the sensor is for 4:3, any "16:9 photo mode" is just a digital crop by software.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Just download Kitcam if you want 16:9 photos. The stock app will never support it on all existing iPhones, only on future iPhones with a 16:9 sensor.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Just download Kitcam if you want 16:9 photos. The stock app will never support it on all existing iPhones, only on future iPhones with a 16:9 sensor.

couple of questions arise then:

1. how come video can be shot in 16:9, software cropped? (clearly a smaller FOV compared to photo mode)

2. why not allow stock app to SW crop just like 3rd party apps can?

In the WWDC "iOS feature wall" one can clearly see "widescreen images", so it should be already in the Beta code, even if not enabled on existing devices, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
If you want a 16:9 photo you could always crop it with the photos app but of corse you would have to do every photo manually.

And the video films in 16:9 because it zooms and crops the 4:3 sensor image to 16:9. Just like any app would because the sensor is 4:3 no matter how you look at it. Maybe the next iPhone will have a 16:9 sensor who knows?

Edit: oh and there was no need for the smart ass photo, I was just trying to help...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 624

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Still absent from B4?

Can anyone with code access can check if this mode is even present in the iOS 7 B4 code?
The CMOS sensor is 4:3. That's what it takes photos in.

You want a different aspect ratio, crop it.

couple of questions arise then:

1. how come video can be shot in 16:9, software cropped? (clearly a smaller FOV compared to photo mode)

The iPhone 5 has an 8MP sensor.

1080P video is merely <2.1MP. Lots of spare pixels for cropping down.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Of course we mean lower resolution due to sw cropping! Just about like any other phone out there with 4:3 sensor!

Full 8mp 4:3
16:9 usually 6mp or thereabouts

Really, I'm sick and tired of this high nosed replies with a hint of sarcasm and "****-off-ness" about it. Industry standard.....give me a break, this is mobile technology not Red or Hasselblad we're talking about

Come to think about it: is there any phone produced in the past 3 years in this "industry" that does NOT take 16:9 photos? Except iPhones of course :)

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I'm just gonna leave this here

Link http://mobileandphone.com/camera-sensor-lens-technical-specs-explained/

"The aspect ratio of sensor can easily be calculated by dividing the width with the height (in pixels), and then multiply the width by a number that will give an Integer / whole number. Let me give you an example:

Calculating the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom sensor native aspect ratio

4608 [width] x 3456 [height] ← from the specs4608 : 3456 ← now divide the two numbers by the height (3456)
1.333333333333333 : 1 ← 1.33… is the representation of the aspect ratio as a decimal numberThe closest whole number that we can get using multiplication is 4, this is done by multiply the decimal number by 3, but we need to do that to the two numbers like so:1.333333333333333:1 x 3 ← multiplication4 : 3 ← result. This is the aspect ratio
You can apply this same formula to and sensor specs to get the aspect ratio of the sensor. Worth mentioning that some sensors have support for multiple aspect ratios. You can see that the S4 Zoom can result in images with either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios. That doesn’t make the sensor a 16:9 aspect ratio. Other image aspect ratios are achieved by utilizing part of the sensor pixels instead of using all of them.

With the S4 Zoom you get 16:9 aspect ratio image because the camera will than utilize the whole width, but (3456 – 2592) 864 less pixels from the height. Some sensor do come in different aspect ratios like 3:2 for example, an aspect ratio that is widely used in DSLR cameras. A camera can therefore offer you aspect ratios like 1:1 (square), 16:9 (wide), 3:2, 4:3, and all that by utilizing different parts of the sensor pixel for the final image."

Last edited:

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Of course we mean lower resolution due to sw cropping! Just about like any other phone out there with 4:3 sensor!

Full 8mp 4:3
16:9 usually 6mp or thereabouts

Really, I'm sick and tired of this high nosed replies with a hint of sarcasm and "****-off-ness" about it. Industry standard.....give me a break, this is mobile technology not Red or Hasselblad we're talking about

Come to think about it: is there any phone produced in the past 3 years in this "industry" that does NOT take 16:9 photos? Except iPhones of course :)

When you quote someone and answer with a Willy Wonka meme, come on, you are the one "with a hint of sarcasm and ****-off-ness"

And yes, "4:3 is the industry standard" is a perfect good answer.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Other image aspect ratios are achieved by utilizing part of the sensor pixels instead of using all of them."

very good.

my initial question (#2) was which part of this statement doesn't Apple understand in order to allow the native camera app to "use part of the sensor pixels"

or maybe they already do, hence my other question, if someone with code access & skills could see if a 16:9 mode is "hidden" in there.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
When you quote someone and answer with a Willy Wonka meme, come on, you are the one "with a hint of sarcasm and ****-off-ness"

Thank you, I didn't think I was out of line at all. Maybe the OP is having a bad day, or miss understood me.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013

which industry is that? because the mobile one which we're talking about here, in the iOS forum area, evolved quite a lot in the past years

@jeremiah: yes, bad day and no, did not misunderstand you.
still, not clear what industry you folk are bravely holding the banners up for :)

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
very good.

my initial question (#2) was which part of this statement doesn't Apple understand in order to allow the native camera app to "use part of the sensor pixels"

or maybe they already do, hence my other question, if someone with code access & skills could see if a 16:9 mode is "hidden" in there.

Ok yes I do understand they should allow for 16:9 just like they offer the "square" viewfinder option in the phonos app.

maybe that will come later considering you seen it in the keynote.

Edit: So basically it will be a "live crop view" if you think about it. because the same thing could be done in a photo editing app, but this allows you to frame it up and see real time what it will look like.

----------

which industry is that? because the mobile one which we're talking about here, in the iOS forum area, evolved quite a lot in the past years

@jeremiah: yes, bad day and no, did not misunderstand you.
still, not clear what industry you folk are bravely holding the banners up for :)
lol maybe I shouldn't of said that at all, i remember right after the iPhone came out there was a thread that was talking about how the photos don't fill the new aid iPhone screed and basically what i gathered from that thread was 4:3 was the standard for most smaller sensors like the ones you see in phones and stuff.

like 3:2 is widely used in the DSLR market.

but I could of gotten some things mixed up that was about a year ago and who knows if all the info i was reading was even true hahah.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Ok yes I do understand they should allow for 16:9 just like they offer the "square" viewfinder option in the phonos app.

maybe that will come later considering you seen it in the keynote.

Edit: So basically it will be a "live crop view" if you think about it. because the same thing could be done in a photo editing app, but this allows you to frame it up and see real time what it will look like.

yes, buddy finally got my drift :)
cropping in post processing is not acceptable from a workflow point of view, even on the device itself.

For iPhone 4S i can understand, the screen wasn't 16:9 but what about iPhone 5? Photos look lame with black bars left & right. I bet the iPhone 5S will keep the screen size/ratio.

Added a poll just out of curiosity.

PS - one more thing (no, not a dig at Apple keynotes :)) the 1080p video mode i think it's using more than the sensor area "activated" for 1920x1080 in order to implement video stabilization in software.
Since Apple's optical lens system does not have OIS (like Lumia), it must rely on software....does a good job at it by the way, iPhone 4S & 5 stabilization is excellent

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
yes, buddy finally got my drift :)
cropping in post processing is not acceptable from a workflow point of view, even on the device itself.

For iPhone 4S i can understand, the screen wasn't 16:9 but what about iPhone 5? Photos look lame with black bars left & right. I bet the iPhone 5S will keep the screen size/ratio.

Added a poll just out of curiosity.

PS - one more thing (no, not a dig at Apple keynotes :)) the 1080p video mode i think it's using more than the sensor area "activated" for 1920x1080 in order to implement video stabilization in software.
Since Apple's optical lens system does not have OIS (like Lumia), it must rely on software....does a good job at it by the way, iPhone 4S & 5 stabilization is excellent

That totally makes sense if thats how the video stabilization works, I never really thought of it before! lol

And I voted yes, I would like to see that feature as 99% of the time I'm viewing the pics on a widescreen display anyway!

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Just apply a stabilizing filter in any video suite (powerdirector, etc.) and you notice the stabilized version is a bit more "zoomed in" than the original

perfectly normal I use also widescreen displays: TV, monitor, he'll even the iMac is 16:9 :)

Not sure you can find a 4:3 monitor in the consumer market anymore. See, industry standards do change :)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
All this "industry standard" debate is non-sense. The fact is, there's no industry standard. We didn't see many SLR enthusiasts bitching about ratio when Apple adopted 4:3 over 3:2 for the original iPhone.

The fact of the matter is, we have 3:2, 4:3, and 1:1 (Instagram ratio which is now in iOS 7). So if some folks want to crop 4:3 to 16:9, I personally don't see much harm in that.

I can easily envision "Wide" (16:9) toggle mode between "Video" and "Photo" modes.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Just noticed you can zoom also in photo mode in beta 4. Not sure it was possible before

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
All this "industry standard" debate is non-sense. The fact is, there's no industry standard. We didn't see many SLR enthusiasts bitching about ratio when Apple adopted 4:3 over 3:2 for the original iPhone.

The fact of the matter is, we have 3:2, 4:3, and 1:1 (Instagram ratio which is now in iOS 7). So if some folks want to crop 4:3 to 16:9, I personally don't see much harm in that.

I can easily envision "Wide" (16:9) toggle mode between "Video" and "Photo" modes.

It could be, but in the end this thing is going to be so full with options, not Apple style, why not add the 3:2 too.

Seems to me that everyone comes up with "Apple should add this and that" and don't get me wrong, some are good ideas, but in the end, can you imagine Settings.app with 100 more options, it will be a mess.

Apple products are not meant for the geeks that post in forums like this (myself included) it's meant for almost everybody that don't want something complicated, something easy to use.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Apple products are not meant for the geeks that post in forums like this (myself included) it's meant for almost everybody that don't want something complicated, something easy to use.

true, but Jonny-user will definitely notice black bars when watching his hundred photo family collection on the iPhone 5 or on his 50" plasma at home.

wide aspect is a must in 2013 even for Apple, it's in the iOS7 WWDC slides and it should be enabled on iPhone 5, not only on whatever next-gen hardware refresh. Period.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I do find it alarming that Apple has added a 1x1 shooting mode and not 16x9.

That being said, why not just use a third part app and call it a day? Maybe Apple will add it later down the line but don't hold your breath just find a solution and move on.

I recommend ProCamera which has different shooting modes including 4x3, 3x2, 16x9, 1x1.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
true, but Jonny-user will definitely notice black bars when watching his hundred photo family collection on the iPhone 5 or on his 50" plasma at home.

wide aspect is a must in 2013 even for Apple, it's in the iOS7 WWDC slides and it should be enabled on iPhone 5, not only on whatever next-gen hardware refresh. Period.

I think you are wrong on that, is not that the photos are 16:9, Photos.app escalate the pictures so that they fill the whole screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.