Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Hi

I have a ghosting issue with my 2012 iMac 27" for the second time. The first time I got my screen replaced. Now I have the same issue again, but now the ghosting is blue and not red as the same time.

Any ideas what I can do to make it go away? I'm so frustrated from Apple because this is my first Mac, which supposed to be a solid and reliable computer. I really don't want to replace my screen again because it means 3 weeks without any computer (I live in Israel and they need to ship it to the US).

Please give me some advices. Should I replace it for a 2012 Mac Pro?

Thanks,
Dor

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again. It seems to me, more often than not, that people who experience ghosting/image retention on their 2012 iMacs get it again after exchange. I don't know if it's due to a power or a "climate" issue in the house, but something is going on, I really believe.

So, honestly, you could exchange your iMac, but from what I get from reading the message boards, it will likely come back. You might be better off getting a Mac mini and an external display.

The people who have no ghosting/image retention don't ever get it (it seems), and those who have it, have it on replacements, too.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's always been a theme here, it seems..

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I don't know if it's due to a power or a "climate" issue in the house, but something is going on, I really believe.

So, honestly, you could exchange your iMac, but from what I get from reading the message boards, it will likely come back. You might be better off getting a Mac mini and an external display.

The people who have no ghosting/image retention don't ever get it (it seems), and those who have it, have it on replacements, too.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's always been a theme here, it seems..

I'm one of those who had multiple exchanges with image retention, but my previous displays didn't do it and my current display doesn't do it. Same room. Same desk. Same electrical outlet. When one can simply switch to a different panel and the new panel not do it, I think it is more likely that the brand in question has a QC problem. I think the best explanation is that the problem is the way LG produces the panels.

Here is a good example. This isn't my video, but I thought it was a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhIA8-UIRQ

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I'm one of those who had multiple exchanges with image retention, but my previous displays didn't do it and my current display doesn't do it. Same room. Same desk. Same electrical outlet. When one can simply switch to a different panel and the new panel not do it, I think it is more likely that the brand in question has a QC problem. I think the best explanation is that the problem is the way LG produces the panels.

Here is a good example. This isn't my video, but I thought it was a good example.

thank you! your scientific response proves what is really happening! does 2012 21.5 inch iMac have LG panel, too?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Yep, there's the exception. There has to be some kind of rhyme/reason to it, though, and I can't put my finger on it. I had a Retina display Macbook Pro with the LG panel, and it had no IR. That panel in the video is 100% defective.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The LG panels that Apple use are not great imo, i wish they would use Samsung Panels instead. My 2012 iMac is almost perfect, i only get IR if i leave high contrast content on the screen for many hours, under normal use i get Zero IR. Its the luck of the draw with the LG Panels, we have 2011 iMacs at our work and they have IR also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.