Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njchris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
I've tested this with three different people.

When connected to bluetooth or headphones, and asking siri to read messages, she would always ask if you wanted to reply (and a couple other options). This was convenient when in the car or if the phone is in my pocket while walking as I did not need to look or touch the phone again after the initial contact. I could receive and reply to a message with only activating it once.

In the past week I've noticed strange behavior when reading a message. A few times she said "that is all" after reading them. Now she says nothing and does not ask what I want to do after reading.

Has anyone else noticed this or know about why this change happened?

TDolan

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Robbinsdale, MN
Same here. I just noticed it a few days ago. Siri will read back messages through bluetooth headset but will not offer to reply to the message.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
I see lots of people encountering the problem with no answers.

I knew that they could tweak some Siri stuff without an update but didn't know they could change this functionality. Really annoying. I tend to use voice texting in a hands free situation, driving or riding or walking. The whole point is a hands free experience.

It just works! Lol j/k

fordman03

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
Same problem

I just started having this problem this morning. I use Siri for everything but texting especially because like everyone said it's hands free, but I no longer get the prompt to re read or reply, it just stops and then I have to hold the home button and say "reply" in order for it to reply. I have disabled siri, and re enabled it, and of course that didn't work. So is this an update of some sort?

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Looks like another fantastic apple disimprovement. Still no official word on the change. Looks like they broke it on purpose and it won't go back. Remember how apple maps was going to be improved, just give it time? They improved it by letting google put maps in the App Store.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I have also noticed a difference in the voice dialing. When Siri replies, there is no pause, instead of "John Smith, iPhone," she replies "John SmithiPhone."

She's taken a step back in my opinion.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
Siri doesn't actually "live" in our phones. She's run on a big server cluster in one of apple's data centers. When you open Siri on your phone your phone simply records your voice, compresses it into a smaller file, and sends it to the Siri server cluster.

The server itself decompresses your voice recording, analyzes what you said, and then sends a message to your phone instructing it on what to do and what to say back to you.

This is why Siri does not work if you turn off all of your data sources.

From what i gather, Siri was changed a lot in iOS 7 and may not be running on the same server cluster anymore. If apple has been changing things to suit iOS 7 then i would not be surprised if iOS6 users were having issues.

I have also noticed a difference in the voice dialing. When Siri replies, there is no pause, instead of "John Smith, iPhone," she replies "John SmithiPhone."

She's taken a step back in my opinion.

They changed Siri's voice in iOS 7, her newer voice is a bit younger and more concise. This might be why it sounds strange on iOS 6

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Your explanation is probably accurate but underlines how poorly apple is handling things. If this is the case, they are breaking quality of service for prior customers because we are running older phones. Upgrade or go die in a fire. That's what's being said.

There's no sound reason why they couldn't have conditional behavior for different handsets so it probably means that it's just cheaper to do it this way.

I'm making a lot of suppositions right now but, seeing as apple won't comment, that's all I have to go on.

zibberfitchy

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
I'm having the same problem, too. It's annoying. I've been a loyal Apple fan and owner for many years. I hate to admit it but it does seem like the quality control of Apple software has been suffering.

i hate siri. not only does it suck data like a sponge. it's unhelpful and annoying at best. apple is probably limiting it's use because of all the issues they have with it.

----------

Your explanation is probably accurate but underlines how poorly apple is handling things. If this is the case, they are breaking quality of service for prior customers because we are running older phones. Upgrade or go die in a fire. That's what's being said.

There's no sound reason why they couldn't have conditional behavior for different handsets so it probably means that it's just cheaper to do it this way.

I'm making a lot of suppositions right now but, seeing as apple won't comment, that's all I have to go on.
It's the trend now. Very poor or no support from other device manufacturers on older models. Take Samsung for example. Ever tried to get them to resolve an issue with a device that no longer can be updated with the latest OS version?

Lankysean

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
I've been having this problem as well, it seems to be an issue with iOS6 and lower. I have the beta for iOS7 on my iPad and that still asks me if I would like to reply.

lummox

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Same issue here

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people having this issue. I drive around 3 hours a day. The old functionality was perfect for my situation. Bummer.

blueCsoftware

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
me2

I also have noticed the change in Siri responses since the middle of August some time. Primarily two things

- first, the lack of saying "you can reply or read it again" after a text message WORKAROUND: you can activate Siri and just say "REPLY"

- second, when searching for any music, after finding item or group, Siri now says "Playing (Artist Name) SHUFFLED." You can manually turn off shuffle as much as you like, but when doing voice search it ALWAYS comes back shuffled.

TDolan

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2013
Robbinsdale, MN
This started working again for me yesterday and it still works as of this morning. Siri read a message over blue tooth and then asked if I wanted to reply and I was able to reply to the message with no issues.

jollyreaper

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
i hate siri. not only does it suck data like a sponge. it's unhelpful and annoying at best. apple is probably limiting it's use because of all the issues they have with it.

----------

It's the trend now. Very poor or no support from other device manufacturers on older models. Take Samsung for example. Ever tried to get them to resolve an issue with a device that no longer can be updated with the latest OS version?

Smart TV's are the worst. Girlfriend has a very nice new Samsung 50". I was quite impressed. My TV is six years old and not smart, though it does have a mac mini as a brain transplant.

The TV's screen is a wonder to behold. The smarts? Ugh. Slow, unresponsive, crashes a bunch. Constantly need to reboot the television. Reboot a TV? Thank you, technology.

Cafesitter

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Slovakia
Appointments too!

I used to ask while driving to work "whats my schedule today" and she would run down all appointments. Now it just brings up a screen - useless in the car. Apple please fix it!;)

Truthhurtss

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
These changes happened to me starting this morning. When I first made the update there were no problems like this. I hate using Siri and I hate my iPhone now. It is no longer a hands-free device. Any time that I have to do something on it I have to look at the screen. I can no longer use this while driving to work. The whole purpose of me getting a phone with voice activation features was for me to talk to it and not have to look at it. I will no longer ever get an iPhone ever again! If I could I would even return this one. Okay, rant over… For now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.