Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epigram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
Hey all hope you can help me.

I noticed today that my phone was just searching for net. It would not find any so tried all the normal stuff with clock settings etc. nothing helped.

I then tried to restore the phone, but I couldn't it said I needed to turn off "Find my iPhone" tried to do that but it gave errors every time. I tried to delete the iPhone but it would.

Then I tried to use iTunes to restore it, but couldn't do that either (same reason).

I ended up being mad and deleted my phone from me.com (probably should have done that).

Then I tried restoring the phone first normally and now in DFU mode (i think it either have black screen or the itunes logo).

I keep getting the error attached. Hope someone can help me.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2013-09-21 kl. 21.02.21.png
    Skærmbillede 2013-09-21 kl. 21.02.21.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,541

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I work on iphones locally and this is a VERY bad hardware issue.Even if you do get it to restore which with many attempts I know that you can the modem firmware and wifi and bluetooth will be blank.The -1 comes as its installing the firmware and it is a baseband chip issue.I personally have never had any luck with this! And I have had about 5 with this problem they will never activate and act as if there is no sim card inserted if you ever get it to restore.

Edit I have heard of this being a few other things but this is just my experience with that certain itunes error please update on if you do get it working and what you did.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Hey all hope you can help me.

I noticed today that my phone was just searching for net. It would not find any so tried all the normal stuff with clock settings etc. nothing helped.

I then tried to restore the phone, but I couldn't it said I needed to turn off "Find my iPhone" tried to do that but it gave errors every time. I tried to delete the iPhone but it would.

Then I tried to use iTunes to restore it, but couldn't do that either (same reason).

I ended up being mad and deleted my phone from me.com (probably should have done that).

Then I tried restoring the phone first normally and now in DFU mode (i think it either have black screen or the itunes logo).

I keep getting the error attached. Hope someone can help me.

Are you trying to restore from a back up? or just normal restoring and not using a back up?

epigram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I work on iphones locally and this is a VERY bad hardware issue.Even if you do get it to restore which with many attempts I know that you can the modem firmware and wifi and bluetooth will be blank.The -1 comes as its installing the firmware and it is a baseband chip issue.

Aww not was i was hoping for ;)
It is error 1 not error -1 btw

Are you trying to restore from a back up? or just normal restoring and not using a back up?

Both it just errors out 70% in the Update

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Hmm hard to say what it is, if I were in that situation what I would do is to do a clean install of iTunes i would google how to do this and some preference files and system files would need to be found and deleted then I would try again this would eliminate the Mac being an issue.

epigram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2013
I tried making a new admin account on my MacBook pro and trying from there. Wouldn't that be same as a fresh install?

New pref files etc when using a new user and all.

MatG

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Sorry to be the barer of bad news but I would be pretty confident your handset has failed.

I had exactly the same issues as the OP with my iPhone 5 today, I too couldn't restore the phone to factory settings after trying everything I could.

After spending some time in the apple store today, they determined that error 1 was not something that can be resolved. Its a hardware issue that can not be fixed. As it was out of warranty it was £209 for a replacement handset or buy the new iPhone 5S, which is what i did.

They tried several times in store to resolve it, so its not your mac/pc/itunes problem, its a hardware problem. If its in warranty it will be changed if not sorry its pay up time.

Hope this helps others, as i spent a few hours trying to fix my phone before i got error 1. In hindsight, I think i would have been better of just taking it in with the searching issue, having said that it seems its gone by that point anyhow.

hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.