Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Mine seem unable to last a day. It goes down 1% for about every 5 minutes of use. Most of my background apps needs to be closed manually. Is this normal? :confused:

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Mine seem unable to last a day. It goes down 1% for about every 5 minutes of use. Most of my background apps needs to be closed manually. Is this normal? :confused:

5 minutes per 1% = 8.33 hours of usage with the screen on.

That is great battery life.

Quit using it non-stop for 8 hours straight and you will make it through the day.

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
really? haha I guess 1%/5 mins is being lenient, it would be more like 1%/3 mins so about 5 hours of usage.. that seems pretty bad to me, or is it just me? Cause I use it a lot.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Mine destroys my iPhone 5. Right now I am at 3:18 of usage and 16:06 of Standby with 67% remaining. So I am looking at just shy of 9 hours of usage and about 40 hours of standby. It was decent usage as well, not just mild browsing or text messaging, but video streaming and game play.

I would be lucky to have 25% left on my iPhone 5 with this type of usage before and after iOS 7 was installed on it.

Oh, and I restored from my iPhone 5 iTunes Backup. Which was also used on iOS 7 Betas.

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
I'm at 3 hours 10 minutes of usage and 6 hours 15 minutes of standby with 55% remaining. Is this normal?
(No video playback or games at all)

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm at 3 hours 10 minutes of usage and 6 hours 15 minutes of standby with 55% remaining. Is this normal?
(No video playback or games at all)

Anything over 5 hours of usage is considered normal, so you are getting about 7 hours of usage. So, yes you are normal, even above.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I think that the battery life is good. It may improve as I run it through some cycles. Here is what it looked like yesterday:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,025

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
This is probably a dumb question but when it says usage, is it referring to time you are actually using your phone? I'm only second-guessing because my usage is 11 hours .. :eek:

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
This is probably a dumb question but when it says usage, is it referring to time you are actually using your phone? I'm only second-guessing because my usage is 11 hours .. :eek:

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. iPhone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009

Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. iPhone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.

Cool thanks. I guess I'm getting pretty great battery life.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
can u post a pic of your usage

Sure.

Do you listen to music a lot without using your phone? That could "inflate" usage time as listening to music doesn't use much batteries.

Nope I haven't transferred my music yet. I did however turn off background app refresh for apps that don't need to be updated like Yelp and Stocks (I don't use the stocks app ever.) Also, I turn down my brightness a lot. Dunno if these things helped or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 672

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't know about you guys, but when I'm at work, I charge my phone. When I get home, I charge my phone. And between work and home, if I really need it, invest in an external battery. I have the Mophie Juicepack Helium. All in all, I can get through the day without any issues.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
So far mine hasn't been very good. Barely used it yesterday and it still died quickly. Was on wifi the whole day too. I suspect it was caused by having background app refresh on. Disabled it today and my phone is still at 100% after nearly 20 minutes of usage (browsing macrumors) with 50% brightness. Here are the pics, first one is from yesterday (it had already died and had to be charged before it would turn on) and the second is how it's doing today.

Edit: I could only get the first picture to post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
Putting stats aside (since everyone has different usage).

iPhone 5S > iPhone 5

The 5S' battery holds up much better than the 5 from what I've seen. My usage is pretty much the same as it was with my 5. I would get home after work and battery would be around 35-50%. 5S is more around 50-65%

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Usage (music only, screen off) can be deceiving. There needs to be something that shows you screen time on/off. That would be more realistic of usage. I can get over 20hrs+ of usage only listening to music which would make my stats look amazing.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
Have to say, coming from a 4S that was no longer able to last me the day, my 5S is a godsend! Currently showing Standby time of 1 day 4 hours and Usage of 7 hours 24 minutes with 21% battery left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.