Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Don't know if you were there to look, but they have them hooked up to Mac Mini's on display if you wanna fool around with it. They looked really nice and crisp.

Do you know if this is at all BestBuy locations? I would like to get one of these for my iBook!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
ITASOR said:
Don't know if you were there to look, but they have them hooked up to Mac Mini's on display if you wanna fool around with it. They looked really nice and crisp.

Do you know if this is at all BestBuy locations? I would like to get one of these for my iBook!
It's also available online so it's probably nationwide. I have $5 off in Reward Zone money. If I get it tomorrow I can get double points on it too. I've used them on the Mini's that they have there. They're nice monitors. I'm not expecting professional performance off of it. I just want an extra LCD for my new PowerMac G3. :D

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01013&id=1112808997046

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've had one since September. One of the first things I heard was that it was inexpensive because it's low resolution: 1280x768 isn't that much, especially when the previous PowerBooks had 1280x854. Also, it only supports 16.2 million colours, not 16,777,216, as most displays support.

I really like mine. Is it a substitute for a 20 inch Apple LCD? No, but you can afford two of them and still have change for an iSight or something else.

One thing I really like is that it's so good in bright light. Movie playback is good and the display seems quite responsive, though I haven't looked at the actual response figure. UT2004 and associated games based on the engine will work in widescreen with a little text editing. Quake III and its engined-based games will play in stretched mode.

My photos on my desktop background are more easily seen and my graphic design tools are further over and more of my photos are displayed during editing. Still, I have to adjust my technique to match the change in colour fidelity. The 5 year old 1024x768 LCD was said to have 24-bit colour depth but I think it was more like 8-bit colour depth. However, it was closer to real life than this one is, so I changed ColorSync profiles from standard to Adobe RGB 1998.

By the way, there is no video cable included and Best Buy charges over $50 for a DVI cable.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
bousozoku said:
I've had one since September. One of the first things I heard was that it was inexpensive because it's low resolution: 1280x768 isn't that much, especially when the previous PowerBooks had 1280x854. Also, it only supports 16.2 million colours, not 16,777,216, as most displays support.

I really like mine. Is it a substitute for a 20 inch Apple LCD? No, but you can afford two of them and still have change for an iSight or something else.

One thing I really like is that it's so good in bright light. Movie playback is good and the display seems quite responsive, though I haven't looked at the actual response figure. UT2004 and associated games based on the engine will work in widescreen with a little text editing. Quake III and its engined-based games will play in stretched mode.

My photos on my desktop background are more easily seen and my graphic design tools are further over and more of my photos are displayed during editing. Still, I have to adjust my technique to match the change in colour fidelity. The 5 year old 1024x768 LCD was said to have 24-bit colour depth but I think it was more like 8-bit colour depth. However, it was closer to real life than this one is, so I changed ColorSync profiles from standard to Adobe RGB 1998.

By the way, there is no video cable included and Best Buy charges over $50 for a DVI cable.
HAHAHA, buying cables from Best Buy. That's the worst idea ever. They overcharge so much. I'll get them off of Newegg, Amazon, or Fry's. I need some FireWire cables anyways. Don't worry. At work we get Dell LCD's with DVI cables and we never use them since we already have DVI cables out there. I'll be using the analog off of my PowerMac and iMac. I'll get a DVI cable from work whenever I need it. ;)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
bousozoku said:

Thanks for the personal review. I might consider purchaseing it. But new/back-up pair of glasses take priority.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Okay, that is the one. I got one for my mom because it's got a nice big dot pitch and matches her mini. It's a decent basic monitor, and the wide screen is a big help for all those Mac apps that like to put everything in columns and drawers.

The brightness is wonderful. It's totally incapable of approximating black, though. Don't expect even the basic calibration tool that comes with OS X to get close. The display is pleasing once you get used to it. The speakers are typical built-in monitor speakers, better than the built-in mini speaker but that's it.

On the plus side, the cabinet looks really nice alongside Apple hardware and text is very clear and readable, even in daylight.

On the sample I picked up, the little Westinghouse logo was crooked and that's surprisingly annoying. Fortunately it was only a set of stickers and slid off easily with a razor blade.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I wanted to upgrade to this, but my Samsung 17" LCD is 1280x1024 and this is 1280x768, so I would be downgrading in screen space. It would be like chopping a few inches off the bottom of mine, so I'll just stick with mine. This is a really nice LCD though!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Eidorian said:
HAHAHA, buying cables from Best Buy. That's the worst idea ever. They overcharge so much. I'll get them off of Newegg, Amazon, or Fry's. I need some FireWire cables anyways. Don't worry. At work we get Dell LCD's with DVI cables and we never use them since we already have DVI cables out there. I'll be using the analog off of my PowerMac and iMac. I'll get a DVI cable from work whenever I need it. ;)

Well, thanks for that. I'm glad to know that if you had learnt 50 minutes after buying the thing that there was no cable whatsoever, you would just mis-appropriate one from work. I didn't have that luxury and I wasn't going to wait a week to get one shipped to me. Had I gone to CompUSA, the cable would have been even more expensive, so it seemed a reasonable compromise considering that the monitor was $50 off at the same time.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
bousozoku said:
Well, thanks for that. I'm glad to know that if you had learnt 50 minutes after buying the thing that there was no cable whatsoever, you would just mis-appropriate one from work. I didn't have that luxury and I wasn't going to wait a week to get one shipped to me. Had I gone to CompUSA, the cable would have been even more expensive, so it seemed a reasonable compromise considering that the monitor was $50 off at the same time.
I have about 100 standard 3-plug power cables and about 50 VGA cables from new computers and monitors that we order. That's in MY office alone. Most of the older stuff gets replaced but we reuse most of the of old cables since they haven't changed that much in 2-4 years. So, I have a ton of cables and notthing to do with them at work. :cool:

At wost...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._1/104-7915419-5974341?n=507846&s=pc&v=glance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812105813

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I got a raincheck from Best Buy. They sold both of the ones they had in stock today. No rush...I pulled a 20" Sony CRT from work. It's big but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.