Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I thought it was an excellent movie. The movie has a more realistic pacing where it feels like you are really experiencing what the characters are going through. The 3D is really well done. (It wasn't gimmicky like most 3D movies) The soundtrack is amazing and chilling. Overall, a very engaging, dramatic space movie.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I liked it because I like space. If you like space then visuals will more than satisfy you. However I think movie kinda sucked. At the end of the movie I could think of many different scenarios that would have made the movie more engaging or entertaining. I'm still happy a movie like that was made but for contrast, I saw the movie Rush on the weekend and I was blown away by how well it was made. One of the best movies I've seen this year (or even longer).

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
havent seen it but any movie with sandra bullock (with exception of speed) is boring

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
The tears in space was sorta gimmicky, and the last act was a bit of a letdown. But the visuals are ace.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I saw it and it is quite visually striking. The cinematography really adds to the whole experience. I liked the cast, especially Bullock, but as far as the plot and characters go, it's okay. It seemed kind of cliche and some parts seem like pure luck. I wouldn't call it the greatest film in 20 years like someone else did, but it's worth going to watch it in theatres.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I saw it yesterday and agree with many here: visually, it was stunning, and if you're going to see it, do so in 3D on the largest screen you can find. The story, however, wasn't as good as the visuals and effects were. Still, I'd give it a thumbs up.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I agree that I thought there would be more to the ending. I think it ended that way because the movie is a metaphor for rebirth.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Saw it. Was not impressed. Maybe its because im hard to impress when it comes to 3D movies.

More importantly, I didn't find the movie to be super enjoyable.

Probably because i thought there wasn't anybody in the world who could be luckier than Ryan Stone. Dodging debris like a pro and working a fire extinguisher like a god.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Saw it with 2 friends and we all agreed that is was just ok. Good visuals, but weak plot and dialog. The rest of the audience seemed unimpressed.

The audience seemed unimpressed when I went, too. I went in with expectations that its strongpoint would be visuals, not story. I guess it depends on that. Even with a weak story, I still thought it was very suspenseful. I really liked the suspense, soundtrack, visuals, use of 3D, and twists along the way.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The audience seemed unimpressed when I went, too. I went in with expectations that its strongpoint would be visuals, not story. I guess it depends on that. Even with a weak story, I still thought it was very suspenseful. I really liked the suspense, soundtrack, visuals, use of 3D, and twists along the way.

In fairness, we did not see this on IMAX, which would have been much better.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Reminds me a lot of the movie where 2 people floated in the ocean for the whole movie or the other movie where one guy sat on a island with a volley ball for the whole movie.

Boring.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I loved it. It's been a very long while since I've seen a movie with real drama, rather than just cardboard cutouts going from pointless action scene to pointless action scene.

(I hate what people like Michael Bay have done to the industry)

Last edited:

Gandalf theGrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
The musics are Wicked-Cool. It feels like a MTV with intense mind-boggling dynamism.
The OST definately one of the best ever. Reminds me of Tangerine Dream - Dream Mixes 3(2001), Astral Voyager (1986), and Wavelength : Soundtrack (1984).

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It escaped the atmosphere here before I was ready to go see it. Movies just don't hang around for very long any more. I could drive three hours, but it's not worth that much trouble to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.