Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimterry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
I just bought two LG 27EA63V-P displays and am having second thoughts. The displays cost me about 3 bills each and I wanted to set them up with my mid 2010 MBP-15 (i7). I also have a two other mac portables (an MBA (i3) and and a MBP 13 (i5)) that both have thunderbolt, but my main machine is the MBP 15 (non thunderbolt). I just upgraded the ram on the MBP-15 to 8G and also bought an SSD (intel 530 series 240GB) that I am going to install. Ultimately I would like to build a desktop (read:hackintosh) to compete with the new Mac Pro, as I cannot afford the new dream machine -but want some of the awesome power it can provide. I am seriously thinking about taking these two 27inch panels back to pick up a new 29EA73V-P ultrawide 29" LG. It has display port inputs and the two current in the box 27s have only a dvi and hdmi input. Can anyone help me decide what to do? I thought about hooking up a single 27 to the MBP-15 and calling it good, then later playing with multimonitor for the forthcoming desktop, but I am so confused as to what would be the best price point. As another alternative, I seriously considered an open box thunderbolt 27" that my local store has for about 130 bucks off list. Considered biting the bullet and getting this AND another new one, but I believe these may not work AT all with my main MBP-15 (non-TB) It has display port only. Some say it will work, without sound, isight, etc... others say forget it... not joy whatsoever. Please help me in this quest!

jimterry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Ok screw it... Otw to exchange these two for a single 29" ultrawide. It's newer, better res, brighter, and has some new tech that hasn't really been reviewed. In gonna bite.

thomas130

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
Im going to buy a 29 ultra wide as well I like the idea of having more width for programming or two web browser without having two screens

jimterry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
I am working on getting the display set up now. Unfortunately I could not find a DP to MDP cable anywhere in town. I have to order it. I just set up the screen split funtion and it seems to be working pretty cool. I just need the cable I believe to take full advantage of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.