Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The battery life on my top spec 13-inch rmpb is...

• Less than 7 hours

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • 7 hours

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • 8 hours

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • 9 hours

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • 10 hours

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • More than 10 hours

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Hi everyone

Would those of you who are the lucky owners of late 2013 top spec. 13 inch retina macbook pro (i7, 16gb ram, 512 gb ssd) please report the battery life you're getting?

Would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

PS: please post the battery life you're actually getting, not the ever changing estimation that Mavericks provides.

Last edited:

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I would also be very interested in this. In particular the comparison between 8GB/2.6GHz vs 16GB/2.8GHz.

Good point... Would also be interested to see how that affects battery life. It will highly influence my purchasing decision!

wido

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Germany
I'm doing some light web browsing currently for about 20 minutes unplugged. The battery indicator still shows 100% and 11:22 remaining.

13"r/i7/16GB/512GB

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
I'm doing some light web browsing currently for about 20 minutes unplugged. The battery indicator still shows 100% and 11:22 remaining.

13"r/i7/16GB/512GB

Just about to pull the trigger on the model you have... 11:22 sounds too good to be true : )

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Just about to pull the trigger on the model you have... 11:22 sounds too good to be true : )

Indeed, it sounds too good to be true. I tried the rmbp today in store and after playing around with it for a while (unplugged) the battery estimator fluctuated a lot, from 6,5 hours indicated to almost 9 hours. That's why it's useless to monitor the battery indicator. It's not really accurate. It changes constantly.

wido

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Germany
With iTunes streaming music to my AppleTV it's down now to 7 hours. As already noted, the estimate drasticly varies on your current usage.

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Thing is that i need this laptop for school as well....having 8 hour school days, i had hoped the rmbp would last that long (maybe a bit longer) to take notes and follow the teachers powerpoint slides.

So while the laptop is unplugged i wont do heavy tasks. Any idea if it will last throughout the time i spent in school?

wido

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
Germany
Based on my current usage from the last 4 days and assuming that you won't be using the MacBook for the whole 8 hours (breaks between lessons, lunch, etc.), the top configuration will definetly last your complete school day.

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
Thing is that i need this laptop for school as well....having 8 hour school days, i had hoped the rmbp would last that long (maybe a bit longer) to take notes and follow the teachers powerpoint slides.

So while the laptop is unplugged i wont do heavy tasks. Any idea if it will last throughout the time i spent in school?

If you only type I think it will last you more than 8 hours.

sabbyp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
the battery indicator is pretty redundant imo - the only real test is is to charge it to 100%, put a looping video on and keep track of how long it lasts until it dies.

i'll be taking mine on an international flight soon, if it passes 8 hours i'll be v happy!

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
the battery indicator is pretty redundant imo - the only real test is is to charge it to 100%, put a looping video on and keep track of how long it lasts until it dies.

i'll be taking mine on an international flight soon, if it passes 8 hours i'll be v happy!

Awesome! Could you please report back after your flight?

Thanks in advance :)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
It would be awesome if the 13" i7 can get that 10-11 hours of iTunes video estimate. I mean, it's not really pushing the CPU so I don't see why an i7 would use more battery in that situation.

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
It would be awesome if the 13" i7 can get that 10-11 hours of iTunes video estimate. I mean, it's not really pushing the CPU so I don't see why an i7 would use more battery in that situation.

I would think (without knowing) that the i7 uses more power just to run, than say an i5. Also 16 gb of ram (I assume that will be two ram sticks with 8gb each) use more power to run than if the laptop just had one stick of 8 gb ram.

All the 13inch reviews so far that I have read, were entry-level or mid-level machines.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I would think (without knowing) that the i7 uses more power just to run, than say an i5. Also 16 gb of ram (I assume that will be two ram sticks with 8gb each) use more power to run than if the laptop just had one stick of 8 gb ram.

All the 13inch reviews so far that I have read, were entry-level or mid-level machines.

RAM won't make a difference with the battery. And battery life is typically the same on i5/i7 under a light workload, which is what I'd define iTunes HD video playback as.

I'm going to be taking some pretty long flights, so it'd be awesome if the i7 could get at least 10 hours of video playback. Engadget did a review and got over 11 hours on the 2.4 i5.

I don't think there would be a difference, if anything it'd be 30 minutes or so. But you never know. I'd be disappointed if there was actually a major difference.

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
RAM won't make a difference with the battery. And battery life is typically the same on i5/i7 under a light workload, which is what I'd define iTunes HD video playback as.

I'm going to be taking some pretty long flights, so it'd be awesome if the i7 could get at least 10 hours of video playback. Engadget did a review and got over 11 hours on the 2.4 i5.

I don't think there would be a difference, if anything it'd be 30 minutes or so. But you never know. I'd be disappointed if there was actually a major difference.

I think you are right about the testing procedure. Doing a video playing battery drain test will probably give the best response, as it is a consistent process. If the i7 does in fact use a lot of extra power, I will highly consider the 2,6ghz i5 instead.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

I bet it will if you watch the screen brightness and only turn on wifi for short periods to retrieve emails, etc.

I am at 85% with the screen at mid brightness and doing medium level browsing and it shows just under nine hours left, can't really tell you how much I get per day because I am only on it a couple hours per day.

If battery life is a big concern wait a few more days or even a week for more beta, it can't hurt...

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I bet it will if you watch the screen brightness and only turn on wifi for short periods to retrieve emails, etc.

I am at 85% with the screen at mid brightness and doing medium level browsing and it shows just under nine hours left, can't really tell you how much I get per day because I am only on it a couple hours per day.

If battery life is a big concern wait a few more days or even a week for more beta, it can't hurt...

Yeah, I'll probably wait a week more before ordering, so hopefully some more detailed info will come up before that regarding battery life. The poll answers above cover the whole range, so no conclusive answer there.

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
as the poll results keep coming in, i'm happy this isn't the "ask the audience" joker on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire"

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009

I guess we need someone who actually runs down (drains) his battery all the way to know for sure how many hours someone can have in real life situations. Any volunteers? :D

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I guess we need someone who actually runs down (drains) his battery all the way to know for sure how many hours someone can have in real life situations. Any volunteers? :D

Some people going on long-haul flights, will hopefully report back, so we can get a proper estimate!

Tears Apart

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Outside Closer
Couldn't be less conclusive than this at the moment:

Less than 7 hours 4 23.53%
7 hours 2 11.76%
8 hours 3 17.65%
9 hours 2 11.76%
10 hours 2 11.76%
More than 10 hours 4 23.53%

:)

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Couldn't be less conclusive than this at the moment:

Less than 7 hours 4 23.53%
7 hours 2 11.76%
8 hours 3 17.65%
9 hours 2 11.76%
10 hours 2 11.76%
More than 10 hours 4 23.53%

:)

I suspect all of these results might be true, depending on which tasks you perform. So the data is biased, i just hoped to receive some sort of average answer, maybe based on surfing the web, watching a few youtube videos, editing a text etc.

dankev

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013

I use my laptop between 10 and 15 hours a day, and I avoid plugging in during the day, so I've run it down many of the 10 or so days I've had it. Unfortunately for this particular thread, I have the 2.4 i5. However, I can tell you I am typically getting 10-12 hours by the time I get to 20%. My usage is pretty light, though. Several Word docs and 8-10 Safari tabs open all day. Wifi on, brightness at about 60%.

I commute on my bicycle, and I'd really love to be able to leave my charger at home, but considering how long some of my days are, I don't feel like I'm quite at that point.

EatingApples

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I use my laptop between 10 and 15 hours a day, and I avoid plugging in during the day, so I've run it down many of the 10 or so days I've had it. Unfortunately for this particular thread, I have the 2.4 i5. However, I can tell you I am typically getting 10-12 hours by the time I get to 20%. My usage is pretty light, though. Several Word docs and 8-10 Safari tabs open all day. Wifi on, brightness at about 60%.

I commute on my bicycle, and I'd really love to be able to leave my charger at home, but considering how long some of my days are, I don't feel like I'm quite at that point.

That actually astonishing, although it's the 2.4 i5. Maybe I should choose the golden middle option, the 2.6 ghz i5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.