Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
ive got my imac (late 2012, 27 inch) in march 2013 and recently it started showing this, like a dust smudge on the screen, similar problem to the model before.

2itq6nl.jpg

its aprox 2-3 cm in length. its not extremely visible but im scared of it getting larger. that spot, lower left corner, is also accompanied by light backlight bleeding but nothing major.

would you return it to the shop and ask for repair?

anyone have similar problems?

i thought the dust problem has been resolved...

thank you all for your input

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
yes you should return it for a screen replacement.

I actually replaced 3 times my late 2009 iMac screen because of smudges and will never get tired.

Currently I can't way to see my late 2013 getting some of these, you know, a new screen every couple of months is interesting.

The good news is that Apple hasn't yet learned that the crappy cheap screens are failing since years and it's time to find a new supplier...

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
If you can, I'd exchange it.

One of the areas where I insist on near perfection is the screen. I can't tolerate dead pixels, screen anomalies, or excessive bleeding.

Post purchase, the screen is what we deal with the most. Whether the computer is fast or slow, the screen will be a constant.

My advice, if the option is available, to find a screen you are completely satisfied with.

historyteacher

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
I agree with the others. That is a big investment and obviously there is a defect. Take it to apple and have them take a look at it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
One quick question - does anybody in the house smoke?

I've seen marks like that caused by cigarette smoke before. Alcohol wipe to the back of the glass normally does the trick.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
One quick question - does anybody in the house smoke?

I've seen marks like that caused by cigarette smoke before. Alcohol wipe to the back of the glass normally does the trick.

This is not caused by smoking. This is a flaw with the LCD panel. Some people will tell you about cleaning the inside of the LCD but that's not the case with real smudges. Excessive temperature and heat will cause it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This is not caused by smoking. This is a flaw with the LCD panel. Some people will tell you about cleaning the inside of the LCD but that's not the case with real smudges. Excessive temperature and heat will cause it.

I've seen it caused by smoking ;).

I only say that because that's not the normal pattern of an LCD failure. It could be the LCD delaminating, it could be something else - without taking the glass off it's impossible to tell.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I've seen it caused by smoking ;).

I only say that because that's not the normal pattern of an LCD failure. It could be the LCD delaminating, it could be something else - without taking the glass off it's impossible to tell.

Well if that's the case, I wonder why Genius Bar guys told me that they failed getting rid of the smudges by dismantling and cleaning it.

Btw, I'm a heavy smoker but again I have hard time believing the smoking story. My other iMac at work had the same smudges and I never smoke there :confused:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Well if that's the case, I wonder why Genius Bar guys told me that they failed getting rid of the smudges by dismantling and cleaning it.

Btw, I'm a heavy smoker but again I have hard time believing the smoking story. My other iMac at work had the same smudges and I never smoke there :confused:

Note: I said it *could* be either. :p.

Although - either way in a 2012 iMac (I didn't notice this!) it's a whole unit replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.