Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miK.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I'd like to make OSX's Mail.app badge look the way it does in iOS7.
Has anyone successfully done this?

So this:
oxsmail.png
looks like this:
iOSmail.PNG

I found what I thought was the badge file and created a replacement red circle
tif and placed it in the Mail.app resources but replacing that tif file doesn't work.
The Dockstar app for Mac does not do this.

Any ideas? Thanks!

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
click show in Finder on the Mail app, right click Get Info. In the top left corner of the Get Info window there is an app icon, click it once to get it highlighted and you can paste the desired icon over the existing icon. Give necessary read/write permissions to make the change.

n8cousins

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2013
Burlington, Vermont
Wish it was possible...

I would love to know how to do this too.

I've searched everywhere and as far as I know it's not possible to change the badge in Mavericks. But based on the original badge img you posted, are you on SnowLeopard or something? I haven't seen that badge style in years.

Not sure what bobfitz14 is talking about. That method is for changing app icons. He must not have read your post very carefully.

Mark72501

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
click show in Finder on the Mail app, right click Get Info. In the top left corner of the Get Info window there is an app icon, click it once to get it highlighted and you can paste the desired icon over the existing icon. Give necessary read/write permissions to make the change.

That's how you change the app icon which is not what the OP was asking about...

n8cousins, yes I think you're correct with your last sentence...

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I would love to know how to do this too.

I've searched everywhere and as far as I know it's not possible to change the badge in Mavericks. But based on the original badge img you posted, are you on SnowLeopard or something? I haven't seen that badge style in years.

Not sure what bobfitz14 is talking about. That method is for changing app icons. He must not have read your post very carefully.

Lol oops yeah didn't read that one carefully. Was changing app badges doable prior to Mavericks? Might be a dumb question... I've never messed around with my dock/app icons/badges/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.