Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Ready for a Google contact lens?

Google is developing a smart contact lens. The first version is intended for diabetics but you can imagine that if this is successful then the same technology could be used for non-medical uses.

The contact lens contains a tiny wireless chip embedded between two layers of soft contact lens material, plus a glucose sensor. They're experimenting with tiny integrated LED lights. I'm sure we can all think of new (wonderful or scary) uses for sensors, lights, and wireless communications embedded in your eyes!

Google blog link

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm not sure that I, for one, am ready to put something made by Google in my eye.

It does, however, give a whole new meaning to the phrase..."stick it in your eye!".

And let the Google-will-collect-information-from-your-eye ( or brain, or <fill in other paranoid fantasy>) begin!

;) :D

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
StarTrek_GeordiLaForge_Ocularimplant.jpg

name this movie!

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
Google is developing a smart contact lens. The first version is intended for diabetics but you can imagine that if this is successful then the same technology could be used for non-medical uses.

The contact lens contains a tiny wireless chip embedded between two layers of soft contact lens material, plus a glucose sensor. They're experimenting with tiny integrated LED lights. I'm sure we can all think of new (wonderful or scary) uses for sensors, lights, and wireless communications embedded in your eyes!

Google blog link

How about built-in zoom? You would focus on an object and be able to zoom in, oh lets say, 200x? Then of course what good is zoom unless it can take pictures as well. Ah, the future.:D

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Google comes up with technology to improve quality of life, extend and save lives of diabetics. Will pronoia or paranoia ensue? The answer may or may not be surprising.

Film at 11:00.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
Google comes up with technology to improve quality of life, extend and save lives of diabetics. Will pronoia or paranoia ensue? The answer may or may not be surprising.

Film at 11:00.

People have always feared what they do not understand. I remember my mother telling me about the moon landing. She was scared some big catastrophe would happen when the astronauts touched down. Acceptance takes time.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
People have always feared what they do not understand. I remember my mother telling me about the moon landing. She was scared some big catastrophe would happen when the astronauts touched down. Acceptance takes time.

So true!

I'm terrified by new technology.:eek:

But then, I'm terrified by dust bunnies, too.

:rolleyes: ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If putting a contact lens in my eye was the only way to use a computer and contact the outside world, I couldn't do it. I'm Squamish about eyes, and the thought of even a standard contact lens makes me feel sick.
Just as well I have good vision.

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
If putting a contact lens in my eye was the only way to use a computer and contact the outside world, I couldn't do it. I'm Squamish about eyes, and the thought of even a standard contact lens makes me feel sick.
Just as well I have good vision.

I remember getting LASIK back in 2006. They put a metal device on your eyelids to keep them from closing, then they suctioned my eye with something. After a few seconds of the suction, my vision went dark for a minute. Then they cut and flip the top of it back and use the laser to reshape the lens. I didn't care for the procedure but I loved the results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.