Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guigue

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
Hi!

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro 1.1, and part of it was installing a SSD. It is currently in Bay 1 using a IcyDock, but it used to be connected to one of the onboard SATA port and housed in the second optical bay. I had the following problem with both setups.

My problem is the SSD crashes Bootcamp every time. It will load fine, but after a minute the whole system will get unresponsive, and eventually I'll get a BSOD with a different error every time.

I isolated the hard drive by simply pulling it out before loading Windows. It is not the boot drive so it doesn't matter.

I checked and there's not firmware update available for the SSD. I was just wondering if there's an issue with NFS SSD in Windows 7. I can't find anything definitive so I'm asking here in case someone else had an issue.

Last edited:

jimj740

macrumors regular
There is a known bootcamp issue that matches your symptoms, however it has nothing to do with SSD drives.

The issue I encountered is that the HFS file system driver installed by Apple as part of bootcamp cannot handle anything other than the most basic forms of Mac HFS volumes. If you have a software RAID volume defined then the HFS driver will crash windows as soon as the volume is accessed. Typically this happens when Windows indexing starts up and hits the HFS volume, roughly a minute or so after boot.

If you have any HFS software RAID volumes, then the trick is to get to a command shell ASAP after boot and delete the HFS driver from your windows installation before the crash. The next time you boot all will be better, but you will obviously not be able to browse your HFS volumes from within windows.

Hope this helps,

-JimJ

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hi!

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro 1.1, and part of it was installing a SSD. It is currently in Bay 1 using a IcyDock, but it used to be connected to one of the onboard SATA port and housed in the second optical bay. I had the following problem with both setups.

My problem is the SSD crashes Bootcamp every time. It will load fine, but after a minute the whole system will get unresponsive, and eventually I'll get a BSOD with a different error every time.

I isolated the hard drive by simply pulling it out before loading Windows. It is not the boot drive so it doesn't matter.

I checked and there's not firmware update available for the SSD. I was just wondering if there's an issue with NFS SSD in Windows 7. I can't find anything definitive so I'm asking here in case someone else had an issue.

What does "It will load fine" mean? Can you log into Windows before it crashes?

Did it work OK before moving the SSD? In the Apple BIOS setup are there any configuration settings for the SATA ports going to the optical bays?

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
What other hardware was added during the upgrade? I had this issue when I added my Velocity Solo x1 to my system. The issue itself is with Windows 7, and unfortunately, my solution was to use Windows 8.1 because it handles the AHCI drivers better. You could try running the AHCI mod and see if that helps at all.

Guigue

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
There is a known bootcamp issue that matches your symptoms, however it has nothing to do with SSD drives.

The issue I encountered is that the HFS file system driver installed by Apple as part of bootcamp cannot handle anything other than the most basic forms of Mac HFS volumes. If you have a software RAID volume defined then the HFS driver will crash windows as soon as the volume is accessed. Typically this happens when Windows indexing starts up and hits the HFS volume, roughly a minute or so after boot.

If you have any HFS software RAID volumes, then the trick is to get to a command shell ASAP after boot and delete the HFS driver from your windows installation before the crash. The next time you boot all will be better, but you will obviously not be able to browse your HFS volumes from within windows.

Hope this helps,

-JimJ

Thanks for the reply, that seems closest to my problem. It is strange however that it affects only this one HD, since my software RAID is using 2 different hard drives. I will look into it, thanks again!

----------

What does "It will load fine" mean? Can you log into Windows before it crashes?

Did it work OK before moving the SSD? In the Apple BIOS setup are there any configuration settings for the SATA ports going to the optical bays?

Windows starts, I get to do things normally for a couple of minutes before Windows gradually slows down to a crawl. I get the error no matter when the SSD is plugged, moving it from the onboard SATA to one of the four bays changed nothing

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have had the AppleHFS driver causing a crash with "CACHE_MANAGER" error. These instructions fixed the problem on both my iMac (no sw-raid) and Mac Pro (with several sw-raid):

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13449458/

Quote:
How to remove AppleHFS & AppleMNT Drivers:
1. Start in Safe Mode (Hold F8 before the Windows loading screen)
2. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
3. Rename AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
4. Restart
5. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
6. Delete AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
7. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit" and press Enter
8. In Regedit delete -
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleHFS]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleMNT]

Hope this helps your issue ...

-howard

Last edited:

Guigue

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
I have had the AppleHFS driver causing a crash with "CACHE_MANAGER" error. These instructions fixed the problem on both my iMac (no se-raid) and Mac Pro (with several se-raid):

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13449458/

Quote:
How to remove AppleHFS & AppleMNT Drivers:
1. Start in Safe Mode (Hold F8 before the Windows loading screen)
2. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
3. Rename AppleHFS.sys & AppleMNT.sys to AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
4. Restart
5. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\
6. Delete AppleHFS.sy_ & AppleMNT.sy_
7. In the Start Menu search box type "regedit" and press Enter
8. In Regedit delete -
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleHFS]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AppleMNT]

Hope this helps your issue ...

-howard

Thanks for that. It seems like it won't be necessary. I rebooted with the intention of removing the 2 drivers, but I think I didn't reboot in safe mode. Anyway, I had the time to rename the files. I expected the computer to crash right after, but it didn't, surprisingly. I decided to reboot anyway, and as expected Windows cannot read my HFS drives anymore.

I thought I wouldn't be able to reboot on MacOS X using the Boot Camp control panel but it's still able to see my OSX startup drive! Honestly, I just use my PC side for some occasional gaming, so my HFS drives are not really necessary.

I consider the issue solved! Thanks everyone

jimj740

macrumors regular
I thought I wouldn't be able to reboot on MacOS X using the Boot Camp control panel but it's still able to see my OSX startup drive! Honestly, I just use my PC side for some occasional gaming, so my HFS drives are not really necessary.

I consider the issue solved! Thanks everyone

Glad to have helped; sorry if I did not make it clear that only the ability to browse HFS would be affected; I could have told you the ability to use Boot Camp to switch back to OSX would not be affected.

I really can't believe Apple has left such a serious bug in bootcamp for soooo long. Although I have not personally tried it, it is my belief that this bug affects everyone with Fusion drive configurations too!

-JimJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.