Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
lordmac said:
Amongst all the crazy apple stuff going on today google has officially announced and made available google earth for the mac.

Is it universal binary? :)

(I would love to check it myself, but the site is busy.)

lordmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
vniow said:

yea no universal binary :( ,. Also seems to like ram a lot but it runs quite smooth on my 867mhz 12inch powerbook with 640mb of ram. just slighty choppy when i had safari with ten tabs (lol checking out all the mac and reactions.) , text edit , ichat and mail.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I'd never used the PC version but had heard a lot of good things about it. I downloaded it just an hour ago and it's enthralling. I've always loved maps and this is just fantastic.

Of course my house is lost in a blur but zooming into LA, London etc. is surreal.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Glad to see that it's officially available now, even though I've had the not-so-official beta for a while. Now if only Google would offer Mac versions of some of it's other stuff.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Lord Blackadder said:
Are you running Tiger?

Yup!

A weird thing just happened though - just a few seconds after I posted, the window finally appeared on the iMac's screen. From the console messages, I can see it took just 1 hour and 17 minutes to launch! Bring on the Intel Macs, pleeeeeze! :D

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
mpw said:
I'd never used the PC version but had heard a lot of good things about it. I downloaded it just an hour ago and it's enthralling. I've always loved maps and this is just fantastic.

Of course my house is lost in a blur but zooming into LA, London etc. is surreal.

I downloaded the beta a while back & I agree that it's absolutely fascinating. I spent a good long time just zooming around. :)

I don't know how often the photos are upgraded - I could clearly see my ex-housemate's car outside our old flat - and we moved out a couple of years ago.

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
This thing is very jumpy on my 1.8 G5 iMac. Kinda like stop motion animation only choppier. It actually worked more smoothly (still choppy) on my dual 533 G4. Really unusable for me considering I've got a decent Windows machine that runs it very nicely. Oh well, it's only beta. Hopefully things will get better.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have the PC version running at home on a PIII 550Mhz, 512MB RAM and Radeon 7000 32MB. Performance is pretty good - better than I excpected really.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Brilliant! I've been lusting after this for ages!

Tips: in preferences increase RAM cache, detail area size, and elevation exaggeration. I knew 2GB would be useful one day (;) )

Then fly somewhere dramatic like Grenoble, or Khatmandu.

And adjust the tilt. Beautiful.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I had no problems with the Beta version, but printing was not supported (whenever you would click print).

Printing is supported in the version released yesterday, but everytime I try to print, Google Earth quits.

Other than that, this is a great app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.