Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will_reed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Wouldnt it be nice to see one last great powerpc mac?
It could include a bluray burner as well.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I mean look at the 20th anniversary Mac

20thanmac.jpg

It looks like the precursor for the current iMac. 30" iMac here we come. With all that space they can put in dual Core Duos (Quad Core iMac!) and also the price will be similar to the 20th which according to sites came out at ~$10,000

Apple-History Comment said:
Date: Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 01:58:04 -0500
Subject: 20th Anniversary Mac

I just wanted to add a comment about the 20th Anniversary Mac. I was actually selling macs retail at the time of it's release and there was a very Apple-esque promotion based around the celebration. You mention that it started at a retail of $10 K. But what this included was that a limo would deliver the Mac to your house, and a man in a Tuxedo would set it up for you. We only had one customer who actually went through with this, but as far as I know, the setup was delivered as described. Not bad for $10 K.

Ben

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Jobs is not a nostalgic man, so as much as I would like to see a 30th anniverary Mac that embraces Apple's past, it will (if it ever exists) be forward looking, just like the TAM's design was (even io the hardware was conventional).

They could do a copy of the original 128k Mac, but with iMac guts.

I like the 30" iMac idea - vey forward thinking, because some day there will probably be a 30" all-in-one Mac anyway...

Maybe it will be something ultra small....

Apple always pull interesting desings out for these sort of occasions, so I can only hope that a 30th anniversary Mac is truly in the works.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
That's pretty funny (the limo bit). Personally, since Apple is decidedly much more consumer oriented these days (iPods are the #1 selling item, iMacs are the mostupdated line, etc) the 30th annivarsary machine should be somethign target at that crowd.

As I posted in another thread, I'd like to see the cube come back as a cross between the mini and powermacs (small, quiet, affordable, but mroe upgradable). However, the 30th anniversary model will almost HAVE to be some kind of all-in-one machine. So, what about making it a laptop?

Say a 13" widescreen iBook looking machine, Core Duo of course, that has ViVo (Video In Video Out) features, a pivoting display section so it can be used tablet style OR can be locked into an A-frame stlye position and used as a small TV. It would also come with any/all of the following:

Remote (Gotta have it)
An Airport Express A/V (first only available with the 30th, but eventually sold seperately)
Some really good wireless headphones to enjoy your media on the go
Maybe some kind of virtual all in one surround sound speaker units
I think it would be cool if it came with an iPod Nano (maybe a special edition one) with video and wireless features (maybe that would be the AExpress A/V component!) then have a completely internal slot stlye dock for it on the Mac...

These all seem like cool ideas to me, and having them introduced all together as a special edition Mac would be kinda neat...

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Don't forget the 6502, miloblithe.
Who knows what they'll do, what if it's a special edition ipod. It's 30 years of Apple, not 30 years of the mac. I'm not sure what they'll do, I'd rather not say. I just hope it's something as cool and innovative as the 20th anniversary mac. It has to be something as far out there as the cube was.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Morn said:
Don't forget the 6502, miloblithe.
Who knows what they'll do, what if it's a special edition ipod. It's 30 years of Apple, not 30 years of the mac.

You're right. My math was a bit off there.

I agree Blackadder there. The best idea is a new direction, especially since its the Apple not Mac annaversary. I'd vote for the totally revamped, rethought Mini.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
If its a new direction...

How about a tablet/iPad/Newton to shake things up a bit. If Apple is already merging the iBook/PowerBook lines into the MacBook, then there would seem to be room for a second brand of portable. Just like the iMac is more compact than the PowerMac, the iPad is more streamlined than even a MacBook. Maybe it would even inherit the "i" from the iBook and really be the iPad. 13" iBook rumors might not have been that far off after all...:D :D

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
mrgreen4242 said:
Remote (Gotta have it)
I think it would be cool if it came with an iPod Nano (maybe a special edition one) with video and wireless features (maybe that would be the AExpress A/V component!) then have a completely internal slot stlye dock for it on the Mac...

I like that idea... Apple is certainly more than just Macs now. So offering something that came with a special edition iPod would be cool.

AUBPsych

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Alabama
Here's an idea: how about I get a free spec'd out MacBook Pro for the 30th Anniversary? After all, my 20th birthday is on the 30th Anniversary of the Apple :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
An iMac 30" would be great.. Fantastic even...

But realistically I imagine all .mac users will receive a $30 voucher for apple store provided they spend over $300...

Somthing that truly is a token gesture and would'nt cost them very much as most .mac owners who recieve it wont bother using it...

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Imagine the possibilities

The anniversary edition should be an opportunity to experiment and innovate - to take some chances that they normally can't afford to make. I'd like something that offered some mix from this list:

* Use of amorphous alloys for the case (Liquidmetal(R) or similar)
* Touchscreen, Apple inkwell technology
* UWB
* Some of the cool technology suggested for the concept Sun All-In-One card - such as E-Ink, Gel battery packs

I'm sure there is more cool tech. out there that Apple hasn't used in their products which might be good candidates as components for a 30th Anniversary machine.

One final thought - Apple had a niche market when they made the 20th Anniversary machine - for an even smaller niche. It would be nice if the 30th Anniversary machine appealed to a wider audience and sold in greater numbers.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Xerox PARC considered touch screens for their alto's, they decided a mouse was much better, as it didn't involve your hands hanging in the air all the time.;) As low tech as a mouse may seem, it was picked for usablities issues.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
mdavey said:
One final thought - Apple had a niche market when they made the 20th Anniversary machine - for an even smaller niche. It would be nice if the 30th Anniversary machine appealed to a wider audience and sold in greater numbers.

I disagree - it should be a unique, unusual machine that is certainly not for everybody. Something, like the TAM, that is instantly recognizable.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Lord Blackadder said:
it should be a unique, unusual machine... Something, like the TAM, that is instantly recognizable.

I agree with this part and I'll reitterate that it should be highly innovative and risky (ballsy).

However, it would be a shame if only a dozen of them sell. I'd prefer something that makes a bold statement "we can innovate AND appeal to more than a niche market AT THE SAME TIME".

It should appeal to a similar market percentile that own a plasma screen or have a Bang & Oulfson or Bose Hi-Fi system or a kitchen with granite worktops. Not just über-geeks and rich kids .

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The Apple ]|[

HD green screen graphics
5 1/4" floppy drive
3 1/2" floppy drive
CD-R/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
BD-R/DVD±R/W SuperDrive

A copy of every Mac OS ever released.

Installed by Steve himself whilst Phil wears a jester outfit and does Bill Gates impressions.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
There won't be a new machine

OS 10.4.5 will come out. the only improvement will change the "Intel Core Duo" to the correct term which is "PowerPC 2.2Ghz G5"

April fools suckers!

and you thought Intel was really going to make us chips.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Apple is going to announce that the whole company was a 30 year long april fools joke, and that they are permanently closing for business.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Maybe those Plasma TV/Macs we've been hearing about are going to be the 30th Anniversary Mac?

It would make sense, as there currently is not ANYTHING on the market that would compare, it would be all-in-one, and it would be unique.

And, expensive...

BearRanger

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Deep in the Woods
30th Anniversary Mac

A three box set:

1) A Mac Mini-like box that runs an Intel Viiv enabled chip that functions as a Mac+DVR. This version of the Mini is completely wireless--including a wireless video connction to...

2) A 30" Cinema HD display with optional desktop and wall mounts

3) A combination iPod PDA with Newton-like features, that fits into a built in iPod dock interface in the Mac Mini device. This device is flash memory based and has no moving parts.

Might as well "Dream Different" too.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
I've got a golden ticket!

Five golden tickets will be concealed in the packaging of five macs. The winners will be brought to Cupertino, California on April 1, 2006, where they will enter the factory...

*Steve Jobs appears at the entrance to Apple Headquarters with a top hat and a cane.*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.