Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone 6 could feature Sony's Exmor IMX220 camera sensor, according to a post on Chinese Sony enthusiast forum Digi-Wo (Google Translate, via G for Games). The Exmor IMX220 features a 13-megapixel, 1/2.3'' sensor and can record videos in 1080p. The sensor would also be a sizable improvement over the camera currently in the iPhone 5s, which uses an 8-megapixel, 1/3.2'' sensor.

sonyexmor_imx220s.jpg
Sony's Exmor IMX220 camera sensor (via Alibaba)​
Past rumors have suggested that the iPhone 6 will retain the same 8-megapixel sensor found in the iPhone 5s, with Apple instead choosing to offer improved image stabilization for more clear photos. A report last month also noted that an optical image stabilization system will be exclusively featured in the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6, while the smaller 4.7-inch version utilizes an improved lens module.

Notably however, the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPhone 5s have used incremental versions of Sony's IMX145 sensor, as Apple could choose implement a new sensor from the company for the iPhone 6. Sony is also expected to use a 20-megapixel version of the IMX220 in its Sony Xperia Z3 flagship device that is slated to ship later this year.

While Digi-Wo does not have a track record with Apple-related rumors, the website has offered accurate information on past Sony products before their release, and recently offered leaked photos of the Xperia Z3.

Apple's iPhone 6 is expected to be announced this fall at a special media event. The device is expected to come in two sizes of 4.7 and 5.5-inches, although it is not known if the larger sized iPhone 6 will ship alongside the smaller version. In addition to an improved camera, the iPhone 6 will feature a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and Apple's new iOS 8 mobile operating system.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Said to Feature Sony's 13-Megapixel Exmor IMX220 Camera Sensor

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice, hopefully the sensor is big enough to work well in lower light situations. Pixels matter less then sensor size.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
The second best news about the phone (bigger screen being the first) pity about the battery life rumours but hey, they are just rumours.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
This is exactly what i don't want to happen. I want the best iPhone 6. But I don't want 5.5". if the 5.5" is gonna be their feature packed, flagship model I am going to be really pissed. And I don't care about MP's

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Don't worry people. In 2 days the rumor will change from 13mp down to 10mp or 8mp. Watch and see.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
This is exactly what i don't want to happen. I want the best iPhone 6. But I don't want 5.5". if the 5.5" is gonna be their feature packed, flagship model I am going to be really pissed. And I don't care about MP's

5.5" IS the best iPhone. Can't wait for it.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I tried sony z1, z1compact, and ultra. The photo results noise and it's really bad. Why the praise for sony's camera everywhere? I dont get it.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
All of these leaks just make me even more excited if that's possible.

On a different note it's kinda ironic that Sony makes great camera for iphone but the cameras on their phones are terrible. :eek:

----------

I tried sony z1, z1compact, and ultra. The photo results noise and it's really bad. Why the praise for sony's camera everywhere? I dont get it.

They seem to make good quality cameras. It's just that their software doesn't take advantage of the hardware. But again that's the same old story.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
13 Megapixels are plenty. More important is low light performance and the auto focus system IMHO.

8 Megapixels is plenty. They should focus exclusively in sensor size, auto focus and low light performance.

Leave the "MOAR MEGAPIXELS" to the ignorant crowd, that usually buys the galaxy S5 anyway because even if they use 13, it is smaller than 16, so the Galaxy S5 camera will still be 0,25x better. lol

Seriously, we must let tech evolve more and more, but for now there are more important things on cameras that are way behind. The 8 MP camera in the 5s blows almost every single camera (besides the Lumia 1020, in most conditions) out of the water. Be it Samsung, or Sony (witch is particularly hilarious, since sony makes the hardware of the camera. They must really suck at software processing).

----------

Because they have by far the best cameras, but the software used sucks (as usual), so pictures are worse than they should be.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I think the most interesting part here is the 1080p video, considering Macs still have 720p. Hopefully the Macs will be getting nicer cameras as well.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Nice, hopefully the sensor is big enough to work well in lower light situations. Pixels matter less then sensor size.

In conjunction with aperture. I think some photographers call it "effective aperture", it basically sizes things up in "f" value compared to FF aperture.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
So in other words, worse than the S5 camera. Less MP, no 4K recording....they may as well just stay with the tried and true 8MP they've been using for centuries then.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
So in other words, worse than the S5 camera. Less MP, no 4K recording....they may as well just stay with the tried and true 8MP they've been using for centuries then.

In other words, it will not be chasing megapixel counts but will be the most optimised 13MP camera.

Honestly, it's 2014 and there are people who still think more is better :rolleyes:

And I'm sure that 4k recording is a must have and is used by everyone who has a samsung plasticky s5. :cool:

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
In other words, it will not be chasing megapixel counts but will be the most optimised 13MP camera.

Honestly, it's 2014 and there are people who still think more is better :rolleyes:

And I'm sure that 4k recording is a must have and is used by everyone who has a samsung plasticky s5. :cool:

More is never better.

People keep asking for more battery capacity. Nope, nobody wants a thicker phone, they want Apple to continue driving the hardware and software experience to deliver the incredible battery performance you only get in an iPhone.

More RAM? Not needed. Again Apple's control of the hardware and software experience means they can maximise performance, efficiency and experience like no other company in the entire world.

More megapixels? Haha. I think competing platforms prove the higher pixel count makes no difference they still can't go against the iPhone and win in terms of raw image quality.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Because Sony is probably going to sell a million of their phone and 200 million of the camera sensors in the iPhone. They will make a small profit on the camera. But they might lose money on the smartphone after development costs.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
More is never better.

People keep asking for more battery capacity. Nope, nobody wants a thicker phone, they want Apple to continue driving the hardware and software experience to deliver the incredible battery performance you only get in an iPhone.

More RAM? Not needed. Again Apple's control of the hardware and software experience means they can maximise performance, efficiency and experience like no other company in the entire world.

More megapixels? Haha. I think competing platforms prove the higher pixel count makes no difference they still can't go against the iPhone and win in terms of raw image quality.

Completely disagree with point one. Take a thicker phone with better battery than a slim phone with crap battery any day of the week and the iPhone does not have 'incredible' battery performance, no where near. This is a fact proved by many sources and through my own testing on various Android handsets. Agree on the other two points.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

this ^ and also I hope they don't start putting too much choice into what model to buy. If they do that it'll feel like all the other brands where the buying experience is spoiled by too many decisions. Just make the best iPhone you'd use yourself apple and sell it me. I don't want to choose between Johnnys iPhone, Phills iPhone, Craigs iPhone, Tims iPhone all because they couldn't agree on making a single design or they bowed to the money grabbing *****s share people who thought more choice equals more return. Thanks :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.