Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I feel that DP4/Public Beta is stable enough for me to use it as my daily driver on my main partition. I have a few questions, but here is my setup right now: Main Partition has OS X 10.9 and I have a small, 40Gb partition that I am using just to try out Yosemite.

1. First off, any recommendations/warnings for switching to my daily driver? I use Yosemite almost every day as it is now, it's just getting annoying not having all my programs installed.

2. I have TM back ups for my main partition; if something goes wrong, can I restore back to 10.9? (I want to use TM to continue backing up while i'm on 10.10, so it would have 10.9 and 10.10 backups on it)

3. Deleting the test partition: would you recommend doing from the disk utility (while booting up, not sure for the proper term) before I switch to using the single, main partition?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
What's the rush? Half the features aren't even in the system yet. Just wait another month and a half and get the stable version when it ships.

It's running great for me, but I guarantee that SOMETHING you want/need will not work. Then you're going to be ticked off. Then you're going to be back here, posting about how bad Apple is, blah, blah, blah. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I decided to do the switch also. In part cause I needed to do an erase and install anyway for some freezing etc.

I had a 100GB test system which I kept figuring I could load Mavericks on it for any apps I found aren't working in Yosemite yet. And I did a clean install and only brought over my documents and the library files I truly needed like my messages archive, email. Since I use iCloud I didn't need to recycle old contact files and such. I kept a full backup of my Mavericks system in case it sucks so bad that I decide to revert everything

So far it hasn't been an issue. other than the four rounds of updates I had to do on my system. I'm still getting all my files over, doing them as needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.