Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
In my attempt to update my iPhone 5 to iOS8 today I came across some issues.

First there wasn't sufficient room on my phone for the upgrade. Simple solution - delete all of my music. I have it set to sync playlists and certain songs from my iTunes, so I thought it would be as easy as installing iOS, plugging my phone back into the computer, and re-syncing my music. That worked - kinda. When I tried doing this it only synced about half my music - tons of songs were missing, and some of the songs that it did sync didn't come with the cover art. Even though I was showing about 600 MB of free space on the iPhone, iTunes was telling me there wasn't enough room to sync all of my music. However, I noticed that I had about 5GB sitting in "Other" on my phone. My solution? I backed up my phone, did a factory restore, and once I got the phone all "set up" again, I restored from my most recent back up. This solved everything. All of my music and album art synced back up, and the 5GB that was sitting in "Other" is back down to 1GB. All of my apps and everything else restored/synced back as I had hoped.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case others were running into similar storage/sync issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.