Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I use both iOS and Android devices. I've been using third party keyboards on Android for a couple of years now. SwiftKey is one of the keyboard I used on Android. When iOS 8 announced that they were allowing third party keyboards and that SwiftKey announced they will have an iOS version out, I was really excited. Tonight I installed iOS 8 on my iPad Mini and SwiftKey.

Boy was I disappointed. SwiftKey for iOS is a shadow of what it is on Android. I was looking forward to a number of features that wasn't present on iOS. First, I use an iPad Mini, so I want a keyboard layout that is split in the middle like what you can do with the standard iOS keyboard. The Android version has it, but not the iOS version. That pretty much sealed its fate for me. The non-split layout is not comfortable for me to type on an iPad Mini.

Other features that I have grown accustomed to on Android wasn't there in the iOS version either. On Android the keyboard shows symbols and numbers on the letter keys. If you long tap on the key, you get the symbol or number. The iOS version doesn't have it. Gesture typing (such as the Swype keyboard) where you drag your finger over the keys to type is also not on the iOS version.

The one feature that did make it to the iOS version is the cloud storage feature. It seemed to sync with my Android keyboard, so it knows my typing style and doesn't have to start from scratch to learn how I type. This feature is just not enough for me to keep using it because I simply cannot type on my iPad Mini without a split layout.

I do have an iPhone 5S, but it is for work only. My work has not given me the go ahead to install iOS 8 due to some compatibility issues. When I get the go ahead to install iOS 8, I will give it a try. I think with the small iPhone 5S, I won't need the split layout. I normally type in landscape on my iPhone.

Perhaps my expectations was too high for a first version of a keyboard on iOS. The Android version of SwiftKey and other keyboards has set a high standard that the iOS version of SwiftKey failed to meet by a large margin. I truly hope that this version is just a stripped down version just so they can make it available on day 1 of the release. Perhaps future versions will have those features I have grown accustomed to on my Android phone.

Even compared to the regular iOS keyboard, SwiftKey just doesn't cut it. I can't help but think that iOS users who have never used Android third party keyboards will also feel disappointed and think that third party keyboards are a crappy feature. I haven't tried any other third party keyboards. If what is among the best Android keyboards disappoint me so much on iOS, I have no confidence that any other iOS third party keyboard available on day 1 is going to impress me. If there is a keyboard that has a split layout for the iPad Mini and long press for symbol/number keys, please let me know what it is. I may check it out.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I felt the same way but Swype keyboard is much better. I would say on par with the Android version. Give it a try, it has all the features I think you're looking for. At least most of them.

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
Gesture typing (such as the Swype keyboard) where you drag your finger over the keys to type is also not on the iOS version.

Yes it is. It didn't work for me at first but I think I disabled and re-enabled it in the settings and it started working.

Purex

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2013
SwiftKey for iOS Disappointing Compared to the Android Version

The swype function of SwiftKey is Available in the iPhone. They didn't put in the iPad due to memory problems.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411013790.471356.jpg

Last edited:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
I felt the same way but Swype keyboard is much better. I would say on par with the Android version. Give it a try, it has all the features I think you're looking for. At least most of them.

I use an iPad Mini and would like to have the split keyboard layout. Can you confirm that there is a split layout in both portrait and landscape orientation for the iPad Mini?

Also, how is the lag on Swype for iOS. I find that on Android, when I put 2 spaces after a period, there is some lag before I can type the next word. It's unusual, but putting 2 spaces after a period causes lag when I use it.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I wasn't a fan of it either. However, I have never been a fan of Swipe, even for Android.

I just love the look and feel of the stock keyboard, and the look and feel of the keyboard alone has a huge impact on my performance while typing.

The suggestive typing seems like a little out of place, but I believe that is just due to it never being on an iOS device before. Also, once I pick up my 6 the extra screen real estate will fix that problem right away.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I find that on Android, when I put 2 spaces after a period, there is some lag before I can type the next word. It's unusual, but putting 2 spaces after a period causes lag when I use it.

Stop putting two spaces after your periods. Seriously, your not on a typewriter and that practice has been discontinued in nearly all typesetting for over 15 years.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I've tried both. The ios version has some bugs to kink out but it's still a good keyboard. It's the first release and it's been out forever on Android

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I use an iPad Mini and would like to have the split keyboard layout. Can you confirm that there is a split layout in both portrait and landscape orientation for the iPad Mini?

Also, how is the lag on Swype for iOS. I find that on Android, when I put 2 spaces after a period, there is some lag before I can type the next word. It's unusual, but putting 2 spaces after a period causes lag when I use it.

Sorry it doesn't have the split keyboard, but I don't see any lag when double spacing.

geeshiet

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
I use both iOS and Android devices. I've been using third party keyboards on Android for a couple of years now. SwiftKey is one of the keyboard I used on Android. When iOS 8 announced that they were allowing third party keyboards and that SwiftKey announced they will have an iOS version out, I was really excited. Tonight I installed iOS 8 on my iPad Mini and SwiftKey.

Boy was I disappointed. SwiftKey for iOS is a shadow of what it is on Android. I was looking forward to a number of features that wasn't present on iOS. First, I use an iPad Mini, so I want a keyboard layout that is split in the middle like what you can do with the standard iOS keyboard. The Android version has it, but not the iOS version. That pretty much sealed its fate for me. The non-split layout is not comfortable for me to type on an iPad Mini.

Other features that I have grown accustomed to on Android wasn't there in the iOS version either. On Android the keyboard shows symbols and numbers on the letter keys. If you long tap on the key, you get the symbol or number. The iOS version doesn't have it. Gesture typing (such as the Swype keyboard) where you drag your finger over the keys to type is also not on the iOS version.

The one feature that did make it to the iOS version is the cloud storage feature. It seemed to sync with my Android keyboard, so it knows my typing style and doesn't have to start from scratch to learn how I type. This feature is just not enough for me to keep using it because I simply cannot type on my iPad Mini without a split layout.

I do have an iPhone 5S, but it is for work only. My work has not given me the go ahead to install iOS 8 due to some compatibility issues. When I get the go ahead to install iOS 8, I will give it a try. I think with the small iPhone 5S, I won't need the split layout. I normally type in landscape on my iPhone.

Perhaps my expectations was too high for a first version of a keyboard on iOS. The Android version of SwiftKey and other keyboards has set a high standard that the iOS version of SwiftKey failed to meet by a large margin. I truly hope that this version is just a stripped down version just so they can make it available on day 1 of the release. Perhaps future versions will have those features I have grown accustomed to on my Android phone.

Even compared to the regular iOS keyboard, SwiftKey just doesn't cut it. I can't help but think that iOS users who have never used Android third party keyboards will also feel disappointed and think that third party keyboards are a crappy feature. I haven't tried any other third party keyboards. If what is among the best Android keyboards disappoint me so much on iOS, I have no confidence that any other iOS third party keyboard available on day 1 is going to impress me. If there is a keyboard that has a split layout for the iPad Mini and long press for symbol/number keys, please let me know what it is. I may check it out.

Of course it's not going to be all that good on the first version. Geez, it's obvious. I just hate it when people rant on something that's clearly obvious. You expect so much it's becoming ridiculous. Just be patient and enjoy what we finally got. Damn..

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I agree that there seems to be some lag issues but my initial reaction was already the predictive text is better than the native keyboard and it will only get better.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
On the 5S, I have experienced no lag at all while typing, swiping, or with predictive text. It's just as fast as on Android.

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I've now tried both SwiftKey and Swype on iPhone 5s
I've used Google Keyboard on Android in the past and REALLY like that.

Swiftkey: Off the bat... it makes some crazy choices for words for me ... seems it doesn't predict intent as well as some others / really unforgiving ... correcting of words is high meaning overall input speed is much slower than it should be on the swipe input.
Don't like the fact that focus on the previous word is lost when complete so suggestions are for next word not corrections/alternatives for previous.
Don't like enter key does a space first and then 2nd press does enter....

Will give it some time to learn and hopefully that'll help - have hooked twitter & facebook accounts to it

Swype: Seems more forgiving and allows for correction of previous word once entered - like that
Dislike the swype key is inconsistent with system keyboard position ... means you have to jump around when switching between Swype & Emoji

Positives also are that Swype appears to be local app only .. no cloud sync so security concious people might prefer.

----------

Overall ... i think the implementations are a little off for both and that Apple weren't quite ready for it ... doesn't feel quite as seamless an experience as it is on Android.

Very happy they're here though finally at least.
Hoping Google jumps on the bandwagon and ports its swipe keyboard as i found that one of the best features of Android and the best balance.

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
At first I liked Swipe better, I could switch keyboard languages by holding the space bar, I could type numbers without going to the number keypad, etc. Until I tried Swiftkey really hard. I am continuously writing in spanish to my family, and in English to my boss and friends, so I have to continuously keep changing languages, which is a huge pain. Moreover when the Emoji gets in the middle of both keyboards. Agghhh!!!:mad:
When I started using Swiftkey, I saw ES EN on the spacebar, and I though that if I hold the spacebar I could switch languages, a-la-swype. No. I couldn't. So I though, where can I switch the language, then. It turned out that if I type in Spanish, it detects spanish. And if I type in English, it detects English!! My God I was blown away!!!:eek:

So, if you only need one language all the time, it might be better to go with Swype, but for multi-language support, I believe Swiftkey is the way to go.

nickernzen

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
I used Swiftkey on an Android phone years ago and liked it a lot. So far it's really good on iOS as well. It learns what you type and really improves the suggestions. It's almost worth it just because it knows my email address now and I can type it with one letter. It will also learn your address and let you enter it with just a few taps on the suggestions once you put the first couple numbers in.

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I'm wondering what you think of Touchpal - free and soon also Path Input Pro (iPhone - 1,99 dollar / iPad 3,99 dollar) which still is an iOS7 app but will soon be a iOS8 keyboard.

I'll give TouchPal a bash since its free .... reluctant to keep paying for keyboards... was hoping the well established big players would have stepped up since they had lots of experience....

EDIT:
Ok ... Really liking TouchPal ... cleaner and numbers on long-press plus emoji in-app .. thanks for the suggestion

Might be my keyboard of choice .... will keep switching to see which i prefer long-term but TouchPal has grabbed me the same way Google's did

Last edited:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Swiftkey: Off the bat... it makes some crazy choices for words for me ... seems it doesn't predict intent as well as some others / really unforgiving ... correcting of words is high meaning overall input speed is much slower than it should be on the swipe input.

It could be that it takes some time to learn your typing style. I've been using it on Android for over a year. I find that it does a good job at correcting/predicting what I type. I use the cloud feature, so it transfers the knowledge it has gained from my Android to iOS. Text prediction and auto correction is not an issue for me when I tried it on iOS.

Don't like the fact that focus on the previous word is lost when complete so suggestions are for next word not corrections/alternatives for previous.

It is not lost. You just have to press the backspace key and it will revert the predictions to the word you just typed. SwiftKey does focus on next word prediction more and displays the next word by default.

In comparison, Swype (on Android) is the opposite. It focuses on the previous word prediction first. If you finish typing a word, it will still show the prediction choices for the word you just typed (or Swyped). If you want to see the next word prediction, you press the space key (or any word ending punctuation mark).

Don't like enter key does a space first and then 2nd press does enter....

SwiftKey does some auto spacing that you cannot turn off. It annoys me because I am just used to typing a space after punctuation marks. I forget sometimes and have to go back and remove the space.

Will give it some time to learn and hopefully that'll help - have hooked twitter & facebook accounts to it

SwiftKey does take time to learn your typing style. It does improve as time goes on. My experience with third party keyboards on Android is that SwiftKey does better at text prediction than the others I've tried (Kii and Swype).

----------

Ok ... Really liking TouchPal ... cleaner and numbers on long-press plus emoji in-app .. thanks for the suggestion

Might be my keyboard of choice .... will keep switching to see which i prefer long-term but TouchPal has grabbed me the same way Google's did

Does TouchPal have a split keyboard layout? That's a feature I'm looking for in a third party keyboard as I use an iPad Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.