Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I'm surprised that so few of the apps in the app store have been updated for the iPhone 6 display. Almost all my third party apps look quite blurry on the new phone compared to my wife's iPhone 5. How long did it take developers to update their apps when the 5 first came out?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
It'll take much longer than the iPhone 5. Two new resolutions, neither of them is a very linear or one-dimensional change. In the next few weeks we'll probably see some apps updated, but it'll take a few months before most are.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It'll take much longer than the iPhone 5. Two new resolutions, neither of them is a very linear or one-dimensional change. In the next few weeks we'll probably see some apps updated, but it'll take a few months before most are.

It depends, when I finally updated my game to support the iPhone5's resolution I did it in a way that it could scale to more or less any resolution. The current version in the store won't because Apple requires the app to have the proper splash screen to get the real screen size but I have an update ready to go that works great on the 6 and 6+....the only hold up is that I'm adding Chinese and French localization and that took a bit longer than expected :(

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I'm surprised that so few of the apps in the app store have been updated for the iPhone 6 display. Almost all my third party apps look quite blurry on the new phone compared to my wife's iPhone 5. How long did it take developers to update their apps when the 5 first came out?

So few? It's the release day of iPhone 6. Developers actually put thought into how to use the display scale efficiently... Also they have two different resolutions and pixel densities (2x, 3x). Not to mention it's easier to develop for the display with actually looking how it looks, so a lot of developers will wait until they get the phone.

distemp

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
So few? It's the release day of iPhone 6. Developers actually put thought into how to use the display scale efficiently... Also they have two different resolutions and pixel densities (2x, 3x). Not to mention it's easier to develop for the display with actually looking how it looks, so a lot of developers will wait until they get the phone.

I believe people are still entitled to feeling disappointed.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I guess that this is one positive thing that I can try not to be too let down that my order was delayed until last next because Verizon couldn't confirm my eligibility even though I paid full price.

patrickbarnes

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
The issue is that the simulator is not 100% true to how the device(s) handle scaling, so most devs need the device in hand to make sure it works.

The bigger issue is the scarcity of the unlocked 6+, which makes it hard to design a UI that feels right for that.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The issue is that the simulator is not 100% true to how the device(s) handle scaling, so most devs need the device in hand to make sure it works.

The bigger issue is the scarcity of the unlocked 6+, which makes it hard to design a UI that feels right for that.

Developers don't need to have an unlocked 6+, any ordinary 6+ of any capacity and carrier will do.

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Instagram has very soft texts.. gives me a headache.. will be using my old Note 2 for IG viewing.. facebook look fuzzy all around..

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I believe people are still entitled to feeling disappointed.

Well, that first part is true, or at least they feel entitled to demand free app updates on the first day of release. Developers were a bit blindsided by the new devices, especially the odd 6+ and its 3x image assets which is causing layout alignment issues, so give them time. They are having to spend time making these updates on their own dime, after all. Also, Apple's review times are averaging about 10 days right now, so there are many apps simply waiting in the queue for Apple to review them.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, the worst of this is Google Voice. It took them over a year to finally update it for iOS 7. Now it's scaling and kind of blurry. I don't think we will ever get another update, because they're pushing that service out anyway.

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
Yeah don't know about you guys but I've especially noticed it on my Instagram app, looks good but you can tell it is nowhere near optimised and as a result slightly blurry.

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I really wish Twitter + Instagram were updated already. Cant believe they didn't have it ready.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
It depends, when I finally updated my game to support the iPhone5's resolution I did it in a way that it could scale to more or less any resolution. The current version in the store won't because Apple requires the app to have the proper splash screen to get the real screen size but I have an update ready to go that works great on the 6 and 6+....the only hold up is that I'm adding Chinese and French localization and that took a bit longer than expected :(

How do programmers handle the zoomed in view? I notice I miss a lot of functions on apples apps when I am zoomed in

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I really wish Twitter + Instagram were updated already. Cant believe they didn't have it ready.

Twitter has been updated, for the iPhone 6 at least. Not sure how it looks on the 6+ but looks great on the 6.

Tumblr, handful of Apple apps (iWork and iLife), and CNN are the apps I know that are iPhone 6 enhanced/updated.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, the worst of this is Google Voice. It took them over a year to finally update it for iOS 7. Now it's scaling and kind of blurry. I don't think we will ever get another update, because they're pushing that service out anyway.

There's a Google Voice app? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.