Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I've got it to work the other way around [PC>Mac]... But I want to control my XP [Home] PC using my powerbook...

I tried chicken of the VLC, but I think its Mac>Mac only. It wouldn't find my PC.

Anyone got any ideas? :confused: I tried searching, and the help guides, but those were for controlling another Mac.

Thanks.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I should have said this in my original post, but I did install VNC on my PC AND my Mac, thats how I could control my Mac. But it seems to not want to work the other way.

And Chicken, the Mac VNC viewer won't see my PC, but my PC's VNC viewer will see my Mac.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
VNC the protocol (it's guess it's not really a protocol, but I think you know what I mean) is OS independent. If you configure correctly configure VNC on your PC, it should be accessible via Chicken of the VNC. Sorry that my response is not very helpful, but without knowing exactly how you set it up, it's tough to help you.

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
You need to start the server on the PC.

VNC works on almost every platform. I use it daily to connect to my XP machine in the basement, as well as my iMac in the basement.

(PowerBook + WiFi = !rocks!)

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
OK, I finally got it to work. It took a bit of investigation, but it seems Windows Security Center™ may have been the culprit. :eek: :eek:

VLC server and remote desktops had to be set as exceptions

Everything is cool now :cool:

Though I wish Chicken of the VLC was faster, even with refresh settings set to max (The regular VLC viewer on the PC uses all aveliable bandwidth, while chicken tries to keep traffic low)

Thanks

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
While we are on the topic of Microsoft's RDC, does anyone know why it will not allow me to connect to any Windows machines in our house other than my gaming rig? I have all the IP addresses correct. The computer names are also correct. And yes, I have the remote desktop control box checked on all machines.

FongMan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2006
I'm a bit of a noob here but you're saying if i have a wireless network in my home that has my MBP, my dad's XP laptop connected wirelessly and my dell connected straight to my router i can control them all from my mac? By using VNC?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
FongMan said:
I'm a bit of a noob here but you're saying if i have a wireless network in my home that has my MBP, my dad's XP laptop connected wirelessly and my dell connected straight to my router i can control them all from my mac? By using VNC?

If they are on the same network...yes. Albeit, VNC won't set any speed records, but for quick tasks it can be very handy.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Timbuktu is far far faster than VNC, although it isn't free or even particularly cheap. (I keep expecting Netopia to drop price on it with VNC eroding the product's marketshare).

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
VNC (not VLC, that's an entirely different application) is very slow for connecting to a PC. I use it only for connecting to my Linux boxes, where I'm running wmaker, which has a much smaller communication overhead.

Windows RDC is better, since you can set the bandwidth and screen parameters. But the server part is available only with XP Pro (the client is available for Macs on Microsoft's website), and I've had difficulties consistently maintaining a connection to my laptop.

In the end, I gave up on both VNC and RDC for connecting to my Windows laptop and just keep it open on the desk beside me.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
plinden said:
Windows RDC is better, since you can set the bandwidth and screen parameters. But the server part is available only with XP Pro (the client is available for Macs on Microsoft's website), and I've had difficulties consistently maintaining a connection to my laptop.

I used RDC to connect my powerbook to a remote XP server for nearly a year, and I was AMAZED how fast it was. Unfortunately I didn't set up the XP server, so I can't provide any advice about that, but I know that it CAN be a speedy experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.