Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
***Edited with question***

Those who have no issues with ios 8.0.2, are you getting the similar download speeds on Cellular LTE as ios 7.1.2 or 8.0?

It seems that after I had upgraded my 5s to 8.0.2, the LTE network seems slower.

With 5 bars & LTE connection, I would consistently get < 10 Mbps download. I used to recall getting 20 - 50 Mbps download prior to ios 8. I tested download speeds with different speed test apps & tried different locations. I am on Rogers in Canada.

I have already wiped the phone by resetting all settings and contents. I setup phone as new and did not restore from icloud backup. So my phone has no old settings and is basically running as new.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Last edited:

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Same. I used to consistently get 50-60 on AT&T Boston. Now I get lower than 15. The difference is not always very noticeable but it's still kind of lame that this happened.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
To those who say they have no issues with ios 8.0.2, have you done a speedtest with your LTE connection?

coolio93

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Houston, TX
Iphone 6 with 8.0.2 on tmobile lte in houston

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 93

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Seeing my normal LTE speeds here on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.0.2.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 92

htnt7919

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Does anyone here have test the speed of t-mobile LTE on iPhone 6 plus in Bay Area ? Even though the coverage in my area is excellent , i never have full bar of LTE, it hovering between 2 - 3 bar out of 5. My speed on LTE is 21 mbps up and 6 mbps down.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Does anyone here have test the speed of t-mobile LTE on iPhone 6 plus in Bay Area ? Even though the coverage in my area is excellent , i never have full bar of LTE, it hovering between 2 - 3 bar out of 5. My speed on LTE is 21 mbps up and 6 mbps down.

First off, the signal bars/dots refer to the VOICE network strength. Since T-Mobile does not use LTE for voice, those signal indicators don't say anything about the strength of your LTE coverage.

At work, I have "four dots" with LTE coverage, and my speed test just showed 22 Mbps up/27 Mbps down with 33 ms latency. This is actually an increase from a couple of weeks ago when I tested 20/20/55 from the same location.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
First off, the signal bars/dots refer to the VOICE network strength. Since T-Mobile does not use LTE for voice, those signal indicators don't say anything about the strength of your LTE coverage

..what.? that is not correct, voice & data are hand in hand, if u only have voice server then thats signal for voice, if u only have data like rogers lte is still only data no voice over lte, then its data. if u have both 3g/4g/vtlte then its both..

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
With 5 bars & LTE connection, I would consistently get < 10 Mbps download. I used to recall getting 20 - 50 Mbps download prior to ios 8. I tested download speeds with different speed test apps & tried different locations. I am on Rogers in Canada.

If you're using the Ookla app, have you tried rerunning the tests from the SAME location? (When displaying your prior results, you can call up a map with the location) Within my own neighborhood, the data speed can vary tenfold within a quarter mile of my house.

----------

..what.? that is not correct, voice & data are hand in hand, if u only have voice server then thats signal for voice, if u only have data like rogers lte is still only data no voice over lte, then its data. if u have both 3g/4g/vtlte then its both..

My understanding is that the signal indicator on the iPhone shows the strength of the network that the voice service is using. If the data network is LTE, then the signal indicator has nothing to do with data coverage. If the data network is "4G" or "3G" or "E" then the signal indicator is relevant to both the voice and data service, since they're both shared.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
IMy understanding is that the signal indicator on the iPhone shows the strength of the network that the voice service is using. If the data network is LTE, then the signal indicator has nothing to do with data coverage. If the data network is "4G" or "3G" or "E" then the signal indicator is relevant to both the voice and data service, since they're both shared.

right on my bed in the basement i have 3 dots of 3g, & 1 dot of weak lte, playing with the enable lte toggle shows my signal drop to 1 dot when i turn on lte & back to 3 when it goes on 3g, a call also does the same as rogers doesnt have volte yet

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
right on my bed in the basement i have 3 dots of 3g, & 1 dot of weak lte, playing with the enable lte toggle shows my signal drop to 1 dot when i turn on lte & back to 3 when it goes on 3g, a call also does the same as rogers doesnt have volte yet

You might be right! I just tried it and the LTE toggling did flip my signal from four dots to five dots. I always thought this was carrier specific, and the signal info was something I picked up from a T-Mobile board.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks to all who posted their speedtest results. It looks like some have no issues and other do, regardless of device platform on ios 8.0.2.

Not sure with such inconsistency whether Apple would bother troubleshooting these issues and putting the fix in future updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.