Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Also to linux! They're working so hard, and I can understand why Civ BE dropped behind a bit. :)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Nice! That's pretty much me on Skyrim (700), Borderlands (300) and Diablo 3 (200) are my runners up.

As you can infer from my "location", I'm a big fan of the Siren, got a maxed out Siren with the Terramorphous class mod. Playing Siren on the first Borderlands, I was pretty disappointed at first with 2's Phaselock, but at the high levels, it kicks the crap out of Phasewalk.

With that many hours, you've undoubtedly played through all classes. Who's your favorite? Who are you looking forward to most in the Pre-Sequel? I'm leaning toward Athena or Wilhelm.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Nice! That's pretty much me on Skyrim (700), Borderlands (300) and Diablo 3 (200) are my runners up.

As you can infer from my "location", I'm a big fan of the Siren, got a maxed out Siren with the Terramorphous class mod. Playing Siren on the first Borderlands, I was pretty disappointed at first with 2's Phaselock, but at the high levels, it kicks the crap out of Phasewalk.

With that many hours, you've undoubtedly played through all classes. Who's your favorite? Who are you looking forward to most in the Pre-Sequel? I'm leaning toward Athena or Wilhelm.

Probably Wilhelm or ClapTrap. At least at first. My siren is OP 8 and I love how much solo damage she can do with elemental damage, the legendary siren mod, the op 8 bee, and my sandhawk! That and her phaselock is set to bounce enemy to enemy, which really comes in handy on digistruct peak!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I just started playing Borderlands 2 and I need some explaination.

I just can't get my brain wrap around it. I am where the little robot gets his eyes back by a cowboy looking guy.

Can some one explain to me what this game is? Is it like an FPS/MMORPG with a lot of grinding?

There seems to be an infinite amount of supplies which I am not sure what they are I just keep picking them up. I only understood the red bars are health.

The menus seem too complex. I do not want to quit on this game too early.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I just started playing Borderlands 2 and I need some explaination.

I just can't get my brain wrap around it. I am where the little robot gets his eyes back by a cowboy looking guy.

Can some one explain to me what this game is? Is it like an FPS/MMORPG with a lot of grinding?

There seems to be an infinite amount of supplies which I am not sure what they are I just keep picking them up. I only understood the red bars are health.

The menus seem too complex. I do not want to quit on this game too early.

Well, yes, it's an FPS with RPG features here and there. You do collect loot from the fallen enemies that improves your gear (or does not, so you have to sell it). You also gain XP so you can improve your character's skills. And you keep killing enemies and bosses, advancing the story line. Also, the weapons you collect should match your skills and attributes to be more efficient (something that seems you'll need more and more as you advance through the game). It is definitely more complex than the most FPS out there but you can also get some info about character builds/weapons etc. on various guides on the internet.

Having said all that, to be honest, I'm not crazy about this game as well.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Think of Borderlands this way: If Diablo were a first-person shooter.

That being said, and despite my having put several hundred hours into Diablo II, I just can not get into Borderlands or the second game. Co-op was kind of fun for a while, but I got bored of it after about 6 hours. I tried taking on the sequel solo for a bit, but when the first boss kept kicking my you-know-what, I said screw it. Didn't help that the game ran like garbage on OS X.

It's stuff like this that really makes me wish you could remove games from your Steam library all together.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Think of Borderlands this way: If Diablo were a first-person shooter.

That being said, and despite my having put several hundred hours into Diablo II, I just can not get into Borderlands or the second game. Co-op was kind of fun for a while, but I got bored of it after about 6 hours. I tried taking on the sequel solo for a bit, but when the first boss kept kicking my you-know-what, I said screw it. Didn't help that the game ran like garbage on OS X.

It's stuff like this that really makes me wish you could remove games from your Steam library all together.

How old is your Mac? Mine is a 2012 iMac with 8GB RAM 2.9GHz i5 and the nVidia 512 MB GPU. Borderlands runs smooth as silk for me. I can get it to run close to 60 fps if I'm feeling competitive online.

On max settings at full res, it's not smooth enough for online play, I'll grant that, but it's not OSX's fault. Aspyr made a phenomenal port here. It's my machine's limitations.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Must be a system configuration problem, or your expectation of how the game "should" perform.

Or the fact that your frame of reference is a computer with a CPU and GPU that are one generation ahead of mine. I expect the game to perform as well as other Unreal Engine 3 games. Bioshock Infinite runs fine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution runs fine, Arkham Asylum runs fine. Borderlands 2 is sluggish, even at lower resolution and detail settings.

And I'm not the only one who had such issues with the game on AMD GPU hardware.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Or the fact that your frame of reference is a computer with a CPU and GPU that are one generation ahead of mine. I expect the game to perform as well as other Unreal Engine 3 games. Bioshock Infinite runs fine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution runs fine, Arkham Asylum runs fine. Borderlands 2 is sluggish, even at lower resolution and detail settings.

And I'm not the only one who had such issues with the game on AMD GPU hardware.

Yeah....something is not right Saturnotaku. BL2 should be butter for you. BioShock Infinite is waaaay more taxing than BL2. In fact, I'd say BL2 runs as good or better on the most configs than any game in our lineup. Maybe only COD4 is better (but that title is quite old at this point).

Maybe give our support team a shout? We could take one of your save files along with your system info and dig in a bit for you.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Yeah....something is not right Saturnotaku. BL2 should be butter for you. BioShock Infinite is waaaay more taxing than BL2. In fact, I'd say BL2 runs as good or better on the most configs than any game in our lineup. Maybe only COD4 is better (but that title is quite old at this point).

Maybe give our support team a shout? We could take one of your save files along with your system info and dig in a bit for you.

I appreciate you reaching out, but it would be a waste of everyone's time since I don't have any intention of playing the game again. Not because of the performance issues, mind you, but because I don't like the gameplay. Best spend your resources working on new ports and helping out people who really need it. :)

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Fair enough!

Thanks to everyone for the props. Releasing this simultaneously with the PC was a VERY big deal for us.

I cant wait for you all to get your hands on it. The low gravity mechanic is incredibly fun and of course there are tons of goodies to find along the way ;)

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Pre-ordered mine a few days ago, along with the season pass. Was very happy to see the simultaneous release with the PC version. I had previously played on Xbox 360 with some friends, so am looking forward to the extra graphical capabilities on the computer platform.

CorSec

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
mavericks

I have mountain lion and i would like to keep it that way till Yosemite comes out...but...BD:pre-Seq needs Mavericks 1.9.5, will it affect me? D:And today PC users can pre-load the game :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
I have mountain lion and i would like to keep it that way till Yosemite comes out...but...BD:pre-Seq needs Mavericks 1.9.5, will it affect me? D:And today PC users can pre-load the game :)

You must have 10.9.5 to run the Presequel.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
why though? :( i'm trying to avoid that at all costs lol

Mavericks has an improved OpenGL stack, so for games it's much better. Yosemite does offer improvements in games that Use OpenGL 4.

In Hitman Absolution my minimum framerate more than doubled on 10.10.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Mavericks has an improved OpenGL stack, so for games it's much better. Yosemite does offer improvements in games that Use OpenGL 4.

In Hitman Absolution my minimum framerate more than doubled on 10.10.

That's the good news I want to hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.