Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
After moving to iTunes 12 I can not access my media from iTunes. I have 3 Apple tvs in the house and they all have the same issue.
I did a restore to the ATV and still no luck. I can see iTunes 11 on my Mac mini but it doesn't hold my media.

Any thoughts?

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Had the same problems, it worked eventually, a few restarts of both itunes and the Apple TVs switched between wireless and cabled networking, then all of a sudden it started working.

Jim X

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
iTunes 12, ATV, & Yosemite

I have been running the Yosemite beta since its first public release. Yosemite, ATV, & iTunes all played nice together until the 9/11 iTunes update to iTunes 12. Since then, I have only been able to play music & watch purchased TV shows on my Apple TV. Not only can I not watch movies & "home videos" --(i.e., Movies)--those categories do not even appear on my ATV >Computer >Library menu. Just Music, TV Shows, & Photos. Again, everything worked firm w the Yosemite beta UNTIL the iTunes update. Subsequent Yosemite PBs & iTunes updates have not fixed this. It has been brought to the attention of Apple via the Feedback Assistant, but no response of any kind or acknowledgment of the issue. Any ideas?

Jim X

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
iTunes update cured my problems

Yesterday's iTunes update (12.0.1.26) cured all of my issues; I can finally watch movies (home videos) on my 2nd generation ATV again.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Yosemite and the latest iTunes have killed home sharing, ATV, and the Remote App for me.

If I restart itunes on the server iMac, all is good for a short while. As soon as the iMac sleeps, home sharing dies again. Just waking the mac doesn't fix it. I need to restart iTunes, or sign out of and back in to home sharing.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I am still having massive issues, in fact it just doesn't work, i have upgraded everything and still nothing, i have restored one of the apple tv's and still nothing. Not sure what is left to try :(

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I was having issues with iTunes 11.4 and it corrupting my iTunes Library on my NAS, upgrading to iTunes 12 fixed them, so I find this strange.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I have fixed the issue. I went into system pref - sharing - I then changed the name of my computer and boom - up and running.

I found a few people had the same problem and this fixed it.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I have fixed the issue. I went into system pref - sharing - I then changed the name of my computer and boom - up and running.

I found a few people had the same problem and this fixed it.

Also make sure your iTunes media folder is in the correct location. Sometimes when I reboot my router the Airport Extreme craps out and disconnects itself and I lose connect with my NAS.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
From Apple discussion website:

Oct 19, 2014 4:53 AM
Re: ATV 3 Version 7.0 Home Sharing not woking with Yosemite and iTunes 12
in response to NiccoStar86 | This solved my question
There is an easier way to resolve this which worked for me after many weeks of trying (since developer preview version 7). On your Mac go into system preferences, select sharing and change the Computer Name. That's all you need to do, then your Library will appear on tour Apple TV

nick2421

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
A combination of changing either the name of the MAC or the library appears to kick in the home sharing, but thats a buggy type fix at best. I need to do it all the time now when I use the apple tv after it goes to sleep. Unfortunately, this is not passing the family easy use factor.

Debating or not to re-install mavericks as this is starting to become annoying and home sharing was really stable in mavericks.

:(

nick2421

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Well. The name changing didn't really help. Unable to find homesharing again. Worked for a bit, then the issue came back.

I believe the real issue has something to do with my iMac sleeping and not waking up when the apple tv attempts to connect to my iTunes library via homesharing.
My energy saver (wake for network access) is ticked, but doesn't appear to be working.

I have changed my energy saver settings for the computer sleep, from 45 minutes to Never.
My display sleep I left alone which is set to 10 minutes.

So far, appears to be ok. 2 days going strong at the moment.
I might just leave Yosemite with this change in the energy saver settings until the next patches are released and then try again.

Anyone else having luck setting the computer sleep to never?

The latest.

ricperry1

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
iTunes Home Sharing and Share My Library

I was confused at first by the fact there is an "iTunes Home Sharing" menu item and separately a "Share my Library" dialog in Preferences.

Share my Library just advertises your library on your LAN to any device on the same network. Then each device can see/play anything that isn't protected with DRM, or anything it's authorized to play.

With iTunes Home Sharing, you actually have to log in with the same iTunes Account on the client device. Then the magic of apple's services connects the devices and allows you access to the content. Since you are logged in with the same iTunes account, this method is seemingly preferred and will play everything the iTunes library on the server device.

My mistake was thinking the "Share My Library" preferences pane was the proper place to enable Home Sharing. When I carefully inspected all of the iTunes menu items and options, I eventually found the Home Sharing menu item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.