Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Apple Begins Shipping MacBook Pro
Tuesday February 14, 8:30 am ET
MacBook Pro Features Faster Intel Core Duo Processors Up to 2.16 GHz

CUPERTINO, Calif., Feb. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® this week will begin shipping the new 15-inch MacBook(TM) Pro notebook computer featuring the new Intel Core Duo processor which delivers up to four times the performance of the PowerBook® G4*, a built-in iSight(TM) video camera for video conferencing on-the-go and the breakthrough Front Row media experience with Apple Remote. All models of the new MacBook Pro will ship with faster Intel Core Duo processors than previously announced, delivering even greater performance at no additional cost. The $2,499 model now includes a 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from the previously announced 1.83 GHz, and will begin shipping this week. The $1,999 model now includes a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from the previously announced 1.67 GHz, and will begin shipping next week. In addition, customers may now upgrade to a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor as a build-to-order option on the Apple Online Store.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060214/sftu124.html?.v=32

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Quite gob smacked by this. Bit of a kick in the teeth to all those who pre-ordered...unless they will actually be getting these new models? :confused:

rehlers

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Phoenix, AZ - USA
I will be calling apple shortly to find out if my 1.83 order will automatically be upgraded to 2.0Ghz. I am going to be really annoyed if I only receive the 1.83Ghz laptop.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
$300... that's a lot of money to upgrade from 2GHZ to 2.16GHZ, don't you guys think? For that amount of money, I'm pretty sure I'd hold off anyways.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
The important thing here is this

All models of the new MacBook Pro will ship with faster Intel Core Duo processors than previously announced, delivering even greater performance at no additional cost. The $2,499 model now includes a 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, up from the previously announced 1.83 GHz, and will begin shipping this week.

Those of us who ordered the 1.83 will be getting 2.0 Ghz and it will start shipping tomorrow.

The 300.00 upgrade for 160 mhz isn't worth it in my opinion and I'm assuming it would increase your wait time at this point if you change your order

arock

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
bpd115 said:
The 300.00 upgrade for 160 mhz isn't worth it in my opinion and I'm assuming it would increase your wait time at this point if you change your order
Perhaps. However, you can go place an order for the 2.16GHz right now and it will ship in 1-3 business days. The 1.83 and 2.0 machines have the 3-4 week lead time.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
arock said:
Perhaps. However, you can go place an order for the 2.16GHz right now and it will ship in 1-3 business days. The 1.83 and 2.0 machines have the 3-4 week lead time.

Interesting....

I had to cringe when I went for the 1.83 (now 2.0) and clicked the submit button though....I'll put my 300.00 towards some ram or something :p

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I've called them twice and been notified that my 1.83Ghz order is showing a free upgrade to 2.0Ghz, and that the shipping time on all Macbooks has been delayed 3-4 weeks to compensate for this.

Dr. J

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2006
Well now I am going to have to order one. I was going to wait until they put the faster chips in , and they go and do this. Atleast they are just as fast as all of the competition now, with the huge plus of Osx. Good job APPLE

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Zorn said:
I've called them twice and been notified that my 1.83Ghz order is showing a free upgrade to 2.0Ghz, and that the shipping time on all Macbooks has been delayed 3-4 weeks to compensate for this.

Uh.... that would mean that either Customer Service, or Apple's PR team are lying about shipping. Apple's PR is saying the 2.0Ghz models are shipping this week... and the 1.83Ghz models are shipping next week.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Krevnik said:
Uh.... that would mean that either Customer Service, or Apple's PR team are lying about shipping. Apple's PR is saying the 2.0Ghz models are shipping this week... and the 1.83Ghz models are shipping next week.

My Estimated ship time (ordered 1.83 on Jan 10th 8 am pst, 11 am est) was On or Before Feb 15th.

Now it's On or Before Feb 28th.

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
My order was bumped to 2/28 from 2/15 as well. I ordered a standard 1.83 GHz machine on 1/11.

PR people promsing things that engineering or manufacturing can't deliver is nothing new. As long as they ship one this week to Paul Otellini they were telling the truth. :rolleyes:

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
Alright, now I was pushed back to the 28th, but being as spastic as I am, I re-read the email Apple sent me.

If you decide you'd like to make a change to your upgraded MacBook Pro order,
we're happy to help. You may reach us blah blah blah. Some change requests may extend your shipment
date slightly. If we do not hear from you by February 18th, we will ship the
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo

Does that last sentence mean that it will ship the 18th unless they hear from me, in which case it will ship the 28th? That's what it sounds like. What do you guys think?

We could be getting them sooner than we all thought?

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Don't read too much into it. This paragraph is pretty clear, IMHO:

Better still, prior to shipment we've improved the entire MacBook Pro family with configurations starting at 1.83Ghz up to 2.16GHz. We have upgraded your MacBook Pro from a 1.83GHz processor to a 2.0GHz processor at no additional cost! We anticipate shipping your upgraded order by February 28, 2006..

With that said, I don't have any trouble believing that people who ordered standard configuration systems might see them much sooner than the 28th, but that's just completely unfounded speculation and rampant guesswork on my part. YMMV, batteries not included.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
rainmanbk said:
Alright, now I was pushed back to the 28th, but being as spastic as I am, I re-read the email Apple sent me.

Does that last sentence mean that it will ship the 18th unless they hear from me, in which case it will ship the 28th? That's what it sounds like. What do you guys think?

We could be getting them sooner than we all thought?

I find it odd, that I'm one of the only ones, who have mentioned that they have a revised ship date of 2/23, while everyone else even others who've ordered on the 10th of January have 2/28.

I ordered on 1/10 at 11:11am PST

I called Apple and asked him what the 18th date meant in that e-mail and he said it will ship anytime between the 18th and 23rd the latest.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
I guess I was lucky?

I ordered the $2,000 1.67-1.83 GHz model and my shipping date went from February 15th to the 23rd rather than the 28th.

:D I was pissed, but I guess I'm lucky for not getting the 28th.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
berkleeboy210 said:
I called Apple and asked him what the 18th date meant in that e-mail and he said it will ship anytime between the 18th and 23rd the latest.

That actually makes perfect sense. I'm sure with all the orders coming up, shipping is going to be a time consuming process. I'm sure they are shipping as fast as possible but some will ship after others, obviously. I think Apple is trying to tell people information that is as accurate as they can provide.

Just keep checking that Order Status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.