Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
Now that Yosemite is out of Beta I am looking to enable TRIM on my MacBook Pro. I am wanting to know who has successfully enabled TRIM and how you did it, and that means being able to restart the computer and TRIM stayed enabled.

I know of two programs, TRIM Enabler and Chameleon, that enable TRIM. Which do you use and how well is it working?

For the developers of TRIM Enabler and Chameleon, is the latest version ready for the final version of Yosemite?

I know there are other posts on TRIM but many are old and deal with the Betas, needed a new one started for the final version.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I’ve used Trim Enabler in Mavericks, but I’m hesitant to use it in Yosemite, since it has to disable something first. I have to read more about this before I do this though.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I’ve used Trim Enabler in Mavericks, but I’m hesitant to use it in Yosemite, since it has to disable something first. I have to read more about this before I do this though.

Its ok to use Trim enabler with yosemite. Its basically putting the controller for kext into developer mode so it can use unsigned Kexts. The reason it needs this is trim enabler modifies a kext to have trim work making that kext "unsigned". Simply put its just asking for you to allow it to run modified kexts. If you ever want to see what unsigned Kexts are running you can use
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
in terminal and it will show you.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Now that Yosemite is out of Beta I am looking to enable TRIM on my MacBook Pro. I am wanting to know who has successfully enabled TRIM and how you did it, and that means being able to restart the computer and TRIM stayed enabled.

I know of two programs, TRIM Enabler and Chameleon, that enable TRIM. Which do you use and how well is it working?

For the developers of TRIM Enabler and Chameleon, is the latest version ready for the final version of Yosemite?

I know there are other posts on TRIM but many are old and deal with the Betas, needed a new one started for the final version.

Trim Enabler works fine, so do the other regular settings that you need to enable. i.e. NoATime, SMS Sensor Off, Hibernate Off, Sleep Image Off etc etc etc.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Its ok to use Trim enabler with yosemite. Its basically putting the controller for kext into developer mode so it can use unsigned Kexts. The reason it needs this is trim enabler modifies a kext to have trim work making that kext "unsigned". Simply put its just asking for you to allow it to run modified kexts. If you ever want to see what unsigned Kexts are running you can use
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
in terminal and it will show you.

Thanks. However, I suppose Apple can reenable this with updates? I would then run into the same problem as early Yosemite users, no?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks. However, I suppose Apple can reenable this with updates? I would then run into the same problem as early Yosemite users, no?
Trim enabler tells you to reenable if apple does an update that makes it not work. A very very nice feature, it pops up and says you have to re click the enable button and restart. Very convenient

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
also trim enabler didn't work on the first couple Developer previews because they (Cindori) didn't update the software yet. They did very quickly. Remember DPs were so developers could get their software to work before public launch and they did.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Trim enabler tells you to reenable if apple does an update that makes it not work. A very very nice feature, it pops up and says you have to re click the enable button and restart. Very convenient

That was not a concern before Yosemite, but now with this signing requirement, it could prevent your system from booting like in early Yosemite versions that Trim Enabler didn’t support yet. Remember, Trim Enabler can only change this after you’ve installed an updated and rebooted, potentially causing the issue again before the app can apply the fix.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
That was not a concern before Yosemite, but now with this signing requirement, it could prevent your system from booting like in early Yosemite versions that Trim Enabler didn’t support yet. Remember, Trim Enabler can only change this after you’ve installed an updated and rebooted, potentially causing the issue again before the app can apply the fix.

I think you are over thinking this a bit, you're comparing early Developer previews to final product. Trim enabler is from a very good company that knows what they are doing. The reason trim enabler had problems before is because it wasn't made to work with Yosemite yet, now it is.
Bottom line is it works, a lot of people use it (myself included) so install it if you want trim support, if you're that worried about when they do updates then after any update that asks you to reenable check trim enables website. They will say if it doesn't work with an update. Also make sure you autoupdate trim enabler (chances are they will be ahead of the updates)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I think you are over thinking this a bit, you're comparing early Developer previews to final product. Trim enabler is from a very good company that knows what they are doing. The reason trim enabler had problems before is because it wasn't made to work with Yosemite yet, now it is.
Bottom line is it works, a lot of people use it (myself included) so install it if you want trim support, if you're that worried about when they do updates then after any update that asks you to reenable check trim enables website. They will say if it doesn't work with an update. Also make sure you autoupdate trim enabler (chances are they will be ahead of the updates)

I’m not saying that the developer didn’t put good work into it, in fact, I appreciate their honesty in telling us what has been causing the issue.

It’s true that Trim Enabler needed to be updated with Yosemite, but it’s equally true that Yosemite prevented booting when trim was force-enabled without turning off the signing requirement first. That is the reason why now, under Yosemite, you need to restart your Mac and apply the fix first before you should enable trim support.

Suppose Apple changes this again, then a similar situation may occur. Even if Trim Enabler doesn’t need to be updated again, it’s still possible that you can’t boot your Mac until Trim Enabler disabled the signing requirement first before it can re-enable trim support. So far, every OS X update disables the trim support again.

All I’m saying is: be careful with this. There is a reason why Apple put these protections in place and it would be foolish to think that it could not cause any problems down the road. I appreciate the developer’s work, but they also admitted that Apple is working against us here. If you’re not willing to risk booting issues, then you might have to consider not using this fix anymore, which is probably what I will be doing.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Just make sure to use the latest version of the application, so that it doesn't screw up Yosemite's configuration.

mrg1

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Disaster with Chameleon

Right after I installed Yosemite last night, I downloaded the supposedly compatible Chameleon, which has always worked well for me in the past. I turned it on for my new 512MB Crucial MX100, and it took many minutes to "enable" the TRIM ( isn't it just flipping a bit somewhere in the OS? Why would it take any time ? ). It then demanded that I restart the machine, and I could not reboot ! I got the dreaded circle with slash as it tried to boot. Luckily I was able to boot into recovery mode ( cmd-R after hearing the sound ), and first tried to repair the disk, which it said need repairing and said it did this successfully. However, same boot problem. Finally had to re-install Yosemite in recovery mode and that worked. Needless to say, I do NOT have TRIM enabled yet.

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
Just downloaded the new version of TRIM Enabler and everything is looking good. Its good I waited for the new version since a lot of what needs to be done is automated I believe. I read a lot more success comments than failures on the website after the update.

Its good to see the developer is very active to make sure it works correctly even if Apple puts up barriers.

oxident

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
A serious petition should be placed on Apple in order to allow TRIM support for third party SSD (change.org or something similar?). What if I don't have lots of cash and I want to extend the life of my old Macbook by installing an internal SSD? What if I buy an external USB or Thunderbolt SDD? No TRIM for me? Windows and Linux allows TRIM everywhere... I think this is a big mistake from Apple that really uncovered itself with OSX Yosemite. If you want my money, there are better ways...

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
A serious petition should be placed on Apple in order to allow TRIM support for third party SSD (change.org or something similar?). What if I don't have lots of cash and I want to extend the life of my old Macbook by installing an internal SSD? What if I buy an external USB or Thunderbolt SDD? No TRIM for me? Windows and Linux allows TRIM everywhere... I think this is a big mistake from Apple that really uncovered itself with OSX Yosemite. If you want my money, there are better ways...

Apple is like your uncle. He pays for your tuition.. but he molests you sometimes (c)

RamCity

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2014
Sydney

The Angelbird SSD Wrk for Mac line of SSDs do have native TRIM support for OSX, including Yosemite.

*NOTE*: Yes, we sell this product. You can also buy it from Angelbird, Amazon or a number of other vendors in the US and Europe.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom

Trim Enabler... Although, you MUST remember to disable it each and every OS X update... otherwise, if the update installs with it running and the unit auto reboots, then you'll face the stop sign at Boot... and a truck load of Terminal commands to try and get your unit back up and running.

I speak from experience on this one...

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
I just updated to 10.10.1 and aside from disabling the patch, nothing happened....

you mean, disabling trim enabler the update and then back enabling trim enabler?
if ys that sounds quite convenient
I'm going t upgrade my ssd with a sammy 500 evo soon so want to make sure i won't do a mess :)

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
you mean, disabling trim enabler the update and then back enabling trim enabler?
if ys that sounds quite convenient
I'm going t upgrade my ssd with a sammy 500 evo soon so want to make sure i won't do a mess :)

Nope. I had trim enabler with the patch running when i updated. The updates were installed and when my macbook rebooted i checked trim enabler and the patch was disabled. I set the patch to enabled again and rebooted again. Worked perfectly fine.

Maybe 10.10.1 is special, but it didn't crash for me. Not grey screen no boot issues, nowt. Rebooted and started up fine.

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
Nope. I had trim enabler with the patch running when i updated. The updates were installed and when my macbook rebooted i checked trim enabler and the patch was disabled. I set the patch to enabled again and rebooted again. Worked perfectly fine.

Maybe 10.10.1 is special, but it didn't crash for me. Not grey screen no boot issues, nowt. Rebooted and started up fine.

sorry if this has been said earlier..so apart from TrimEnabler, what patch ar you talking about?
sorry a bit confused here :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.