Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Anyone know why this isn't working for me? My iMac shows the AirDrop in the menu bar but the devices can't see each other?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Anyone know why this isn't working for me? My iMac shows the AirDrop in the menu bar but the devices can't see each other?

Are you on Yosemite or Mavericks on your Mac? Only Yosemite allows Airdrop to work between a Mac and an iPhone.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Are you on Yosemite or Mavericks on your Mac? Only Yosemite allows Airdrop to work between a Mac and an iPhone.

Yes, upgraded to Yosemite yesterday. Both the iMac and the phone are on the same network (though the iMac is wired, not wifi...but other features like the Calling Continuity or whatever it's called is working).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Yes, upgraded to Yosemite yesterday. Both the iMac and the phone are on the same network (though the iMac is wired, not wifi...but other features like the Calling Continuity or whatever it's called is working).

If I'm not mistaken both Bluetooth and Wifi need to be turned on in order for Airdrop to work on the iPhone.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Airdrop worked for me on Yosemite Beta...

...Since I (freshly) installed the release version Yosemite, Airdrop does not work between Mac and iPhone 6 at all - no matter what I do.

Handoff on the other hand works perfectly, but Airdrop would be more important to me.

Sucks.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It's a hardware thing. Your Mac has to be 2012 or newer. It would have been nice for Apple to tell us that or maybe include it on the website.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
Also might try restarting both devices (if you haven't already). I was having issues where after updating to Yosemite, my rMBP could see the iPhone, but the iPhone couldn't see the MBP on AirDrop. Restarted the iPhone, and it has worked just fine since.

Raelkadd

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Dubai
Similar issue here. I can airdrop files from my Mac to my iPhone, but not vice versa.

Same here.

Anyone did find a fix for this yet?

I tried restarting both macbook and iPhone 6Plus
sign out and re-sign for iCloud on macbook
Hard reset iphone

Macbook to iPhone works fine but not from iPhone to macbook.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
It still seems buggy. I have to turn on/off Airdrop on my phone multiple times sometimes to get it to work. I would select a file, but the phone doesn't show up. Sometimes I go to the Airdrop pane on the finder to double check. But just keep trying, it should work. Also try using "Everyone" instead of contacts only.

Raelkadd

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Dubai
"it just works" should not be used anymore.

iOS 8 in general is inferior to iOS 7 in so many ways and hopefully would be fixed in 8.2 or 8.3.

Ibaorus

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
I had this problem before. I solved it by signing out of iCloud, rebooted both devices and signing in again.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011

I am not sure whether it is a hardware thing. But one thing to remind is that you can set "Allow me to be discovered by" in Airdrop. If you have yourself in the contact, you have to set it to either everyone or my contact. If you don't have yourself in the contact, you have to set it to everyone. Maybe you already know this but just in case this is the issue.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
This kind of connectivity is still a bit buggy, I'm afraid.

A similar example: with my combination of new iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 (WiFi), the iPhone would never show up under the iPad's WiFi menu as a personal hotspot. Instead, I'd have to toggle bluetooth, select the phone and connect to it.

After toggling iMessage on the phone, and doing the same with FaceTime, things now show as expected under the iPad's WiFi menu, as described in Apple's documentation. The personal hotspot shows up under the WiFi menu, complete with the phone's signal strength.

We shouldn't need to resort to tricks like this.

jkkool

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010

Apple hopelessly made this option works between iPhone and Mac, I own iPone 6 plus & iMac 5K retina, both running latest OSs, but most of the time y iMac never shows on my iphone, if sometime is shows its works like a charm and right after first transfer if i try to transfer any other pic or video it says prepairing and then everything stops like it transfered, but nothing actually happens, its always a struggle to use Airdrop, im so not happy with Apple how they executed it.:mad:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
It's probably not broken.

Like most IOS 8 things they just work some of the time.

I find I have to fiddle a lot with AirDrop and instant Hotspot to get them working. Then out of the blue they work fine (for a bit).

The whole IOS 8 experience is just marred with disappointment.

JBC8610

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
iMac 5k and iPhone 6 airdrop issue

Like many I've seen online getting airdrop to actually work has been a pain.

My iMac 5k immediately finds my iPhone 6 as long as my iPhone is ready to use meaning in the "unlocked" position. However, my iPhone could not find my iMac.

I remembered that sometimes my wireless mouse and iMac as well as my Macbook Pro can't always find each other. My fix there is always to shut off the iMac/Macbook bluetooth then turn it back on while my mouse is searching and bang finds it every time.

So I tried this with the airdrop situation and it also worked. It is a pain though, because I use a wireless mouse on my iMac. If you turn off bluetooth on the iMac there is no way to control it (no trackpad like macbook), so I had to break out my old "wired" mouse to turn the iMac's bluetooth back on. But it worked. Hope that helps some.

Kwiattek

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I have the same problem my imac 5k is not showing my iphone 6 or my ipad mini3 in finder/airdrop and vice versa iphone/ipad will not see imac. Tryed toggling icloud on all devices tryed toogling bluetooth no luck
I've reinstalled yosemite and no luck

SPOKEN TO APPLE SUPPORT: waiste of time !!!!

Any ideas guys ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.