Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Are there any good programs for cleaning old/unused folders, plist files and other files.

On Windows I use Ace Utilities to clean up the registry and files.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
The primary utility I use is WhatSize... it is based on a utility called DarkForrest that used to be included with NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP systems. It does basically the same thing as OmniDiskSweeper, but it is free.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
I second the recommendation for Onyx. It's free and easy to use. It's kept me free of any problems.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
I might as well try that too.

Just saw at MacUpdate that, starting with 2.0, MainMenu will be shareware. 10-15 bucks.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
rdf8585 said:
Just saw at MacUpdate that, starting with 2.0, MainMenu will be shareware. 10-15 bucks.
Well, it's just at 1.5.3 now... And if rakka actually goes through with that, and I have a certain understandin if he does, it might be back to using Terminal for me... :eek:

I might donate to keep a freeware application that I feel helps me, but I won't pay for a shareware application that is really just a minor convenience... ;)

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well, it's just at 1.5.3 now... And if rakka actually goes through with that, and I have a certain understandin if he does, it might be back to using Terminal for me... :eek:

I might donate to keep a freeware application that I feel helps me, but I won't pay for a shareware application that is really just a minor convenience... ;)

The application called Maintain runs everything through Terminal but makes everything much faster. Download it and let me know what you think :)

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I have tried them all but I think the best is Tinkertool System.

Mainly for its notification of what its doing and the sheer range of stuff it does that you would be delving into to wilds of Unix for normally.

Alas you do pay for it.:eek:

Dont like MainMenu confusing interface, Onyx has the same functions in several places and seems messy to me and with an odd choice of default options.

However there is really nothing that all these programs do that cant be achieved with a bit of research and a little "sudo ....... in the terminal"

rakka

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Know how you feel buddy.

Really didn't want this to happen either.

However, as I've told a few people, it is impossible for me to pay for proper hosting, web design, icon design, etc, being a 16 year old, and have no money of my own :(

Hope you understand.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
rakka said:
[...]

Hope you understand.
No problem. I've liked and used your excellent little application, and been a strong advocate for it here at MR :))), but I'm sympathetic to your situation...

Maybe if I had a bit money I could make a sizeable donation, but I'm afraid I'm as broke as they come at the moment... :eek:

So, it's back to the good ol', and slightly awkward, Terminal for me then... :( ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.