Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Are any of you beginning to really hate Apple, for whatever reason? I have my reasons, but what about you?

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Nope, I don't hate them.

So since you started the thread, what are your reasons for hating the company?

I hate Apple for deleting the tools I need for my trade.

Apple has deleted the products I need for my trade, all to maximize their profit, but is there not a responsibility for Apple to give people the tools for using OSX, not just the people that bring profit, but the wider business and professional community?

I am a writer, and I stare at the screen all day and night long, literally.

I hate Apple for deleting the matte or anti-glare screen. They kept it at least for the 15" MacBook Pro - but the removed any mention of it from their advertising material, and then had the temerity to say no one wanted anti-glare screens, and deleted the last remaining 15" option.

Now Apple brings an anti-glare coating to the iPad. What does Apple think - that everyone loves glare on their Macs and iMacs? Even with the lower level of glare on the current iMacs and Retinas, I don't want to see any reflected image. It's fine for people watching movies and Facebook, but as a writer I do not want any reflected image.

With a pile of cash so disgustingly large, can't Apple just offer an anti-glare option for one lousing model?

What about offering the 17" screen for those professionals who need it?

Why can't Apple settle for less cash and meet the needs of professionals and business people?

Being an OS supplier comes with responsibility for the wide range of people that use it. Whatever you can say about Microsoft, they do take the responsibility seriously knowing that people's livelihood depends on their OS.

So by forcing me off the iMac because of a lack of matte screen, the option was for me to use the Mac Mini with 3rd party matte screen - but now Apple solders in the RAM and hard drive, and removes the quad core option - so if I use an external matte screen, I have to settle for a really dumbed down Mac Mini.

For all the years I've used Macs, I have always updated the RAM and even hard drives.

I hate Apple for removing features from software we need -- and only when there's a public outcry of re-inserting the features. But what if people need certain features, but there were not enough numbers to force Apple's hand?

Removing the "save as" in Lion.

Removing the ability in Calendar to stipulate the time to postpone the item. Who is the idiot at Apple who forced us to postpone an item only around 15 minutes. Why remove the ability to postpone it for a range of selected time periods. Sure, because of the outcry, they brought it back in Mavericks, but I didn't upgrade to Mavericks because Apple totally stuffed up Apple Mail for IMAP, at least in the initial dot iterations, and I so reply on IMAP that I can't take the risk. If you read reports by Mail app designers, it's the inner workings of Mavericks Mail that are the reason for them messing with IMAP. It worked beautifully in Mountain Lion, and then they stuffer it up in Mavericks.

I have a MacBook Air that I can't upgrade the RAM. I hate that. Sure they can argue they needed to make the Air thinner, but that argument does not apply to soldering in the RAM in the Mac Mini. The Mini does not need to be thinner.

I hate Apple disdain for its users by dumbing down software. Do more advanced users buy so few Macs that we are not worth catering to?

I hate Apple's swarmy claim that they just want to make great products, but that includes a ruthless culling of products and features needed by substantial minorities. Let's say if 15-25% of people prefer anti-glare screens, that's not a small minority. The fact is, by deleting matte screens, those people still remain Apple users, and are forced to accept glossy screens - so Apple does not lose money, but Apple is not meeting the needs of those users. I've stayed with Apple, because OSX is superior to Windows, and I can't help that I find most Windows hardware just totally ugly. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I hate it that Apple bakes into the OS a range of piddly features that they could easily have done as standalone apps. e.g. iCloud Drive. Why couldn't they do what Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft's One Drive, and made their cloud app as a standalone app. I'll tell you why? So that we have to upgrade the OS and get new hardware if our Mac is too old to run the latest OS.

Why should we have to upgrade OS to get Apple Maps? It's an App. There are tons of map apps that stand alone? Why bake Maps into the OS? The same reason Bill Gates entwined Explorer into Windows, and got hauled over the coals for anti-competitive behavior. Apple is the same. Money corrupts.

Look, people, a company like Apple does not get the largest stash of cash in corporate history by thinking first of the customer's needs. They do so by thinking of every strategy to make money. I don't begrudge them that since most corporations are ruthless. But I think it means my former love for Apple has been misplaced. I should just see Apple computers as a tool, that should be dumped if something better comes along, and feel no sadness when Apple gets consigned to the scrapheap of history like every company that had its day.

I hate Apple now because many years ago, I feel in love with a company that did do the above, but somehow the company soured into a Wall Street profit-pleaser, and no longer cares about the people who bought into the dream of thinking different.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
"Hate" is a strong word. But "irritation", "mistrust", & "disappointment"? --Then yes, definitely.

I think the word hate is a reflection of how much I used to love Apple -- you know, the concept of the hatred that a lover feels when scorned, that sort of thing. You probably cannot understand my hatred unless you realise I've been a Mac user for more years than many of you, and have been such a passionate Mac evangelist. It's like realising it was all a delusion because a company is essentially not lovable. It's a marketing mirage.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I am a writer, and I stare at the screen all day and night long, literally.

I hate Apple for deleting the matte or anti-glare screen. They kept it at least for the 15" MacBook Pro - but the removed any mention of it from their advertising material, and then had the temerity to say no one wanted anti-glare screens, and deleted the last remaining 15" option.

What about offering the 17" screen for those professionals who need it?

So by forcing me off the iMac because of a lack of matte screen, the option was for me to use the Mac Mini with 3rd party matte screen - but now Apple solders in the RAM and hard drive, and removes the quad core option - so if I use an external matte screen, I have to settle for a really dumbed down Mac Mini.

For all the years I've used Macs, I have always updated the RAM and even hard drives.

I hate Apple for removing features from software we need -- and only when there's a public outcry of re-inserting the features. But what if people need certain features, but there were not enough numbers to force Apple's hand?

Removing the "save as" in Lion.

Removing the ability in Calendar to stipulate the time to postpone the item. Who is the idiot at Apple who forced us to postpone an item only around 15 minutes. Why remove the ability to postpone it for a range of selected time periods. Sure, because of the outcry, they brought it back in Mavericks, but I didn't upgrade to Mavericks because Apple totally stuffed up Apple Mail for IMAP, at least in the initial dot iterations, and I so reply on IMAP that I can't take the risk. If you read reports by Mail app designers, it's the inner workings of Mavericks Mail that are the reason for them messing with IMAP. It worked beautifully in Mountain Lion, and then they stuffer it up in Mavericks.

I have a MacBook Air that I can't upgrade the RAM. I hate that. Sure they can argue they needed to make the Air thinner, but that argument does not apply to soldering in the RAM in the Mac Mini. The Mini does not need to be thinner.

I hate Apple disdain for its users by dumbing down software. Do more advanced users buy so few Macs that we are not worth catering to?
1. You are a writer? What apps require you to have more ram on your mba?
2. The ram and hdd are not soldered in on the mac mini
3. Buy an anti-glare foil?
4. A 17" laptop? For writing? ...
5. Mail apps all suck.
6. Use a different calendar app?

Reactions: Goatllama

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I think the word hate is a reflection of how much I used to love Apple -- you know, the concept of the hatred that a lover feels when scorned, that sort of thing. You probably cannot understand my hatred unless you realise I've been a Mac user for more years than many of you, and have been such a passionate Mac evangelist. It's like realising it was all a delusion because a company is essentially not lovable. It's a marketing mirage.

I loved Apple too. Not so much these days. I timed buying my iMac (don't have a lot of money to throw around for all the New) to before Steve Jobs died because I had a feeling Apple would slide into Wall Street's twisted embrace.

Any rate, I've been the one upgrading the RAM and OS's in family & friends' Macs, and helping out with their Mac purchase decisions over the past 6 years.

It's even not just the stuff Apple just pulled with the Mac Mini. A friend asked me to go to the local Apple store 2 weeks ago with her as she needs a new computer, phone & wanted to get an iPad too. First time Apple buyer. The store itself was pretty uncrowded but we couldn't get anyone to help us or answer some questions. Worse were the contemptuous attitudes. My friend was furious afterward and will not go back. Overall, it feels like Apple is really out of touch with its customers.

Reactions: heffsf and jblagden

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Not hate, but I greatly dislike their controlling philosophy. Their hardware makes up for it though.

The only thing I genuinely hate about Apple is their writing style on their website. It is absolute, utter garbage. It's full of fragments and every other sentence begins with "And". I want to pound my face into a wall after reading it.

Reactions: andrewzzz

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The lack of antiglare options for their laptops really annoys me, as does their regime of soldering on RAM.

OP - FWIW the 'Save As' option is now just 'Duplicate' which does the exact same thing really, as is a more meaningful name than 'Save As'.

The RAM is soldered on the 2014 model.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The lack of antiglare options for their laptops really annoys me, as does their regime of soldering on RAM.
The RAM is soldered on the 2014 model.
I just read that. Apple customer support said it is not soldered! Let's wait for iFix it.
There is no real reason to solder ram in a desktop.
But then there is no reason to solder cpu or gpu either ...

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
It's a company so how can you love or hate it ? If it doesn't meet your needs, go somewhere else.

Agreed. Said that, I would like if Apple would stop dumbing down the Macs. And if Apple provided a decent iWork suite, adding new features, instead of removing features and redesigning its interface every year.

Reactions: jblagden

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Just wander over to any of the threads related to the new Mac Mini and you'll get an eye full of ire. Check also some of the new Mac Pro threads, as well as those forums dealing with Apple's no longer updating Aperture and the list goes on.

As for me - lots of things bother me about Apple and as sad as I am, I am seriously considering going back to the PC world.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I hate Apple for deleting the tools I need for my trade.

Apple has deleted the products I need for my trade, all to maximize their profit, but is there not a responsibility for Apple to give people the tools for using OSX, not just the people that bring profit, but the wider business and professional community?

I'm not sure I nderstand at all.

What are those Tools that Apple discontinued ("deleted") ?
Why couldn't you stick with what you had and continue using them ?

-t

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
how about these?

Making the base model overly weak forcing people to get the more pricier option.

Contributing to the white genocide agenda in America.

Requesting others to lower prices while increasing theirs.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Seriously ?
pokegifpagespeedce-wS6XlNSgH.gif

-t

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Indifferent.

Being a Mac Mini user, I get to choose the monitor to suit my preference….. And one thing I don't want is a glossy screen.

The OS just seems to work, with minimal hassle……. Cannot say the same earlier iterations of Windows, and cannot really comment on more recent ones. I have had little to do with Windows since I got my first computer, a Mac Mini in 2005. I am still using my second, the 2009 Mini, which I got because it was more cost effective than repairing the 2005.

I use iWork because it is easier to use than Office. Word and Excel may have more features, but I can forgo them for less hassle.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I switched to Apple computers because I needed a lightweight laptop and the macbook air was the best option (plus I was really curious to try out OSX). Around the time I bought my MBA, everyone else was coming out with lightweight "ultrabook" laptops but none of them really interested me.

I understand why you feel upset that some features/products/etc. you use were discontinued or changed. I had to drive almost 2 hours to pick up an iPod classic that was left on the shelf when Apple decided to discontinue them. Was I upset? Yes. Was I angry? Not really, more annoyed. Did I hate Apple? Not at all. I knew the iPod classic wasn't a big seller anymore because of the iPod touch and streaming music service. If I had missed getting another classic, I would have found the next best audio player and moved on.

I have no qualms about spending my money with a company other than Apple. As long as they continue to make products that meet my needs then I will spend my money with them. If they decide to change their products and they no longer fit my needs I will spend my money elsewhere it is as simple as that.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
1. You are a writer? What apps require you to have more ram on your mba?
3. Buy an anti-glare foil?
4. A 17" laptop? For writing? ...
5. Mail apps all suck.
6. Use a different calendar app?

Answers:
1 - Virtual machines take lots of RAM
2- early reports indicate that they are
3 - I have, but you can still see the reflection behind the anti-glare film
4 - A large screen is good for writing with multiple windows open for research, email etc.
5 - Mountain Lion mail is stable
6 - what if you need iCloud sync

----------

This.

It's foolish to "hate" a company. A company Is a non-living entity.

I have been displeased with them lately on e software side.

Yes, I agree. What you said is very logical. Need to spread that logical message to lots of people who love Apple.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hate is a bit of a strong word. I wouldn't ever hate a company, its just not worth it, but I can sure as hell dislike them. Apple has gone down in my opinion over the years, ever since they switched to Intel pretty much. Now we've got to the point where RAM is pointlessly soldered in to Macs, I am beginning to dislike them.

EDIT: I write for a living too OP. And I was very annoyed when iWork/Pages got downgraded. But Office/Word isn't going anywhere, and honestly I always preferred it to Pages anyway. What software do you use out of curiosity?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Answers:
1 - Virtual machines take lots of RAM
2- early reports indicate that they are
3 - I have, but you can still see the reflection behind the anti-glare film
4 - A large screen is good for writing with multiple windows open for research, email etc.
5 - Mountain Lion mail is stable
6 - what if you need iCloud sync
1. What apps do you use that require VMs?
2. I now read that, too. Quite the annoyance
3. I take your word for it
4. It also somewhat defeats the purpose of a laptop
5. Email has become increasingly disfinctional in general over the last decade or so
6. Google calendar?

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
I just read that. Apple customer support said it is not soldered! Let's wait for iFix it.
There is no real reason to solder ram in a desktop.
But then there is no reason to solder cpu or gpu either ...

From the various sources I've read, the reason Apple say the RAM is not user-upgradable is because they've glued the base onto the Mac Mini, rendering it inaccessible unless you're ok with invalidating your warranty. I believe it uses socketed RAM - it's just that Apple want to charge you 2-3 times the going rate to upgrade it.

As for hating Apple - I wouldn't say 'hate', but their megalomaniac approach to not allowing users to upgrade their own machines has rendered their current product line-up completely unattractive for me.

Take an all-in-one machine like the iMac. Every component with varying lifespans in one box. It's almost essential that such a model should have easy access to replace components such as the hard drive and RAM.

'Best product line-up ever'? Tell it to the shareholders, Tim.

hotpotato123

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.