Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I just learned a quick little lesson. I have a Samsung 830 SSD that I enabled TRIM Support with back on Mavericks or some other OS X version only to discover randomly that Yosemite disables it.

So I opened up Trim Enabler and turned it back and on reboot I was met with a greyed out cancel sign:
prohibitory_sign.png

Thus I had to read up that Yosemite does some new security signing thing, and that I should have upgraded to Trim Enabler 3.3 before turning on Trim.

In case you get that greyed out cancel sign above read this:
http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/

I was able to reverse the problem and no harm was done and now I have Trim Support re-enabled, but it wasn't something I was thrilled about. Oh well, live and learn.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
When enabled, do you find that Yosemite takes considerably longer time to boot and login...?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
When enabled, do you find that Yosemite takes considerably longer time to boot and login...?

I've only rebooted once since enabling it, but I've found the opposite. It loaded much faster. Before enabling TRIM, I had been wondering if my iMac was finally reaching it's limits with Yosemite since it was a little slow.

It's a little early to be sure but I think with TRIM back on things are moving a bit more normal pace again.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
It's a little early to be sure but I think with TRIM back on things are moving a bit more normal pace again.

Trim on or off would make a difference to whether your speeds decay over time, it isn't the case that speed will be faster right now with it on than with it off.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Trim on or off would make a difference to whether your speeds decay over time, it isn't the case that speed will be faster right now with it on than with it off.

I completely agree. I'm trying to look at this objectively but the computer is running more similar to how Mavericks was operating on my iMac. Nothing is speeding up, per se, rather getting back to what I was used to. Perhaps throughout the install process there was a ton of garbage that needed cleaning up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.