Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How likely is it that you would recommend OS X Yosemite to a friend or colleague?

• Total voters

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
An intentionally simple poll. Please:
  1. first click the button that matches your feeling
  2. then, only if you wish to know a little more about the Net Promoter Score®, follow either of the links below
– thank you.

Please respond with a focus on one thing alone: the likelihood of you recommending Yosemite.

(Not whether you would recommend it based on its levels of reliability, not whether you would recommend it based on its degrees of beauty, and so on; simply the likelihood of you making the recommendation.)

Personal note

I waited three hours before adding my response (the twenty-third), then read the first of those two documents. Prior to that I knew nothing about NPS measurement or interpretation. I have not yet read the PDF.

Last edited:

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
It'd be easier to change the poll to " would you recommend Yosemite to a friend ? Yes / No.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Advice

There's a reason for the eleven-point scale, but please don't spoil the poll by revealing the reason in discussion.

Readers, please:
  • first click the button that matches your feeling
  • then, only if you wish to know why this is not a yes/no poll, click one of the two links above.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Focus: the likelihood of you recommending Yosemite (that one thing, alone)

Please, in this topic, avoid discussion of anything other than the likelihood of you recommending Yosemite …

I wish the votes to be as unbiased as possible.

Thank you.

PS: thanks to Partron22 for so quickly editing the previous post :)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Additional guidance

When I opened this poll, I was not aware that a beta of 10.10.1 had been seeded to developers.

If you choose to vote above, please do so:
  • based on your experience with the released build of OS X 10.10
  • not based on your experience with any beta of 10.10 or 10.10.1.
I should probably add: if you're thinking of actively discouraging a friend or colleague from getting Yosemite, then please think twice before voting here.

Focus instead on the likelihood of you actively recommending the product, then vote.

Thanks

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Personally, I would make the recommendation to upgrade. For me, Yosemite is faster, prettier, and more usable.

Professionally, I am advising my users not to upgrade at this time. Yosemite breaks one major, mission critical app in my organization.

I decided that gets an aggregate score of 7.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Not really, unless he has the most recent Mac and iPhone and doesn't need to use typical corporate access functions through a VPN. That weeds out most of the people I know.

Personally, I would make the recommendation to upgrade. For me, Yosemite is faster, prettier, and more usable.

Professionally, I am advising my users not to upgrade at this time. Yosemite breaks one major, mission critical app in my organization.

I decided that gets an aggregate score of 7.
That is still a pretty high score for something that breaks usability in a major way.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
As someone who deals in NPS professionally and frequently - asking the NPS question without asking anything else won't allow you to gain any insights as to why the NPS score is the way it is.

Put another way, NPS doesn't stand alone. I cringe when I see stand-alone surveys like this one, as they're doomed to yield uninteresting results.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Criticism of NPS (in the opening post) and limitations of MacRumors Forums

smithrh: thanks.

I'm not attempting to use this professionally – other than bookmarking, I knew practically nothing about NPS before I began this poll (I had never heard of it, and so on) – but I do share your concern.

Please note the criticisms linked from the opening post – the article is not particularly recent, but from that alone it should be obvious that given the constraints of MacRumors Forums, I'm not taking polls such as this too seriously.

… asking the NPS question without asking anything else …

Maybe not obvious: we're not allowed to ask anything else – the poll feature is limited to a single question.

Would you like to vote in the poll about optimism towards Apple products? No NPS there.

… doomed to yield uninteresting results.

I disagree.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Discussion of results of five polls, three of which are for Apple operating systems

Deleted because OP asked for no discussion.

Ah, discussion is welcome. Mainly, I wished to avoid 'spoilers' appearing beneath the poll.

It's remarkable that people chose to self-moderate in this potentially contentious topic. Big thanks to all those people.

… you sure like to stay professional. :)

There's occasional obsession and excesses of attention to detail, but I wouldn't describe myself as professional. The older I get, the readier I am to rebel, especially when presented with something as unprofessional as the GUI/UX of OS X 10.10. Oops, I just revealed my bias ;-)

Inviting anyone to take better measurements than can be taken within the constraints of vBulletin/MacRumors forums:
– maybe a professional person or group is on the case already. (I assume that results of Apple's approaches to NPS and so on are not made public.)

Discussion

Apple Computer, OS X®, iOS® and the Net Promoter® Score (NPS®)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.