Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Although downgrading works if you don't like Yosemite, bear in mind that all new macs (all Haswell-based Macs, and Ivy Bridge rMBP 15" and 13") also get their EFI/SMC firmware upgraded as well. So downgrading back to Mavericks will make the startup screen when it chimes and the drive selection screen black instead of the white/grey...

Edit: When I meant new, I meant 2012 onwards

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Although downgrading works if you don't like Yosemite, bear in mind that all new macs (all Haswell-based Macs, and Ivy Bridge rMBP 15" and 13") also get their EFI/SMC firmware upgraded as well. So downgrading back to Mavericks will make the startup screen when it chimes and the drive selection screen black instead of the white/grey...

and the point is? the OS that comes with a new mac is the 'oldest' OS you should run on that mac. as is always the case...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
and the point is? the OS that comes with a new mac is the 'oldest' OS you should run on that mac. as is always the case...

The firmware update and black screen change applies at least to 2013 computers, which shipped with Mavericks.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
The firmware update and black screen change applies at least to 2013 computers, which shipped with Mavericks.

The earliest Mac (Ivy Bridge rMBP) that support this firmware change came with Lion. ;)

What I meant was Macs that are comparatively new which doesn't have Yosemite preinstalled will have their firmware upgraded as part of the OS. While this isn't such a big deal itself, those that might downgrade it back to a previous OS will find the startup sequence inconsistent since the selection screen has changed into black while the loading of the OS (pre-yosemite) itself is grey.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The earliest Mac (Ivy Bridge rMBP) that support this firmware change came with Lion. ;)

I don't have access one of those, but the 2012 11" Air I have did not get a firmware update with Yosemite, hence the "at least" in my response.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
If you reboot twice after downgrading to Mavericks it should revert to white. It's not the firmware that changes the color, it's boot.efi. The boot.efi hack for the black boot screen on unsupported Macs changes the boot menu to black as well... The first time booting back into Mavericks, it's just a black screen, but after rebooting a few times it's white again. Then if you boot Yosemite again it takes a few reboots to return to black.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
If you reboot twice after downgrading to Mavericks it should revert to white. It's not the firmware that changes the color, it's boot.efi. The boot.efi hack for the black boot screen on unsupported Macs changes the boot menu to black as well... The first time booting back into Mavericks, it's just a black screen, but after rebooting a few times it's white again. Then if you boot Yosemite again it takes a few reboots to return to black.

That's interesting, didn't know that. Thought it was the firmware that was messing it around. However, some users have mentioned that their macs seem to be 'stuck' on the black screen even after downgrading.

References:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1818849/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1745984/ (second last post)
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...tartup-manager-after-downgrading-to-mavericks

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Have you looked at it?

I remember when people downgraded from Vista, and even 7 JUST because of the looks. I cannot go back to Mavericks now, it looks so old.

The new look is much better. And does that mean you will never upgrade? Because the new look is probably here to stay for YEARS.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I remember when people downgraded from Vista, and even 7 JUST because of the looks. I cannot go back to Mavericks now, it looks so old.

The new look is much better. And does that mean you will never upgrade? Because the new look is probably here to stay for YEARS.

I do (maybe) mean just that. Yosemite just doesn't cooperate with my eyes, and given the amount of system and app instability from Apple lately, I'm thinking an ultrabook with Windows 10 on it is probably the better choice. Of course, if I like the "all new redesigned 2015 macbook air", I'll probably get and install Windows 10 on that, if Windows runs alright on it.

It all depends on what happens this May(ish).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Yeah, I mentioned that in my thread.

Kind of annoying, but I'll live with it. I just wonder if it could cause issues for users running Mavericks.

----------

That was not the case with me. I have FV enabled if that changes anything.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
FileVault 2, Recovery OS, the recovery slice and versions of Mac OS X

… FV enabled if that changes anything.

Earlier:

I used a 10.9.5 USB. …

I wasn't sure exactly what was meant by that.

Consider that with FileVault 2, the early boot process for OS X uses the recovery slice (partition) to present users with the option to unlock the OS X slice.

Here for example:

Code:
sh-3.2$ diskutil list disk0 | grep Apple_Boot
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
   5:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s5
sh-3.2$ diskutil mount readOnly /dev/disk0s5
Volume Recovery HD on /dev/disk0s5 mounted
sh-3.2$ defaults read /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/SystemVersion
{
    ProductBuildVersion = 13F34;
    ProductCopyright = "1983-2014 Apple Inc.";
    ProductName = "Mac OS X";
    ProductUserVisibleVersion = "10.9.5";
    ProductVersion = "10.9.5";
}
sh-3.2$ diskutil unmount /dev/disk0s5
Volume Recovery HD on disk0s5 unmounted
sh-3.2$

In my case that's slice 5 of disk 0 (zero). Your Recovery OS may have a different slice number.

Essentially: check whether your Recovery OS is at Mac OS X 10.9.5. If not, it'll be timely to use Apple's full installer for that version of OS X.

Kernel Programming Guide: The Early Boot Process

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.