Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have followed a few tutorials on how to copy the mail folders within my library to put onto my second mac and although my email accounts were set up correctly with that process none of my old emails went from the old mac to the new one... is it possible just to drag all of the emails out and onto a HD and then drag them from that HD onto my second mac.. will that work? I can't afford to lose my old emails.

Thanks for your help guys.

stapoz

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
Select your mailboxes you want to transfer, go to Mail/Mailbox/Export mailbox and save to pendrive or iCloud volume or any storage. At your new Mac go Mail/File/Import mailboxes. Done

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Yeah I did that but as i said in my OP, none of the old emails went with.. just the account settings. The emails work now but the old messages and attachments have not imported

stapoz

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2014
hmm, maybe the export format of both Mail apps don't match. If you are very determined, you could try to directly copy Mail container folders from old Mac to the new one. The Mail folder is ~/Library/Mail/V2, of course, making a copy of original first. You should get to know which sub-folder contains which mailbox first.

CyrusOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
hmm, maybe the export format of both Mail apps don't match. If you are very determined, you could try to directly copy Mail container folders from old Mac to the new one. The Mail folder is ~/Library/Mail/V2, of course, making a copy of original first. You should get to know which sub-folder contains which mailbox first.

Thanks mate, that worked.

Matte2

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
My Mail program doesn't have the Export Mailbox option. Would going to Mailbox and then Archive Mailbox work? Would it place all my messages in a folder to where I could then download them to a USB flash drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.