Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
After searching and coming up empty I thought I would bring my question to MR.

Is there an app that will let me to set a time when just the display will go to sleep to save the battery, but keep the phone active?

I know about Autolock, but I don't want to lock the phone every time just to save the battery, and then have to enter the password each time just to do something quickly and then have the phone locked again.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Wow, too bad. It seems like an display sleep/dim feature would be a big energy saver. I use it on every MacOSX machine and it's especially useful for saving battery life on my laptops.

jwblue17

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
Wow, too bad. It seems like an display sleep/dim feature would be a big energy saver. I use it on every MacOSX machine and it's especially useful for saving battery life on my laptops.

Was looking for something for the iPad. Can not believe it does not exist.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

an iOS device with the screen locked or off is in no way the same as a Mac that is in sleep mode.

if you don't want to enter your passcode so frequently then set the time to require a passcode to a longer period.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Some people (such as myself) put our phone down for a moment and do something else, then come back to the phone. It's nice to have the screen dim if gone for longer than a set period without auto locking.

TouchID or a longer period to ask for the pin code is not always enough. TouchID, particularly, is non-existant on an iPhone 5.

This is one of the reasons I jailbreak. ScreenDimmer does exactly what I want and would do exactly what the OP wants.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Some people (such as myself) put our phone down for a moment and do something else, then come back to the phone. It's nice to have the screen dim if gone for longer than a set period without auto locking.

^ This is exactly the way I often use my phone. I would like to have the screen auto-dim independent of auto-locking in order to save battery life in exactly the same way a Macbook Pro does.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
^ This is exactly the way I often use my phone. I would like to have the screen auto-dim independent of auto-locking in order to save battery life in exactly the same way a Macbook Pro does.
I thought so.

As mentioned though, the only way to achieve what you want is to jailbreak. Unfortunately, unless you are on iOS 8.1.2 or below there is not a current jailbreak.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Doesn't this seem like a useful feature to save battery life? When the phone is active but 'idle' for a set period of time the display will dim down to a user controlled level. To reactivate the display just touch the screen once and the brightness will return to the 'normal' level.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Doesn't this seem like a useful feature to save battery life? When the phone is active but 'idle' for a set period of time the display will dim down to a user controlled level. To reactivate the display just touch the screen once and the brightness will return to the 'normal' level.

I don't think so. If I put the phone down and it's 'idle', more power will be saved by simply turning the display off (thus locking the phone). It's a simple matter to unlock the phone with TouchID. I personally set the auto lock feature to 'never' and I decide when to lock the phone. If I'm using it, it stays on. If I'm done with it for a while I lock it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't think so. If I put the phone down and it's 'idle', more power will be saved by simply turning the display off (thus locking the phone). It's a simple matter to unlock the phone with TouchID. I personally set the auto lock feature to 'never' and I decide when to lock the phone. If I'm using it, it stays on. If I'm done with it for a while I lock it.
What the OP is meaning is beyond screen dimming. With ScreenDimmer, a jailbreak tweak, you can set autolock to never and set a time period for the screen to dim, at which point the screen dims and then shuts off.

The only difference between ScreenDimmer, the aforementioned iOS 8 tweak 'DimMe' and your screen, is that your screen is shut off and the phone is locked while my screen (and the screen of those using these JB tweaks) is shut off but the phone is NOT locked. A simple movement (ScreenDimmer reads the gyro) or touch of the screen turns the screen back on.

If my screen is off but the phone is not locked then how is powersaving any different than yours when the screen is off and the phone is locked?

OP. Your need has been met by jailbreak devs. Unfortunately, what you propose Apple will not do because it involves levels of system access that Apple is not prepared to grant non-JB developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.