Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiritedcharm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I don't get how many people want to complain about the reported watch battery life. Eighteen hours seems like more than enough unless you are a freak of nature who doesn't sleep. How hard is it really to plug it up at night along side your iPhone? Do you all live in the jungle or what?

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
I don't get how many people want to complain about the reported watch battery life. Eighteen hours seems like more than enough unless you are a freak of nature who doesn't sleep. How hard is it really to plug it up at night along side your iPhone? Do you all live in the jungle or what?

^ This. I don't understand that either, I plug my phone in every night, how should this be any different?

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia

It means that you can't use Apple watch when you sleep to monitor your sleep patterns and set the alarm to wake you up in the morning :(

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
To play devil's advocate, it's another thing to charge.

But I agree, if it doesn't last years, then a day is good enough. I had a pebble for a while and it lasted almost a week, so inevitably I'd forget to check the power before bed as it wasn't a habit to charge it each night. Ended up charging it every night anyways, just to avoid an unexpected dead battery.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I don't get how many people want to complain about the reported watch battery life. Eighteen hours seems like more than enough unless you are a freak of nature who doesn't sleep.

Because it's about 1/1500th the life of a typical watch battery.

^ This. I don't understand that either, I plug my phone in every night, how should this be any different?

This is a bad comparison because a watch is not a phone.

"I plug in my camera battery to charge about twice a year. Why can't a watch battery last that long?"

See, the reason that statement sounds ridiculous is because you're comparing things that are inherently not the same.

People who wear watches (speaking as one) do not typically plug them in, and the battery typically lasts for years. So a watch whose battery lasts only 18 hours is quite jarringly short on life, compared to what we're used to.

spiritedcharm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Ah, monitoring your sleep...that's another thing I don't get. So you can see how much you move at night, how does that help you sleep better? I fail to see how knowing how bad (or good) you sleep is any benefit. It was cool when I first got my Fitbit and that lasted maybe a week.

spittingllama

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2015

But I agree, if it doesn't last years, then a day is good enough. I had a pebble for a while and it lasted almost a week, so inevitably I'd forget to check the power before bed as it wasn't a habit to charge it each night. Ended up charging it every night anyways, just to avoid an unexpected dead battery.

Exactly the same for me with my Nike fuel band. It dies when you least expect it and then forget to charge as not in habit every night.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
really hate the idea that I have yet another device that require daily charging...

But this thing is a beauty so I'll put up with it, for now.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Given that it will still work as a watch while other functions shut down, I think this is reasonable.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.

I get an e-mail from Fitbit when my Surge needs its battery recharged; it lets me know I have a little over a day of charge left. So I have yet to forget to recharge it every 5th day of use.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015

"I plug in my camera battery to charge about twice a year. Why can't a watch battery last that long?"

See, the reason that statement sounds ridiculous is because you're comparing things that are inherently not the same.

People who wear watches (speaking as one) do not typically plug them in, and the battery typically lasts for years. So a watch whose battery lasts only 18 hours is quite jarringly short on life, compared to what we're used to.

I'm guessing that a watch that last for years between battery changes does does not have any of the functionality that the AW does, talk about bad comparisons.

If you want a battery that you don't have to recharge, get yourself a Casio and call it day. If you want a computer on your wrist that acts as an extension to your existing iPhone, you'll have to charge it daily. Pretty simple.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014

Although I agree with you to an extent, isn't it still equally as silly to compare a watch to a smartwatch? I mean, other than both going on your wrist and telling time, that's where the similarities end. They're essentially two completely different products. A smartwatch is a mini computer, not a watch. Confusing!

That said, I DO think the Apple watch should have longer battery life, and although charging every night doesn't bother me, I would love to not HAVE to. But I don't think anyone at all looks at a smartwatch and is appalled that it doesn't last years on a single charge like a normal watch. People realize they're 2 completely different things.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Ah, monitoring your sleep...that's another thing I don't get. So you can see how much you move at night, how does that help you sleep better? I fail to see how knowing how bad (or good) you sleep is any benefit. It was cool when I first got my Fitbit and that lasted maybe a week.

For people with sleep apnea, this is a very valuable data measurement.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Although I agree with you to an extent, isn't it still equally as silly to compare a watch to a smartwatch? I mean, other than both going on your wrist and telling time, that's where the similarities end. They're essentially two completely different products. A smartwatch is a mini computer, not a watch. Confusing!

Would you feel better if I compared the Apple watch to my iPhone then? Fair enough.

Seems like my iPhone can do pretty much everything an Apple watch can do, plus a LOT more. And I can get three days between charges. According to what I've seen I can't get three days from the Apple watch.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.

Sleep tracking by FitBit watch depends on the model. The Surge and Charge HR monitor Heart Rate as well as movements at night; the others just detect movement.

Your deep-sleep HR is a very important indicator of cardiovascular health. I have altered my training to improve that level.

The tracking of total time and quality of sleep helped me realize how important a good night sleep is. The energy level I have doing the day matches up very closely with the morning sleep report from my Surge. I am now trying different things to improve my sleep efficiency.

The lack of sleep tracking is a non-starter for the AW for me.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Would you feel better if I compared the Apple watch to my iPhone then? Fair enough.

Seems like my iPhone can do pretty much everything an Apple watch can do, plus a LOT more. And I can get three days between charges. According to what I've seen I can't get three days from the Apple watch.

I said it was an equally as silly comparison. So no, it is not a better one. Frankly, a smartwatch can't be compared to either of them effectively. That's why it is it's own category.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Hm. Have you seen inside an iPhone or better yet, an iPad? There's a reason both are mostly (for the iPad, 95%? more?) battery.

The watch has not so much room for the battery. :)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I said it was an equally as silly comparison. So no, it is not a better one. Frankly, a smartwatch can't be compared to either of them effectively. That's why it is it's own category.

In that case, no - I don't believe that comparing a watch to a smartwatch is nearly as silly or irrelevant as comparing it to something else. IMO, a smartwatch's nearest relative on the technology spectrum is a wristwatch. You can argue all you like that it's more like a "computer" or a "phone," but in reality it's being marketed as a watch, or at least a replacement/competitor for such. So the comparison is much more fair than any other, as far as I'm concerned.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

My daily watch is kinetic, so it never needs a battery or charging. But then it tells the time and that's all. I think an 18+ hour battery life for what is a small computer with near endless possibilities is pretty damn good for a gen 1 product.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
In that case, no - I don't believe that comparing a watch to a smartwatch is nearly as silly or irrelevant as comparing it to something else. IMO, a smartwatch's nearest relative on the technology spectrum is a wristwatch. You can argue all you like that it's more like a "computer" or a "phone," but in reality it's being marketed as a watch, or at least a replacement/competitor for such. So the comparison is much more fair than any other, as far as I'm concerned.

Like I said, I agree with you to an extent, because I see where you're coming from, but I personally think there's way too many differences between a watch and a smartwatch to consider them in the same category. A smartwatch does so much more and has infinitely more power and capability than a standard watch, so like I said I don't think a single person expects a smartwatch to have the same battery as a standard one.

To me, it's like comparing an iPhone (or any smartphone) to a house phone. They're both called a 'phone' and you can make calls on both, but that's where the similarities end. No one can reasonably compare the two based on abilities because they both serve different purposes and are in different categories.

I know going back and forth is pointless because we'll never see eye to eye, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I can't help but be reminded of the Playtex 18-Hour Bra they used to advertise on tv when I was a kid. I used to wonder what would happen if the lady wore it past 18 hours. Avalanche? :eek:

My carriage will turn back into a pumpkin and my Apple Watch will turn into a cute paperweight at the end of the night. I'm cool with that. I used to have to wind watches. Then I had to take them to a jeweler for new batteries that never seemed to last as long as the one that came with the watch. Now I have to stick them under light to keep them going. Charging at night is no biggie to me. The bigger sticking point for me is lack of full waterproofing. And even that's a minor bummer.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

You two seem to be under the assumption that no one wears their watch at night. This is not true. I wear my watch at night and I'm not the only one. Obviously with the :apple:Watch I'm going to have to change my habit so it doesn't run out of charge during the day. That said I may even compromise and wear my Pebble at night when less functionality is needed and the :apple:Watch during the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.