Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andych

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
anyone help with this ongoing saga of mine...some avi files play no problem but the odd one will play without sound and apple trys to redirect me to a site with available codecs to install,only problem is,what codec?,i have installed a few and put them in my quicktime folder but no joy,i know this is a rather stupid problem but anyone out there who can give me a few pointers wil be greatly appreciated..
cheers.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
andych said:
anyone help with this ongoing saga of mine...some avi files play no problem but the odd one will play without sound and apple trys to redirect me to a site with available codecs to install,only problem is,what codec?,i have installed a few and put them in my quicktime folder but no joy,i know this is a rather stupid problem but anyone out there who can give me a few pointers wil be greatly appreciated..
cheers.

I also find quicktime really temperamental with .avi files.

Just don't bother with it and download VLC instead. It deals with pretty much everything (most video files) very, very well. :)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Coder-Decoder/Compressor-Decompressor
Compression is not always involved, sometimes the files are special coded and are not made any more efficent or smaller.

Where are you getting the media?

Some AVI files have special "characteristics" and are designed to work with special pay or advertising services.
Some of these codecs are not available for general use. As noted above VLC is a good program, it may solve your problems.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
The beauty of VLC is that it is an open-source software program. The problem with it is that it can't decode every preparatory format.

AVI = Audio Video Interleave file format, it's really an envelope for stuffing audio and video in together with as far as I know, no other standards*. The codecs needed to decode and AVI file, are actually the important part. Technically, any audio/video file could be made AVI, and it should be easy to turn any AVI file into its native format by decompressing* the file and by removing the header and footer. In the header it states that it is an AVI file with a string of hex, then in it states the decompression routine/codec needed, then information needed by the decoder, and then the file should follow.

There is also no guarantee as to the content of the file that is it could contain a text file, an exe, or something other than audio and video information. Hey, it’s already told the computer that it is a media file, so what’s to worry. So a tricky little person could design a codec...better yet a codec and a special player. This player uses the codec to play the AVI files and display advertising, guarantee your age, or delete the file afterwards- what ever. This could be good for both you and the company. They could even send statistics back to some company that could better target you, though the email your provided – adware. Or worse yet, they could build up trust with anybody using the codec and player, and then one day, it gets a movie that contains a bit of malicious code that the player executes while a person watches some interesting content.

All of this aside, the AVI idea is really noble. It allows technology and compression technologies to move forward and it allows information about how to decode (and to get the decoder) the file to be included in the media. It allows enterprising programmers to utilize the format as part of a content delivery system that can incorporate DRM or features to insure its content is what the creator intended. It also allows irritating little nits to use social engineering in conjunction with software to screw with people’s information and data.

Trust me, at some point, this kind of trick will affect OSX users in mass. For now, this kind of social and software engineering is targeted at Windows users.

(*I don’t think it provides for any compression needs)

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Eniregnat said:
The beauty of VLC is that it is an open-source software program. The problem with it is that it can't decode every preparatory format.

<SNIP>

That's some great information there.

Having used it for a while, I'd say VLC is probably the best video player for OS X. The only thing it seems to have trouble with is WMA files but they rarely come up so it's not a big problem.

Quicktime has some great features, especially QT Pro, but it's problems with random .avi files do dilute it's prowess somewhat.

andych

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
ok i got it and it worked no problem,thanks a lot,
i bow to thy genius.

andcraig

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
Honestly. I dislike VLC.
Sadly it is the best choice for OSX, sometimes MplayerOSX can pull things off better, but not often.

Unfortunately VLC still has shoddy support for h264 inside of .mkv and makes them nearly unwatchable.

I really want media player classic and my matroska codecs for OSX...sigh.

winterdude010

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
New York
Google says...

I was having trouble with Google .avi files on google video. They recommended i download DivX. It worked! Also worked with many other .avi files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.