Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in October, popular Mac image editing app Pixelmator was brought to iOS in the form of an iPad app, and as of today, that iOS app is being expanded to the iPhone. Pixelmator for iOS is now a universal app, giving iPhone users a way to edit their images with Pixelmator's powerful image editing tools for the first time.

iPhone support is an important step in Pixelmator's evolution and will let the company reach a much wider customer base. For many people, the iPhone has largely replaced point and shoot cameras. Image sharing site Flickr, for example, lists Apple's iPhones as the top three most popular cameras.

There are already a wealth of image editing apps available for the iPhone, but Pixelmator sets itself apart with a solid set of tools packaged in an accessible interface and iCloud interconnectivity with the Pixelmator Mac app.

pixelmatorphotoadjustments.jpg
Pixelmator for iPhone offers the same tools available in the iPad app, so those who have used the previous version of the app will be familiar with its capabilities. On the iPhone, Pixelmator's photo editing tools are likely to be the most useful, letting users adjust colors, fix lighting, add filters, crop, straighten, and distort photographs.

There are also powerful retouching tools that can be used to remove unwanted objects from images, much like in the Mac app. Tools have granular adjustments for making minor tweaks to the look of a photo, and there are brush-on effects in the "Retouch" menu that let users paint on image-correcting adjustments with a finger.

pixelmatorpainting.jpg
Pixelmator can also be used by artists and mobile designers to create original paintings, drawings, and compositions directly on the iPhone. It has support for more than 100 brushes and it includes a color picker and an eyedropper for managing colors. There's a smear tool for softening image edges, and a wet-painting feature for creating watercolor images. Pixelmator also includes support for words, shapes, and layers, with non-destructive layer styles and blending modes.

pixelmatorlayers.jpg
Like the previous iPad version, the new Pixelmator has support for iOS 8 features like iCloud Drive, Extensions, and Handoff. Images created on the iPhone will sync to the iPad and the Mac automatically, and it's also possible to begin an image on one device and switch over to another using Handoff. A Photos extension mades Pixelmator's editing tools available directly in the Photos app.

The iPhone app is being included in the existing Pixelmator app as an update, so all consumers who have previously purchased Pixelmator for iPad can download the new iPhone app at no charge.

Pixelmator for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Powerful Image Editing App 'Pixelmator' Expands to the iPhone

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
It just won't be a pleasurable experience on such a small screen, no matter how well executed

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Is this better than snapseed? Which gets so much right by not including everything and the kitchen sink. But the latest UI is sucky as it takes many presses to do something even just getting to a menu/option/tool. But edit wise it's tough to beat. And it's free.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
It just won't be a pleasurable experience on such a small screen, no matter how well executed

of course it will be. for a documented bajillion people, it's a pleasurable experience just taking pics and putting crappy filters on them, now you have MORE capabilities than the norm. on your phone. which travels everywhere with you.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have this on my iPad Air 2, but decided to see if it would run on my iPhone 4S as well. Needlessly to say I absolutely stunned at how well it actually ran. What an absolutely amazing job they've done here.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I have this on my iPad Air 2, but decided to see if it would run on my iPhone 4S as well. Needlessly to say I absolutely stunned at how well it actually ran. What an absolutely amazing job they've done here.

How useful is it? I've got nothing but respect for these guys and I do have the Mac version, but I'm not sure if it's of any real use on an iPhone. Have the 6 though so the screen real estate isn't as small as a 4S.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014

i just downloaded it, never having used it on an iPad, but always having it on my radar (i use daily photoshop heavily, so it wasn't a high priority until it was for tablet AND phone)... i gotta say yeah - wow. basically kills the need for most other editing apps i have. only notable absence that i figured would be in there is a fisheye lens warp tool - the tools provided don't offer a clean uniform 'bloat', you'd have to do it manually with multiple finger swipes. otherwise, since i wasn't expecting a full blown desktop app, this thing is amazing.

----------

How useful is it? I've got nothing but respect for these guys and I do have the Mac version, but I'm not sure if it's of any real use on an iPhone. Have the 6 though so the screen real estate isn't as small as a 4S.

what are you hoping for? i can check... like i said, it's no desktop app, but i don't have the desktop pixelmatr for comparison. plus, i'm on a 5s and the UI is sleek and friendly.

edit: noticing some real slowdown when applying the repair filter... took a good 30 sec to process the effect on a full sized image with lots of detail. result was excellent, but i'll be checking battery consumption over the next few days of playing around. wonder how much better it is on a 6 or 6+

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Awesome, I was hoping they'd do this. I don't know why, since I almost never take pictures, but it's just such a great app on iPad and Mac. It was mostly the great extensions it includes that I think will suite iPhone very well; doing serious repair/creation work will be better done on iPad (or better yet Mac).

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
I own the iPad version and I was prepared to pay another $5, but they went universal. That was unexpected. Thanks

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Excellent, this made my day. No one could have blamed them if they'd charged for it as a separate app, making it universal is just typical of their awesomeness. I am proud to have been an early owner of the previously more expensive Pixelmator on OS X and then later on iPad, and I don't begrudge them a penny I've spent on it, as it's just got better and better.

From a quick play with it on my iPhone 6 they've done a great job making it work on the iPhone too, I think. As someone who loved apps like Brushes on the iPhone/iPod Touch, even on a 3.5 inch screen, it's absolutely usable on the bigger screen of an iPhone 6 as far as I'm concerned.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Great, it replaces the $5 iPhoto app that Apple stole from me after I purchased it in iOS 6. Oh yeah, that reminds me about Aperture, another $80 flushed.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Excellent, this made my day. No one could have blamed them if they'd charged for it as a separate app, making it universal is just typical of their awesomeness. I am proud to have been an early owner of the previously more expensive Pixelmator on OS X and then later on iPad, and I don't begrudge them a penny I've spent on it, as it's just got better and better.[...]

TBH, I bought the Mac App when it first hit the App Store thinking I could use it to do some quick touch ups while using PS for heavy works. It turns out, I'm using Pixelmator so much I haven't fire up PS more than 3 or 4 time last year. Once you get the hold of it, you can do so much, it's amazing (even more, with the Vectormator mode [Command-Shift-V]).

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
While this is certainly a welcome addition, I don't think this was necessary.

I'd prefer them focusing on an interface that my eyes can use on the Mac, a unified window, dockable palettes, and whatnot. At least now I can browse their website like before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.