Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescharley22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
Because I didn't initially believe OS X 10.11 was going to be what Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion were to Leopard and Lion respectively, I'm still pretty disappointed with El Capitan. Although there are great new features, I still wish it were more substantial. Now, I patiently wait for next year's WWDC with a few things I want in OS X 10.12:
  • Automatic Mac locking/unlocking with Apple Watch through iBeacon
    • User account loading based on Apple Watch and its wearer
  • BootCamp app for natively running Windows 10 with OS X
  • A stronger OneNote and Evernote competitor
  • A more fluid Split View implementation
  • Siri (with Intelligence because iOS 9 gets it)
What do you look forward to in OS X 10.12? What do you think it may be called?

Last edited:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Basically what ever was on the 10.11 wishlist but was not actually implemented in 10.11

I would like to see:

* Preference to change default behaviour of green button - I.e. default to zoom or maximise instead of fullscreen
* System wide dark mode
* Unlock mac without password (touch / trackpad pattern / face recognition / watch / iphone... etc
* More mouse/trackpad gestures in Safari - close tab, open tab, refresh etc... (similar to Opera)

I'm thinking it may be called Redwood or Sequoia

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@bumblebritches5 the wait for a modern file system may be much longer than we'd like. Given the current range of Apple products, I suspect that we'll see incremental changes to the storage system but little or no improvement to HFS Plus.

Defocusing from file and storage systems: it's timely for me to move, or echo, some of my content from the list for OS X 10.11. Watch this space ...

Reactions: bumblebritches5

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
NEW ****ING FILESYSTEM! jesus **** it's getting old at this point Apple, replace your decrepit filesystem from the 20th century with something modern, for the love of data integrity and performance.
I don't see apple going with a new file system at this point. I don't believe they see the need is as strong as you do.

Perhaps I'm being myopic but HFS+ is meeting my needs, and I suspect for the average consumer they don't know or care what the file system is and its working for them as it is.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
* Preference to change default behaviour of green button - I.e. default to zoom or maximise instead of fullscreen

THIS!!!!

My god, such an easy fix and yet they completely SCREW IT UP by not including a drop down menu to select the behaviour of the green button. Or, AT LEAST open up the API to allow developers to modify it like RightZoom did in the past if Apple doesn't feel like adding the option themselves.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
1. Ability to choose what is installed. Hide the option from normal users if you have to but at least provide the option to slim down pointless additions to OS X. (Photos, iCloud, Game Centre, Launcpad, Photo Booth, etc.)

According to Activity Monitor pointless constantly running processes are taking about 10% of processor and about 500 MB of RAM. It might not sound much but why force user to keep them running on the background because I never need them?

2. Stop releasing OS X based on artificial timeline, yearly releases are clearly impossible without unacceptable quality issues.

Alternatively release OS X Pro which has no pointless "200 new features" and is optimized to be as reliable and fast as possible. I would pay 50€ for a modern day version of Snow Leopard. Unfortunately El Capitan isn't as great as I was hoping...

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
1. Ability to choose what is installed. Hide the option from normal users if you have to but at least provide the option to slim down pointless additions to OS X. (Photos, iCloud, Game Centre, Launcpad, Photo Booth, etc.)

According to Activity Monitor pointless constantly running processes are taking about 10% of processor and about 500 MB of RAM. It might not sound much but why force user to keep them running on the background because I never need them?

2. Stop releasing OS X based on artificial timeline, yearly releases are clearly impossible without unacceptable quality issues.

Alternatively release OS X Pro which has no pointless "200 new features" and is optimized to be as reliable and fast as possible. I would pay 50€ for a modern day version of Snow Leopard. Unfortunately El Capitan isn't as great as I was hoping...

I agree - If they are going to continue the yearly releases of OSX and continue down the path of removing and over simplifying some things whilst at the same time adding a ton of unnecessary stuff without the choice... then an OSX Pro would be a great option.

I too would love a modern day Snow Leopard. Lots of little things which made OSX so good have been removed for no apparent reason whilst more and more bloat is added. Of course there are improvements over the years but quite frankly I still use SL and would happily continue to use SL if new software was supported.

Maybe 10.12 will deliver the new SL!!!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'd like Siri, specifically to be able to respond to/initiate dialogs.

e.g.,

OK
Cancel
save
undo

Basic stuff that i just want to stop bugging me, and that i can do while actually working.

I.e., about to do something i might not want in my document, just say the word "save". Mess something up? "undo" or "revert" (to revert to previously saved file).

"OK" or "Cancel" to get dialog boxes to leave me alone to do my work.

edit:
and yes, ZFS or HAMMER would be nice rather than just slapping a few more band-aids onto HFS.

Taj Armstrong

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
I would love to see an evolution of Continuity and Handoff, with abilities such as being able to switch from a Mac to iPhone mid call, or an intelligent notification system that senses when your using one device and doesn't send alerts to all your other devices.

Last edited:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
OS X 10.12 needs an intelligent assistant like iOS 9. My one personal gripe is Safari's slow release cycle. Apple is at risk of being a scapegoat for the web if their browser cannot keep up with the latest features. Everyone else has adopted a rapid release model for their browsers; why can't Apple do the same? Heck, the next major version of Safari will be 10; this is a perfect time to adopt my suggestion ;)

Reactions: Matthew S.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
If we can't actually get Siri on the Mac, I'd like the ability to type out Siri commands via Spotlight. For example, "Text Chris 'See you at the game'" or "Remind me to print the documents when I get to work."

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
I'd like Siri, specifically to be able to respond to/initiate dialogs.

e.g.,

OK
Cancel
save
undo

Basic stuff that i just want to stop bugging me, and that i can do while actually working.

I.e., about to do something i might not want in my document, just say the word "save". Mess something up? "undo" or "revert" (to revert to previously saved file).

"OK" or "Cancel" to get dialog boxes to leave me alone to do my work.

You can issue voice commands through Dictation and Accessibility. You'll need to turn on Dictation (under Speech) and turn on Dictation Commands and enable advanced commands.(under Accessiblity)

For example:

Open Pages. Hello world. Close window. Click Don't Save. Click File menu. Click New. Some more text. Close window. Press escape key [ == Cancel button]. Close window. Press Return key. [ == Save button].

Reactions: throAU and ErikGrim

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Little things that would make OS X much better:

Supercharged Mission Control (check muckups below):
- Ability to close windows within mission control
- Ability to see minimized windows in mission control (requires "System Preferences>Dock>Minimize Windows into aplication window" checked)
- Hide Safari's Private Window contents in Mission Control.

Notification center:
- Display an icon in Notifications button when new notifications are available. For example, if there is 3 new notifications, put "Notifications (3)". This means users who use Today view frequently don't need to click in notifications to see if there is anything there.
- Set default pane of notification center in "System Preferences>Notification".

Supercharged Dock:
- Right click on Safari shows "New Window" and "New Private Window" even when Safari is closed.
- 4th option in stacks: List view with big thumbnails.
- Ability to chose default behavior in "System Preferences>Dock" of Folder clicks in stacks, when using Grid and List view: To open the folder in Stacks or to go directly to Finder.

Interface:
- Reducing transparency no longer makes the interface white / grey / black. Instead, the interface applies a color based on wallpaper to areas like Dock and upper bar of mission control. Those elements turn opaque.

Some wishful thinking:

- Get rid of iTunes and create Music.app, Videos.app, Podcasts.app and include audiobooks and books inside a Books.app. Create a different app to to sync iOS devices with computer.
- Ability to edit what's in Launchpad.
- QuickTime to support more codecs.
- Make quicktime behave like Preview when multiple files are selected (load them in a playlist instead of opening multiple windows, all playing at the same time).
- Preview to display flawlessly doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt and pptx documents.
- System wide active sync exchange support (PLEASE!!! :D )
- Siri button in Spotlight

Mission control (poorly made) muckups:

HD68btg.jpg

vmBr8qT.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.